Web4160

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
web4160

Re: Web4160

Post by web4160 »

I've been visiting Gait Barrows for about the last five years and its one of my favourite sites. Always very peaceful and easily linked with a visit to Arnside Knott which is about 5 miles away. Four is the most Duke's I have seen on a single visit. Not sure if its the furthest North in the UK you can find Dukes. There are also some sights in North Yorkshire near the coast which must be at a similar latitude.

I've probably seen more Speckled Wood this year than any other species. We divide our time between Lancashire and Nort Somerset and I actually saw my first one of the year in North Somerset on 18 February.

David

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have been up to Arnside the past couple of years for Scotch Argus late July/early August but didn't realise Gait Barrows was that close.

I will be up there again this year, earlier this time, second week in June. I am guessing that the Duke of Burgundies will have finished at Gait Barrows by then.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Yes nornmally the Dukes are finished by the end of May. Should still be Dark Green and High Brown Fritillaries at both sites in late July as well as Northern Brown Argus.

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Returned to Walton Common to look for Grizzled Skippers but failed to find any. The number of Brimstones had increased markedly from our last visit and I stopped counting at 70+. What was interesting is that on the northern part of the site all the Brimstones seen were females whilst on the southern side nearly all those seen were males. Other butterflies seen were Green Haistreaks 10, Speckled Wood 5, and singles of Orange Tip, Green Viened White, Small White and Holly Blue.

Hoping to visit Sand Point near Weston Super Mare tomorrow to see if the Glanville's are out yet.
Attachments
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Brimstone
Brimstone
Brimstone
Brimstone
Last edited by web4160 on Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

web4160 wrote:The number of Brimstones had increased markedly from our last visit and I stopped counting at 70+
Amazing tally!! Spring Brimstones are rarely seen in such density - even the summer brood usually only appears in concentrations lower than 30.

Hoping to visit Sand Point near Weston Super Mare tomorrow to see if the Granville's are out yet.
Two things:

1. I think Glanvilles died a death at Sand Point last year due to the abnormally cold spring. Bill (Willrow) and I visited independently on warm days in peak flight season and failed to find any.

2. The Somerset and Bristol BC Branch has yet to report a Glanville this spring, and given that Sand Point is the only place where this species has been recorded I think it's safe to say you'll almost certainly draw a blank (I hope I'm wrong - good luck if you decide to travel).

web4160

Post by web4160 »

We did get to Sand Point today. The weather was glorious 21 degrees. No Glanvilles but did see 2 Wall and 2 Brown Argus as well as 20+ Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell, Large and Small White.

The area where I have seen Granvilles previously looks in better condition than in previous years. The Somerset and Bristol Butterfly Conservation website lists the first sighting last year as 6 June so probably too early for this year if they are still there.
Attachments
Small White
Small White
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Common Blue
Common Blue

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Visited arnside Knott for the forst time this year yesterday. Very different from how it will be in about a month's time when there should be large fritillaries and grayling everywhere. Yesterday despite it being sunny and warm we only saw a total of about 15 butterflies. Small Heath and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries were the most common with 5 of each seen. Other butterflies seen were Large Whites and a solitary and very fresh Speckled Wood.
Attachments
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary - Arnside Knott
Small Heath - Arnside Knott
Small Heath - Arnside Knott

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Visited Walton Common for the first time in a month yesterday. The marjoram is now out over a large part of the common.

