Badgerbob

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Badgerbob

Post by Pauline »

Stunning open winged shots Bob and lovely composition with PL.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Another early morning start today hoping for a nice Adonis Blue. Although they started to emerge here last Saturday numbers are still very low and I only saw the one. Chalkhill Blues continue however, and despite starting on the 28th June there are still a few fresh ones about. The Wall Brown are now looking tired and this one has I'm sure had a few battles over his lifetime!!
Chalkhill Blue.
Chalkhill Blue.
Half a Wall Brown male!!
Half a Wall Brown male!!
Yesterday, I had confirmation from Colin Pratt, the County Recorder, that the Marbled White female I had mating on 12 July was an ab. flava. When I came across it I was sure it was a bit special as the colour of the underside was very different to any M W female I had seen before.
Female Marbled White ab. flava.
Female Marbled White ab. flava.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

badgerbob wrote:the Marbled White female I had mating on 12 July was an ab. flava.
The definitions aren't exactly clear - and I wonder if ab. flavescens is a candidate. I've attached the definitions below.
Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 13.02.25.png
Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks for that info Pete. I am certainly far from an expert in this but fortunately the several images were forwarded from Colin Pratt to an expert in the ab. field and I assume he knows what he is on about. Having said that the 'orange' colour mentioned in the description of flava was obvious and mentioned in my original post on 12 July.

That aside, yesterday in odd weather, the lull before the storm perhaps, although it was still breezy, I walked the 2 miles to see how the Wall Brown ova I found last week was doing. Unfortunately it appeared to have been parasitized with what seemed to be another ova attached to it. It then fell off the dead grass root where it had been laid last week. Shortly after I came across a quite fresh female Wall Brown which looked as though it was on an egg laying mission. I saw it go into a rabbit scrape where it paused for a few seconds before moving on again. Looking again at the grass roots there was an ova neatly attached, this one had a slight green shade to it which I haven't noticed before.
Wall Brown ova
Wall Brown ova

On the way to that area I came across a male Wall Brown trying to woo a female. She was not at all interested but the male kept at it and was very persistent until she went upside down in the grass. Immediately he lost interest and flew away.
Female Wall rejecting male advances.
Female Wall rejecting male advances.

William

Post by William »

Lovely Stuff Bob - you might be interested in this beautifully marked female Wall...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/onehandclap/14205523892/

Not my photo, unfortunately!

BWs,

William

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi William. Many thanks for that link. I have never come across a Wall ab. unfortunately. Just missed one that Downland Boy saw on my patch. I went for it but didn't locate it. The photo from your link is really good. I'm sure Vince would like a copy of it if you know the photographer.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Over the last couple of weeks I seem to have been concentrating on dragonflies and a few other interesting things. Check out the blog for these non butterfly bits.
Over the last couple of days I've been trying to improve on my Small Copper shots. Although the weather has been mainly cloudy I have managed a few pleasing shots. A deformed, unfortunately, Adonis Blue also here. A shot from a couple of weeks ago.
Male Adonis Blue.
Male Adonis Blue.
Female Small Copper.
Female Small Copper.
Small Copper roosting.
Small Copper roosting.
Small Copper.
Small Copper.
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.co.uk

David M

Post by David M »

Stunning images of those last two Small Coppers, Bob.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed those last couple of images practically jump out of the screen :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

nomad

Post by nomad »

Super Small Copper images :)

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Many thanks David, Wurzel and Nomad for you encouraging comments. I am really pleased with the underwing shot but feel that the topside could have been a bit better all things considered. I'm hoping to have another go but I'm not so sure I will find one in such good condition again as this one must have been fresh out the box!! The Small Copper is a species that I've always struggled to get that shot that I am totally happy with but I am slowly getting there.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

badgerbob wrote:Over the last couple of days I've been trying to improve on my Small Copper shots.
Not sure you can Bob - lovely shots and as I have said before you have achieved some beautiful images of SC in the past.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks Pauline. I have just had another go and I think this may be a little better as well as being a female, going by the shape of the abdomen.

Female Small Copper.
Female Small Copper.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The 3rd brood Wall Brown are doing very well this year around Seaford with over 12 seen today around Seaford Head and along the Cuckmere river. There was also one in the garden yesterday.
Meanwhile I couldn't resist another trip up Seaford Head looking for more Small Coppers and once again several fresh ones were seen. A very good season for this lovely little butterfly here.
DSC_2490 (1024x766).jpg
DSC_2507 (1024x693).jpg
DSC_2509 (1024x745).jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful Copper shots Bob :D I'm chuffed as I got my first Larkhill Copper the other day - it does seem to have been a reasonable year for them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Must admit, all these ubiquitous Small Coppers on these diary pages are making me extremely envious.

I hope to see a handful myself before the year is out.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Copper shots Bob, :mrgreen: none around here I'm a fraid they've all gone now. Goldie :D

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks for you comments, much appreciated.
A walk yesterday from Woodingdean to Castle Hill NNR resulted in 13 species with the highlight being a very fresh Brown Argus. Other fresh species were Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Common Blue, Small Copper and Wall Brown. Apart from the butterflies there were several Whinchat catching insects to feed up for their migration.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I must echo the other comments Bob, beautiful Small Coppers :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You really excel with your S Copper shots Bob. That last one is lovely :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”