Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by MikeOxon »

Shades of Wicker Man?

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Shades of Wicker Man?
I had to look that up.

Jack

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Jack Harrison wrote:Jigsaw Puzzle

...Chequered Skipper. 63 piece puzzle.....
Thank's Jack, I enjoyed that !
Its a good job that you don't have to rotate the pièces as well :roll:
Chris

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Big SLRs in the wrong hands

I was returning yesterday from the mainland and leaning over the rail of the ferry hoping for a good sunset.
14-11-17-084-sunset from ferry.jpg
But it was disappointing.

A woman was also leaning over the rail holding her 5 kilogram thousand-pound DSLR to photograph the sunset and raised the flash which of course fired when she snapped.

I made a comment about how powerful the flash must be to illuminate the distant land. She simply didn't understand and looked at me in complete bewilderment.

Jack

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I'm sure that everyone on UKB will join me in wishing Jack a very Happy Birthday today.
He is not expecting anybody to remember :)

Vince

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Happy Birthday, Jack. That's two before 6am! :D
Best Wishes, Neil

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Jack,
I'm not sure that eating birthday cake is recommended before breakfast but I hope you have a very
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! (6:22am :D )
Best Wishes,
Philip

Kind Regards,
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Happy Birthday, Jack!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Happy birthday Jack, from the South of France. I wish you good health for the coming year.
Cheers, Chris

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Many happy returns of the day, Jack. Go easy on the single malt ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

All the best, Jack. Many happy returns.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Happy Birthday !

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy B'day Jack.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Happy birthday Jack, hope it was a good one.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Best wishes for a great day, Jack!

Dave

Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Happy birthday Jack

Post by Gruditch »

A day late, but I nearly remembered, happy birthday Jack, hope you had a good one :D

Regards Gruditch

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Evenings drawing out Ref an earlier discussion

Here on Mull, earliest sunset was on 15th December. On the equator, it was approx 1st November. (and in between for latitudes between zero and 56N)

It may seem strange that earliest sunset is not on the shortest day (that is 21s December). This is because the Earth’s axis is tilted and the orbit is not a perfect circle.

Good explanation for those interested here:

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandquer ... 85,00.html

BTW thanks to for the birthday wishes some ten days ago.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

BBC posted about this today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30549149

Precise time of solstice is 2303 GMT.

For interest, South Pole webcam:

http://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

Every direction you look is north!

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Spotted that myself earlier today, Jack.

I had always wanted a better understanding of how mornings continued to get darker after 21st December.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

There's another simple reason for sunrises/sunsets not being symmetrical, which doesn't depend on axis tilt or an elliptical orbit.

During the roughly 365 days in a year, the earth rotates on its axis 366 times. The difference is the result of the earth completing an orbit around the sun. (i.e. if the earth didn't rotate at all, we would still experience one 'day' per year) Between each sunrise and sunset, a small part of this 'orbital' day passes, which corresponds to a few minutes during each 'rotation' day.

Mike
EDITED after Jack Harrison pointed out I did my sums backwards!!!
Last edited by MikeOxon on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”