Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've been going back through my Comma photo's taken so far this year and I took a couple whilst on Holiday in Hampshire, one at the cottage where we stayed, one in the New Forest, and one recently in the my back Garden, they all seem different, is this a common trait with Comma's :?: I'd be interested to know.Goldie :D

The first one is taken in My Garden,
The second in the New Forest,
The third at Carter's Cove nr Bently Wood
Attachments
Comma BG 7th Sept 2014 IMG_7871.JPG
Comma NF 10th July 2014 IMG_6789.JPG
Comma C C 7th july 2014 IMG_6660.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots, I particularly like the last one Goldie :D I reckon the Hampshire and Bentley ones are the summer form Hutchinsoni as they have a more uniform orangey colour, whereas the later one is the usual Comma which has more shades of brown in it's colouring?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzal, it's great to get feed back on these things, I'd already got a side view shot of an Hutchinson taken in the garden on the 7th Sept ( many thanks to Mike Oxon for telling me about that) I didn't realize I'd already got pictures of two earlier :D

This morning I was in the Garden with my Husband, we were planting a new bush when this Red Admiral landed on my flowers, I took some pic's (has you do) then noticed it had a couple of black spots on it's wings where it should have been a line of straight black on orange, we seem to be getting a lot of Admiral's lately with different characteristics, I wonder if the last two Summers we've had as any thing to do with it.

Does this Butterfly go under any other name because of this :?: There seems to be so many different categories for Butterflies which is good and interesting but if your still learning a bit confusing :? :D

I've taken a picture of one with an extra Black spot in the wing , that comes under one category, I know but what about the Butterfly with with the missing black spot and now this one ,it makes your head spin :lol:

The first three I took in the Garden today the last picture also in the garden but taken on August 30th Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral BG 16th Sept 2014 IMG_7999.JPG
Red Admiral BG 16th Sept 2014 IMG_8001.JPG
Red Admiral BG 16th Sept 2014 IMG_8000.JPG
Red Admiral BG 30th August 2014 IMG_7705.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Red Admirals Goldie :D I'm not up on my aberrant RAs so can't come up with any names for the variations you've noticed. That's the great thing - there's always something new to learn :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I'm with Wurzel, Goldie, nice Red Admiral shots :D you never know what your going to see, thats the beauty of butterflies :D

Mike

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Lovely pictures and very interesting marking.
Debbie

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks every one for your comments, your certainly right Mike about the beauty of butterflies, some times like my Red Admirals you don't notice any thing until you check your photo's (well I don't) :D then it's so exciting to find some thing like this. :D

I've put the Red Admiral(1st Pic) into "Imago Abberrations" Wurzal, when I looked into the photo's there I saw one very similar except the other one has some Orange on it's wing, I'm not sure what to do with the last one so I'll leave it and see if some one comes up with anther similar to it. :D

Thanks for your comments Debbie, it's great to be able to talk to you in postings and see your photo's :D

I was going through some photo's I'd taken a few weeks ago and thought these funny. My Daughter for one of my Christmas presents bought me a small Butterfly house, in it there's a sponge roller, you've got to put this mixture of sugar and water on to it. I was very sceptical at the time but decided to try it out any way this Summer, the following photo's show a Comma who like me was also sceptical :lol: and landed on the top of it never touching the Roller at all :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
Comma ON Butterfly Feeder BG 8th Sept 2014 IMG_7908.JPG
Comma On Butterfly Feeder BG 8th Sept 2014 IMG_7907.JPG
Comma On Butterfly Feeder BG 8th Sept 2014 IMG_7906.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Aumsing sequence that, Goldie. Commas do seem to have a penchant for wooden objects. I think they use it to warm themselves.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

This one certainly did David :D The only one I saw actually settle on the box like that.Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I bet every butterfly knows that flowers only produce nectar in sunshine, so they're not going to look under the lid of your butterfly house. I expect that the bright yellow roof attracts them and, if you could arrange a little trough of sugar solution along the apex, it might work - A bit like the arrangement they have in butterfly houses.
Feeding Station at RHS Wisley
Feeding Station at RHS Wisley
Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

An amusing occurrence Goldie, I reckon it didn't attract any other butterflies because the Comma had declared it as it's territory and was standing guard, only taking nectar when you weren't looking :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, great Red Admiral photos and lovely little tale of the butterfly house :D
MikeOxon wrote:I bet every butterfly knows that flowers only produce nectar in sunshine, so they're not going to look under the lid of your butterfly house.
Mike
I can't help noticing that the wooden upright that supports the roller has got the sun shining directly on it at the back, turning it around might help :wink:

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi!, I went out to the box this morning and it was on the ground, my Husband had put bits of cheese out for the birds and the Starlings had knocked it over, so I've placed it facing the Sun has you suggested Neil, we'll see what happens now :D

Love the Photo of the Butterfly feeding Mike I'll try that as well :D

Your right about the the Comma Wurzal , he looks like he's standing guard, :D however it 's the Speckled Wood that usually chase' s other Butterflies off, it's had a go at the Admiral's a few times, talking about SW and Admiral's on Sunday we went back to Rossendale Valley, we were both born there and we get nostalgic every now and then as you do :D ( besides, they've lovely flowers in the park) :lol: Some one at Lanc's Butterflies had seen Clouded Yellow there a week before so I thought you never know they may still be around.

