Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic series of shots and excellent reportage Neil :D I'm just wondering how long it'll be before Pauline is heading down to Kernow, what with 60% blue spots :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:... I'm just wondering how long it'll be before Pauline is heading down to Kernow, what with 60% blue spots :wink:
Wurzel
Hee hee! ...I was just thinking that myself :lol:

Some really fantastic reports recently Neil and accompanied by some superb images. I followed the unfolding story of the Map Butterflies at Swanage with interest and your report does a great job of summing it all up.

It has been some years since I have been to Cornwall but your reports (along with Essexbuzzzards earlier in the year) are tempting me to think about a visit next year.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cornish Copper (Part 3)

The final stretch of Cornish coastline which I enjoyed immensely was between the stunningly beautiful Prussia Cove and Cudden Point, the latter affording wonderful views of St Michael's Mount to the west. This location is well known for its population of Grayling, although this species was over for the year when I visited.
UKB Prussia Cove 5.9.14.jpg
UKB Prussia Cove2 5.9.14.jpg
Prussia Cove, 5.9.14
UKB Cudden Point 5.9.14.jpg
Cudden Point, 5.9.14

It came as almost a surprise to find that this area was not dripping with Small Coppers, although I did see 7, including 4 caeruleopunctata. Other species seen were Clouded Yellow (7), Painted Lady (2), Small Tortoiseshell (14), Red Admiral (6), Wall (1), Common Blue (4), Small Heath (40), Speckled Wood (6), Small White (4), Large White (1), Green-veined White (1) and Hummingbird Hawkmoth (1).
UKB SC2 Kynance Cove to Lizard 5.9.14.jpg
Small Copper male, 5.9.14

As with the previous sites, I was amazed at how vibrant and colourful the flora still was, bearing in mind the time of year. The delicate lilac flowers of Sheep's-bit caught my eye, nestled amongst the Heather. Together with the delicate pink hues of Thrift these subtle colours provided a contrast with the vivid yellow of Fleabane which is so typical of the Cornish coast in September. Several of the Thrift flowers were providing a meal for hungry caterpillars of the Knot Grass moth.
UKB Sheep's-bit (Jasione montana) Cudden Point 5.9.14.jpg
Sheeps-bit, Cudden Point, 5.9.14
UKB Knot Grass larva on Sea Pink 5.9.14.jpg
Knot Grass larva on Thrift, Cudden Point, 5.9.14

It was difficult to drive away from The Lizard, particularly with the sun still shining. Part of me was left behind .... until next time.

Thanks to Lee Slaughter for some pointers. I wish I'd had time to look at Penhale Sands.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well,what can i say-just wish i could get back down there! Absolutely fantastic images. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel and Neil. Essex knows and loves the area, so we need to keep this between ourselves .... shhh :D . The cottages just above Prussia Cove look very inviting and are available for rent - http://prussiacove.co.uk/houses-cottages/. I think I've just sold myself a holiday let.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Local Coppers

Just before heading to Cornwall (31st August) and soon after returning home (8th September) I made brief visits to my local Cissbury Ring. The hoped-for autumn extravaganza of Small Copper hasn't really materialised in Sussex. Not only was my most recent count rather modest (12), but they seemed rather understated in comparison with the Cornwall beasts, being much smaller and less blue. That said, there's no such thing as a bad Small Copper.
UKB SC Cissbury 8.9.14.jpg
Small Copper male, Cissbury Ring, 8.9.14
UKB SC Cissbury 31.8.14.jpg
Small Copper male, Cissbury Ring, 31.8.14

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. But those numbers you saw on the Lizard are staggering-i have found them to be common there,but the numbers you saw are something else,certainly something i have never witnessed there,or anywhere. Congratulations (through gritted teeth!). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,

I've certainly seen nothing like this before in Small Copper. Although the numbers should be put into context (spread over a couple of miles and couple of hours), when compared to my previous best hauls of Small Copper this is still at least twice as good.

To see spectacular events like this requires spot-on timing (a.k.a. 'luck'). I've seen similar abundance spikes in Green Hairstreak on the South Downs in recent years. I think the phenomenon is caused when relatively small areas within the species' overall habitat patch become particularly favourable as breeding sites. In the case of these Small Copper it's the combination of dry stone wall and abundant sorrel plants. In the case of Green Hairstreak it's early stage regeneration of food-plants one to two years after extensive scrub clearance. These hotspots must greatly concentrate ovipositing females, leading to a high density of eggs/larvae/pupae. If you're lucky enough to find these areas while a large hatch is underway, then the numbers can be astonishing.

However, from my experience these events are short-lived, and within a couple of days the numbers will have plummeted, as many of the individuals will disperse back out over the wider landscape. Perhaps the most extreme example I've witnessed was the Chalk Hill Blue population explosion at Friston Gallops in 2012. Within a couple of days some of those butterflies were 18 miles away!

