Introduction plus an ID request.

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
PaulJBN

Introduction plus an ID request.

Post by PaulJBN »

Hello all.

I am a total novice at this butterfly malarky, just got the 'bug' for it this last summer. Not sure why, but there you go - I'm hooked.

I don't have a proper camera as yet, just a little compat digital - so I have to get REALLY close to the sublect - like a couple of inches ! to get a half decent shot.

I have taken some quite acceptable pics this way - Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and particularly Speckled Woods, which seem to sit still for me.

I was up in the Chilterns in mid September and shot this little thing. A skipper of some sort I guess.

Very poor quality I know, but it was the only shot I was able to get.

Cheers.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Paul - and welcome!

This looks like a female Silver-spotted Skipper to me. But I'm willing to be corrected :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes welcome, and well done! Although it can be locally common, the silver-spotted skipper is a nationally rare butterfly with a very limited distribution. If you weren't looking for it, that was quite a find for your first summer's lepping! :)

Guy
PaulJBN

Post by PaulJBN »

Wow, thanks.

I would not have recognised it as such from my book, but now that you have given me the name, I can see where you are coming from.

Stroll on next summer - and a new camera !

Return to “Identification”