13 species of butterflies seen in total, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Peacock, Brimstone, Green Veined White, Silver Washed and Dark Green Fritillary, Large and Small Skippers and Marbled White. The most common being Gatekeeper with Silver Washed Fritillary, and newly emerged Peacock and Brimstone providing the next largest numbers to be seen.
Attachments
DSC04519_edited-1.JPG
DSC04512_edited-1.JPG
DSC04515_edited-1.JPG
DSC04504_edited-1.JPG

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Made it back to Arnside Knott yesterday before the rain set in. Still a good number of Scotch Argus to be seen although few other butterflies about with small numbers only of Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Small White as well as a solitary Grayling and a male Brimstone.
Attachments
Grayling - Arnside Knott
Grayling - Arnside Knott
Scotch Argus - Arnside Knott

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Still some butterflies about even in the North. Parked in Haworth and found a Red Admiral and a Comma on an Ivy Bush. Still there when we returned after an hour. The photos were taken on my camera phone.
Attachments
Red Admiral, Howarth, West Yorkshire
Red Admiral, Howarth, West Yorkshire
Comma, Howarth, West Yorkshire
Comma, Howarth, West Yorkshire

David M

Post by David M »

No surprise that both were seen on ivy.

This plant is a godsend for butterflies during October and early November.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's cracking news Web4160 :D I haven't seen a butterfly for a week down here :mrgreen: so it's good to now that the season is still limping on elsewhere :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Even warmer up here today 17 degrees. Unfortunately I had to go to Liverpool today for work so no chance of looking for butterflies.

web4160

Post by web4160 »

Finally managed to spend a week out and about in the South West for the first time this year. So far have managed to visit Breakheart Quarry and Stinchcombe Hill in Gloucestershire and Walton Common, Sand Point and Dolebury Warren in Somerset. The most common butterflies seen across the 5 sites have been Brimstones and perhaps surprisingly Brown Argus which seem to be having a very good year.

Breakheart Quarry was noticeable for both Grizzled and Dingy Skippers whilst at Stinchcome which is about a mile away Adonis Blue, Common Blue and Brown Argus were numerous. The main butterflies at Walton Common were Brimstone and Brown Argus whilst at Sand Point Common Blue, Speckled Wood and Brown Argus were plentiful. Also seen were 3 Wall Browns. Finally at Dolebury Common Blue were out in numbers with occasional Brown Argus with a solitary Wall and the first Meadow Brown I have seen this year.

Other butterflies seen include Orange Tip, Small Heath, Small Green Veined and Large White and a solitary Painted Lady
Attachments
Dolebury Warren
Dolebury Warren
Dolebury Warren
Dolebury Warren
Dolebury Warren
Dolebury Warren
Sand Point
Sand Point
Sand Point
Sand Point
Walton Common
Walton Common
Walton Common
Walton Common
Stinchcombe Hill
Stinchcombe Hill
Breakheart Quarry
Breakheart Quarry
Stinchcombe Hill
Stinchcombe Hill
Stinchcombe Hill
Stinchcombe Hill
Breakheart Quarry
Breakheart Quarry

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Continued to visit Sites in South Gloucestershire today. At Prestbury Hills although it was cold 11 degrees and only intermittently sunny we managed to find 2 Duke of Burgundies, and one each of Small Blue and Green Hairstreak. The only Butterfly which was more plentiful was Small Heath.

In the afternoon on the off chance of finding a Pearl Bordered Fritillary we tried the Bathurst Estate near Cirencester. A little to our surprise having walked 50 metres from the car we saw two individuals. The sun then went in and no further butterflies were seen!
Attachments
Prestbury Hills
Prestbury Hills
Bathurst Estate
Bathurst Estate
Prestbury Hills
Prestbury Hills
Prestbury Hills
Prestbury Hills

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

Just come back from two weeks in Kefalonia. This was basically a beach holiday although there were quite a few butterflies about. A total of 17 species were seen. These were in order of frequency, Scarce Swallowtail, Painted Lady, Small White, Southern Small White, Large White, Clouded Yellow, Swallowtail, Sage Skipper, Wall Brown, Large Wall Brown, Southern Comma, Southern White Admiral, Long Tail Blue, Two Tailed Pasha, Eastern Wood White, Lang's Short Tailed Blue, and Cleopatra. Some photos below.
Attachments
DSC05432_edited-1.JPG
DSC05450_edited-1.JPG
DSC05481_edited-1.JPG
DSC05444_edited-1.JPG
DSC05363_edited-1.JPG
DSC05386_edited-1.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”