DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Paul Harfield

DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER?

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi

Does anybody remember a Television Programme about British Butterflies that I think was on in the late 70s or 80's. I can not remember the exact title or a lot else about it, but I think it was presented by Robert Goodden. It was a short series (maybe 4 episodes?) and was on mid morning whilst I was at school as I remember, probably on BBC2. I think it was fairly poor quality and was pre-internet, pre-digital and probably pre-Channel 4.

I know I will probably will not learn anything from it, just curious really.

The only thing I can clearly remember from it is his bit on Purple Emperors: He parked his white car in a clearing in the New Forest (which I understand is now not alive with them) and waited for them to descend onto it!

I have done some searching and can only find references to the' Butterflies' comedy series which of course everybody has heard of.

If any body can provide a you tube link that would be great

thanks
Nigel P

Re: DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER?

Post by Nigel P »

All I can find is this:

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/mivana/mediapl ... s&type=mp4

is that the one you mean?

N
David M

Post by David M »

So sad that the footage is no longer available. I'd have loved to have seen it.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I remember seeing "Elusive Butterflies" when it was on in the 70s. I believe there was some explanation of the various species, footage of butterflies, and then the presenter (Gordon Trebilcock) showing his "catch" of set (dead) specimens at the end. While we may frown on this today, I think this was a series "of its time".

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Guys

The link posted by Nigel P has expired and will not play, but I have searched a bit more and found this
http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/mivana/mediapl ... s&type=mp4
It was made by Southern Television from their Dover Studios apparently. This link plays a very short clip, to be honest I am not sure if this is the programme I remember. I am getting older and although I have a good memory, it was long time ago :?

I have just checked to see if the linked works and this one does not play either but I could watch it from the original search, not sure what is going on there :?:
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

This one should work, scroll down to the correct programme
http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvsouth/sout ... ammes.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Good to see 'Out of Town' on there! Parts of this long-running Southern Television/ITV series can still be purchased on DVD (see Amazon and other suppliers), and I have Volumes 1 - 9 (Episodes 1 - 27). However, there is now a Box Set available, with additional footage and behind-the-scenes material.

The 'Out of Town' DVDs provide a nostalgic look back at a period of rapid change within the British countryside, when anyone in my age group (I'm 53), or older, was growing up. Aside from providing a documentary of social change, they provide like-minded folk with a vivid journey back in time. As a kid I never missed an episode - it was my favourite TV programme. I still have Jack Hargreaves' signature in my wallet, cut from the base of a letter he wrote in response to my (or my brother's?) query about tench fishing rods.

I also have two of his books; 'Out of Town' and 'The Old Country' - both excellent.

It's never possible to turn the clock back but, by watching or reading Jack Hargreaves, I sometimes wish we could! Rather better than the 'Real Housewives of ...' series which seems to have replaced it.

BWs, Neil
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Well said Neil - Good old Jack Hargreaves was also a hero of mine and his simple laid-back explanations of how to cast a fly or similar on "Out of Town" really did make a big impression on me a s a kid. He was also perfect for (and I think came up with the idea for) "HOW!" the programme with Fred Dineage which explained the things every kid wanted to know. No internet then i'm afraid!

Ah, those were the days.

Trev (age 53 and a third) 1961 was a good year wasn't it Neil.

PS: If we are looking for old butterfly-related things, here's a tester...
Does anyone else remember a cake company who made 12" victoria sponges which they sold in boxes with British Butterflies on the back (probably in the 1970's). I used to cut out the butterflies and had them hanging from cotton thread in my bedroom along with my collection of Airfix model planes.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Out of Town was my favourite programme too - just about the only place you could see fishing on the TV. My sister was into her horses and there was always a cheer or boo if fishing or horses were the subject if the programme. Jacks gentle voice was instantly recognisable, and the work of cameraman, Stan Brehaut I think, was excellent, he always seemed to find some interesting wildlife to include when filming outdoors and really captured the essence of 'being there' not just the particular country pursuit in question. If I remember he also made another programme, 'Country Boy' with Ollie Kite, also on Southern Television, where they introduced a boy from the city to the ways of country?
Great memories of a quieter and less hurried world.
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Trev Sawyer wrote:Well said Neil - Good old Jack Hargreaves was also a hero of mine and his simple laid-back explanations of how to cast a fly or similar on "Out of Town" really did make a big impression on me a s a kid. He was also perfect for (and I think came up with the idea for) "HOW!" the programme with Fred Dineage which explained the things every kid wanted to know. No internet then i'm afraid!