We got there, and I was pleased to find lot's of flowers still in bloom ( the parks called "Stubb-Lee" and it's in Bacup which is part of the Valley) there were lots of Red Admiral's there so I took some some photo's. Sadly no sign of CY.

On our way home the weather was still a bit cloudy but warm so we decided to visit Hall-Lee-Brook near our home, that's when I saw the Speckled Wood.

At first I thought it looked slightly different so decided to take a shot, I managed one before it shot off into the tree's, their so quick, my camera just got a blurred vision but it looks like it's body or part of it's body is cream coloured .
On my photo it looks like it's got a plaster stuck on it :D the blurred photo at least shows it's cream mid section, any views on this :?: Goldie :D
Attachments
Speckled Wood Flying Off HLB 21st Sept 2014 IMG_8059.JPG
Speckled Wood HLB 21st Sept 2014 IMG_8058.JPG
Red Admiral's Stubb-Lee-Park Bacup 21st Sept 2014 IMG_8051.JPG
Red Admiral's SLP Bacup 21st Sept 2014 IMG_8050.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nothing much to report on here, yesterday in my back garden I saw a comma and a Red Admiral I took some photo's which I've not yet added to my computer, I also took a couple of a Red Admiral shots on Monday which I'll post and then carry on and Finish baking my scones which I've strawberries all ready to put in them, Yummy! :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral BG 22nd Sept 2014 006.JPG
Red Admiral BG 22nd Sept 2014 007.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

That Red Admiral seems to be enjoying what looks like 'Bowles Mauve' Goldie, we also have some and it flowers all summer. As for your strawberry scones, they sound delicious :D

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the Red Admiral pairs Goldie, nice composition :D It's finally gone quiet down here - though I did have a Clouded Yellow at the weekend as a possible final flourish 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, if " Bowles Mauve" is a perennial Wall Flower then it's the same has yours and it certainly attracts the Butterflies like you say all Summer and mine lasted into the Winter as well last year, so I bought one for the front garden this year as well :D The Scones incidentally I filled with Jam and fresh cream, all gone now :D and we're two pounds heavier :D

Glad you liked the Red Admirals Wurzal, they seem to have vanished after Sunday but I've had a Comma each day since then and just one rather tatty Small Tortoiseshell, I also took a photograph of a spider after I nearly walked into it's web Ugh! :shock:
You lucky thing seeing a Clouded Yellow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: now I'm envious, I'll have to wait until next year now :(

My first Photo of a RA was taken on the 23rd Sept, my second on the 24th I thought it was the same RA at first then I saw the Difference.

It's been nothing but Comma's since then :D Oh! and Spider's :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
Spider BG 29th Sept 2014 046.JPG
Comma BG 26th Sept 2014 028.JPG
Comma BG 29th Sept 2014 034.JPG
Red Admiral BG 24th Sept 2014 004.JPG
Red Admiral BG 23rd August 2014 IMG_7631.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI,Goldie.I think you need to plan a couple of summer hols.here in Sussex.Botany Bay,which is mostly in Surrey,is quite reliable for Wood White,very good this year,and Purple Emperor also good this year.Then a visit to Steyning Rifle Range for Brown Hairstreak,very good this Aug. I have never been to Bentley wood so I am not sure how good it is.But it is all down to luck and the weather!.TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, that all sounds good to me, looks like i'd have to come twice though, August for the BHS and it's July I think for the the other two if I'm right.

"Bently Wood" is in Hampshire and it seems PEM are best seen there towards the end of July. I was there about the 12th for a week, no luck, how ever I did get some good photo's of the Silver Washed Frit so I was pleased with that.

That's Botany Bay on my list for next year for certain, of course we'll spend the Winter finding all these new places from the maps:D
You mentioned Steyning ,is that near to Botany Bay. ? I'll look it up any way and get our plans going :D

Can I ask you please when you were at these places, just to get a more accurate time of year, I know you said it's all luck and the weather but a bit of knowledge also helps :D Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Goldie,

If you want to get the best out of these species and these sites you really need three trips, so perhaps it might be better to spread your away-days over a couple of seasons. Timing is everything!

For Wood White at Botany Bay I would recommend visiting during the spring brood, some time in the third week of May. Given even modest breaks in the cloud and a little warmth you can't miss! At this time of year the woods are lush and the nightingales are singing. Wood Whites reappear in mid/late July, but by then the Purple Emperors have stopped coming down to the rides in good numbers (and in good condition). You mention late July for looking for Purple Emperor, but that's a little too late to get them at their best. In most years they are all-but-over by about 25th July, with only a few ragged males and elusive females left.

For Purple Emperor at Botany Bay I would recommend the first week of July. On hot days you need to start quite early, as they start to land on the tracks before 10 am, and particularly between 11 am and midday. There will be plenty of people looking and to help locate grounded males.

For Brown Hairstreak at Steyning Rifle Range I would recommend the third and fourth weeks in August. Start at 11 am on a very warm and sunny day and you can't go far wrong.

BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”