BWs, Neil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Presumably an abundance 'spike' for one species can also be caused by conditions causing a predator species to do badly?

lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Delighted you have a rewarding holiday down here in sunny Cornwall last week. You were really lucky with the weather Neil. The best abundance spike/mass emergence of butterflies I ever had over the past 40 years of butterfly study & watching was a good friend of mine (Barry Ofield) who's now 82 years old & I visited the military part of Penhale Sands in mid-June 2004 & as soon as we got onto the real dunes came across 1000's of Silver-Studded Blues everywhere! There are privet shrubs growing on the dunes and they were in full flower as well as stunted so not more than 2 -3 feet high mostly and there were many 100's if not 1000's nectaring on every big bush in flower. The yellow sedum (Stonecrop) growing in masses & in full flower across certain areas of the dunes were coated with 1000's of these little butterflies & walking put up clouds of them with every step so they resembled confetti blowing about in the breeze! It is a day that neither of us will ever forget & in the now 60+ years Mr Ofield has been interested in Lepidoptera he told me he had never seen a sight quite like that day at Penhale Sands (near Perranporth in North Cornwall). We both agreed that it was impossible to come up with a count of these butterflies but a conservative estimate of maybe 40,000 individual Silver-Studded Blue butterflies were seen by us over a 2 and a half hour visit there.
I should add that there is only open access to the non-military part of the dunes. We both had a permit to access the military training part of the dunes.
What a superb day!
Cheers all,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall). 8) 8)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mike,

Yes, particularly if one extends the definition of "predator" to include the parasitoids (rather than parasites) which often target early stages in the butterfly life-cycle. These probably have a larger impact than most true predators (invertebrates, small mammals etc.), as parasitoids are generally more numerous than true predators, at least while at or near the peak of an abundance cycle. That said, predation by passerines during their breeding season probably has a significant influence on butterfly and moth numbers in some years. Matthew Oates has correlated the abundance of woodland tits with Purple Emperor larval survival rates over the winter, with the former possibly being a function of weather conditions. In mild, damp winters the effects of moulds are probably even more influential in determining peaks and troughs. We know too little about the role of pathogens at the moment.

As for adult butterflies, we probably underestimate the impact of predators, such as wasps, hornets, dragonflies and spiders, although the rates of attrition at this stage in their life-cycle will generally be smaller when compared to that in the early stages, when each species is represented by a much higher number of individuals.

Butterflies and moths are certainly up against it, and there so many different factors affecting their adult numbers, often acting in combinations, that it can sometimes be difficult to identify the reason(s) for a sudden peak or trough.

Hi Lee,

Thanks, we had a great time down there on your patch. Your star-spangled Silver-studded Blue day sounds fantastic. I've only ever managed to see the species in the low hundreds at best.

BWs, Neil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you for your comprehensive response, Neil.

My initial thought had been triggered by the well known 'boom and bust' cycle between the Holly Blue and the wasp Listrodomus nycthemerus I hadn't thought about fungi but I guess that must be significant, especially in the pupal stage.

Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cissbury Coppers

I couldn't resist a couple of hours on Cissbury Ring this afternoon (12th September) as we continue to enjoy a succession of warm, sunny September days. Small Copper numbers have built since my last visit, with freshly emerged specimens now mingling with the well-worn. I saw about 25 on the middle slopes of the SW corner, along with a similar number of Small Heath and a few Common Blue and Meadow Brown, the latter including two mating pairs - they're still emerging!
UKB SC Cissbury, 12.9.14.jpg
UKB SC2 Cissbury, 12.9.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Last Chance Saloon For Butterfly Pin Badges

Butterfly Badgemeister Paul Fosterjohn will be at Steyning Rifle Range tomorrow (Saturday) morning, with the remaining stock of 2014 pin badges. If, like me, you intend to buy the entire set as a future family heirloom and sound financial investment, then just turn up and look for the man with a badge-laden rucksack. All profits go to various BC Branches. It's probably the last weekend of the year when it's worthwhile visiting the site to see real Brown Hairstreak; although most are becoming a bit tatty, there are still a few specimens which rank 7 on my condition assessment scale. Purple Emperor, Swallowtail and Brown Hairstreak badges available, but going quickly.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Stunning shot of the Small Copper on the Harebell Neil :D really illustrates just how small this beautiful little butterfly is.

Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mike. Small but beautifully marked! :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fruits Of Autumn

As the butterfly season wanes it is becoming increasingly difficult to find anything really fresh to admire and photograph. I've made several unsuccessful trips to find second brood White Admiral lately, but it's always a joy to be out in the woods as the leaves begin to turn. On Wednesday (17th September) I only managed to locate faded Speckled Woods and a few, very smart looking Red Admirals in Eartham Woods. However, I did find this very seasonal looking clump of Sulphur Tuft fungi on a decaying stump next to Stane Street, the Roman Road.
UKB Sulphur Tuft Fungi on decaying wood at Stane Street, Eartham Woods, 17.9.14.jpg
Today (21st September), I again drew a blank in my hunt for White Admiral at Houghton Forest, but I knew I was onto a winner by stopping off at Cissbury Ring on the way home. Although most have seen better days, some Small Coppers are still emerging. After sifting through about 20 specimens I finally found a male in mint condition. Coppers are proving to be good value this autumn.
UKB Small Copper, Cissbury 21.9.14.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

There has definitely been a resurgence in Coppers recently - I found five this afternoon without really looking at the Devenish :D . Lush shot BTW :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Copper Shot Neil Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel and Goldie. The Small Copper has certainly extended the season for me this year, particularly as many species have ended early.
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”