Ah, those were the days.

Does anyone else remember a cake company who made 12" victoria sponges which they sold in boxes with British Butterflies on the back (probably in the 1970's). I used to cut out the butterflies and had them hanging from cotton thread in my bedroom along with my collection of Airfix model planes.
This thread seems to have got all your reminiscing thoughts flowing :D I too was an avid watcher of Jack Hargreaves on 'Out Of Town' with my father. I think it always followed the TVS news or 'Day By Day' as it was called in Southern TV days.

I don't know about your Victoria Sponges Trev, but does anybody remember these
http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Ot ... ction1.jpg
given away with Ready Brek in the 70's. I am 50 this year by the way, a bit younger than you Oldies :wink:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark and Trev,
It comes as no surprise that good ole Jack had such an impact on some other UKB members.
I remember Ollie Kite too (Kite's Country?), and being saddened by his death, which I recall being on the banks of a river, while out fishing.
I also remember 'How' quite clearly. Thanks to Jack, Jon, Fred and Bunty I know how to get a hen's egg through the neck of a milk bottle.
1961 was indeed a fine vintage.
BWs, Neil (53 and five sixths)
David M

Post by David M »

jackz432r wrote:This one should work, scroll down to the correct programme
http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itvsouth/sout ... ammes.html
I see Brendon Chase is on there too!

As a child, I watched this series with fascination - I recall Christopher Biggins' character was a butterfly enthusiast and there's one scene where he gets carried away over a Purple Emperor sighting.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Out of Town and How were popular viewing at our house !

I purchased a few episodes of Out of Town on VHS... i'm sure they are around here somewhere :wink:

Charles
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil (53 and five sixths) and Trev (age 53 and a third)
Sorry, I don't remember that programme.

But do recall seeing a Peacock when I was approximately 6.7 and a Comma when about 9.7 even though Commas weren't supposes to occur in Norfolk in those days. Large Tortoiseshell at 10.5 and I would have been about 12.5 when I saw my first Swallowtail and White Admiral (Norfolk) a few weeks later. The final species on the English list was Mountain Ringlet (not Norfolk :evil: ) at age 37.6.

Jack (now 76.0658 and counting)
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Paul Harfield wrote: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:33 pm
Trev Sawyer wrote:Well said Neil - Good old Jack Hargreaves was also a hero of mine and his simple laid-back explanations of how to cast a fly or similar on "Out of Town" really did make a big impression on me a s a kid. He was also perfect for (and I think came up with the idea for) "HOW!" the programme with Fred Dineage which explained the things every kid wanted to know. No internet then i'm afraid!

Ah, those were the days.

This thread seems to have got all your reminiscing thoughts flowing :D I too was an avid watcher of Jack Hargreaves on 'Out Of Town' with my father. I think it always followed the TVS news or 'Day By Day' as it was called in Southern TV days.

I don't know about your Victoria Sponges Trev, but does anybody remember these
http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Ot ... ction1.jpg
given away with Ready Brek in the 70's. I am 50 this year by the way, a bit younger than you Oldies :wink:
Bouncing this nostalgic thread as I just happened upon this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PlV6WkLyF8

I started Secondary school in September '75. My mum refused to buy me a pair of Oxford bags, so I was mercilessly teased for wearing "grandad trousers", a pair from M&S made from considerably less material.

I don't remember this butterfly collection at all though. Despite its warming glow we never had Ready Brek, but we did build up a massive collection of stackable totem pole heads earlier in the '70s - free inside Cornflakes packets I think.

Return to “General”