seeing two-tailed Pasha

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Steve Babbs

seeing two-tailed Pasha

Post by Steve Babbs »

Hi all

I'm presently planning a trip around France, probably including Corsica (and maybe a bit of Italy and Switzerland) for next July/August. I'm really keen to see two-tailed pasha. The flight times are given as August to October. I presume that means I want to make sure I'm in suitable areas at the end of August rather than the beginning? Anyone any thoughts on 'average' emergence dates? Any advice on tops spots?

Any tips gratefully received.

Regards

Steve
FISHiEE

Re: seeing two-tailed Pasha

Post by FISHiEE »

I was in the southern part Corsica 2nd and 3rd weeks of September last year and two tailed pasha were the most common butterfly by far. Find a prickly pear or fig tree and you will find several but really you could see them often from the Car just driving around. Low areas near the coast were best as inland is very thick scrub and forest with few clearings. I can look up some names of some places where they were quite common.
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

One of the easiest butterflies to breed too. As long as you have a good Arbutus unedo. Until I destroyed it to make way for a double garage a dozen years ago, my Strawberry Tree bought as a single 30cm high seedling in 1972 was the size of a small bus! Reared dozens of this fine insect in sleeves on that tree. The first time I obtained ova from captive bred imagines at first I was disappointed as all the eggs collapsed one by one ... little dents in them ... :(... Surely a sign of infertility... Few days later I looked at them again on my small potted bush to see lots of 1st instar larvae eating on the leaves. All the eggs were fertile after all. Very powerful flyer too.

Look for the ova or larvae on bushes where they fly.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Thanks for the replies. Will I be late enough? I'll have to leave southern France by the last week of August at the latest.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Steve,
Re flight times of 2nd generation Two-tailed Pasha:
In the area of Marseilles, South of France:
=> 2013 : First sighting August 21, through to Calendar Week 42 (mid October)
=> 2014 : First sighting August 01, through to at least Calendar Week 37 (mid September). It may still be flying as I write (I will go and check at midday today - how's that for service ?).

This 3-week difference between 2013 and 2014 may be due to the general 2 to 3 week advance on the season we had down here this year due to the last mild winter.
So, to resume, in a normal year, I would aim at 3rd week in August as a good average for first appearance of the 2nd generation.

Eggs are easy to spot on the upperside of Stawberry Tree leaves.

Chris
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Hi Steve

I was slightly further South than Marseille this year, in the Carcassonne area. I saw the first Pasha on 7th August. They were still flying merrily when i left on 3rd September.

They love fruit such as figs as well as dog poo etc.

There are lots of pics & vids here:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2666925@N20/

Charles

8) 8)
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

As promised, I checked at lunchtime and the TTP is still flying in the scrub near my workplace in Vitrolles, South of France.
And here is a photo of one taken today, looking a bit worn (it was quite docile):
jasius17_13 Vitrolles garrigue 01 Oct 2014 (3).JPG
jasius17_13 Vitrolles garrigue 01 Oct 2014 (1).JPG
And just to whet your appetite Steve, there is no reason why you shouldn't see these either on your hols (also taken today during lunchbreak):
machaon11_13 Vitrolles garrigue 01 Oct 2014 (1).JPG
crocea20_13 pair Vitrolles garrigue 01 Oct 2014 (1).JPG
Perhaps Roger Gibbons or Colin (CFB) know some hot spots - depends on your itinery.
Cheers, Chris
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Thanks just what I was after. It confirmed what I thought that I better that I need to leave Corsica/Nice/Marseille are to the last week of the holiday.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Steve,

My last sightings of TTP were in South Of France during the last two weeks of August. Several seen along the Esterel coast south of Cannes, prefering as they do a fairly open sight with scrub and low bushes/trees.
The hotspot that I found was the eastern edge of Lac De Cassien near Cannes.

Regards Kev Ling
Attachments
Pasha.jpg
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Beautiful picture, kevling. Makes me wish I'd made more of an effort to see these when I was down that way in August.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

I've now decided to miss out Corsica: I think the crowds in August may derive me nuts so I'm going to do a May visit another year. I'd be very interest in good butterfly spots and places to base myself in southern France. Going slightly off topic I'd also be very interested in good spots in Switzerland and western Italy. Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
kevling

Post by kevling »

Steve,

I am returning to the South of France next August too. The last time I was there, I spent most of my time along the coast between Cannes & Monaco. As previously mentioned Lac Du Cassien was good for TTP. The Gorge Du Loup was packed with different species too. This is slightly inland close to the village of Gourdon.
A little further north is Dignes Le Bains, home of "Le jardin des papilons". Over 100 species have been seen at this butterlfy reserve. I did not go there, but plan to save up enough 'brownie points' during 2015, to sneek a visit with the family.
As for Switzerland, my best encounters were in Zermatt (although in June). The flower meadows below the Matterhorn were excellant (especially the large numbers of Apollo). A look at Guy Padfields personal diary and website will help you more.

Kind Regards
Kev Ling
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I saw Two-tailed Pasha on Corsica earlier this year near Lama. My first sighting was on 23rd July, then again on 26th July circling an 'Oak type tree' (unsure of the exact species). I got quite excited as I thought this was a little early. It could have been the same individual on both occasions, but it never landed, so I did not get a photo. This was a remote inland area near the villa we stayed at.
A few years ago I went to Gibraltar to search for Two-tailed Pasha. We parked the car at the Spanish side waiting to cross the runway, I got out the car and one immediately flew over my head, great views, no chance of a photo though. I saw more in the botanical gardens on Gibraltar, but I still did not manage a photo, so I love any photos of this species (I get a bit envious though). Again, this was in July as the school holidays had just began and myself and my family flew out as soon as they had broken up.
Interestingly last year I visited a site in northern Greece which was supposed to be a dead cert for Two-tailed Pasha, with lots of strawberry trees and saw absolutely none in perfect weather.
I will write an account of my Corsica trip soon.

Regards
Mike
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Pasha fans may like to watch my Corfu movie:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captainca ... 168954953/

:P
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Thanks for the information. I think Lac de Saint-Cassien will have to go on the itinerary. Kev, I notice on an earlier thread that you also saw lesser purple emperor there. Would it be possible to have more details where? By pm if you feel it appropriate.

Return to “Overseas”