Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell Invasion in the Netherlands!

Discussion forum for sightings.
HarassedDad

Re: Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell Invasion in the Netherlands!

Post by HarassedDad »

Jack Harrison wrote:HarassedDad has seen
.....a photo of a Purple Emperor taken in a garden in Sheringham yesterday. To put this context, the nearest emperors are in Suffolk, we haven't had a proven record since the early 60's.
I am far from convinced that should automatically be considered suspicious.
There is plenty of ancient woodland to the south of Sheringham (it could hardly be to the north :evil: ). In my youth in the 1950s, Pearl-borderd and High Brown Fritillaries occurred in the Pretty Corner woods. With the well-known ability of the Purple Emperor to lurk undetected (Neil Hulme recently re-iterated this), surely PE could have easily remained un-discovered at a very low population level? PE is now seemingly doing much better in recent years so I would think it is possible that finally it has reached observational status in North Norfolk.
Jack
They 'd have to have remained undiscovered for a very long time. And bearing in mind that the NT holds training courses for entomologists there it would be remarkable if we'd missed them. It's not like it's not visited every day by the public. And yet the population has built up to a level where it turns up in nearby gardens and still no sign of them in the wood. That's pretty special pleading. If we were talking about private woodland with big keep out signs and their own security force I might believe it. But not in a public park. And not on the North Norfolk coast - which holds more naturalist per acre than anywhere else in the country.

Bearing in mind that they're only in Suffolk because someone put them there. Otherwise the nearest colony would be over 100 miles away. And the ability to lurk undetected is a fascinating hypothesis, but by definition it's impossible to prove. All we know is that there weren't any PE's seen somewhere and then there were. Either they were there all the time but invisible, or they just arrived. What we do know is that people try all the time to introduce them - there's probably no more common illicit introduction species. And this case we have an email from a butterfly supply company saying they might have sent purple emperor in a box shook out 30 miles away, and the sighting is in a bungalow just 300m from the sea at a time when we know there's migrants coming in.

I would say the undiscovered colony theory is running a pretty poor third in the probability stakes. :) :-)

The Holmes Dunes report was only a "possible" seen briefly and put out on the pagers. I have three other reports of that grade but they probably shouldn't be listed in the main summary - or should be noted as such at least.
knotsbirder

Post by knotsbirder »

HarassedDad wrote:The Holmes Dunes report was only a "possible" seen briefly and put out on the pagers. I have three other reports of that grade but they probably shouldn't be listed in the main summary - or should be noted as such at least.
According to someone who apparently saw it on Twitter there were 10+ observers and it was seen well enough around 14.00 to make it more than a possible. Also was only put out on news services after dark, after I alerted them to the tweet. In any case, whatever the outcome, seems worth following up?

Sam
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi all, there seems to be a lot of fuss about releasing a few butterflies, unless released in some numbers they are very unlikely to breed and stay with us. However, I agree those records may confuse a few county recorders . Perhaps someone released that Plebejus argus that I found on Lardon chase. Which, brings me to why do not we have mass release - a reintroduction programme of N. polychloros our extinct native Large Tortoiseshell. This species is common in parts of Europe, so surely it can breed here again.

Regards Peter.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

HarrassedDad:
They 'd [Purple Emperors] have to have remained undiscovered for a very long time.
They did precisely that [remained undetected] in the Stevenage/Broxbourne area of Hertfordshire. Then Liz Goodyear and Andrew Middleton searched systematically and found that PEs are in fact quite widespread in that area.

And in Bedford Purlieus Cambridgeshire, PE was only seen for the first time a few years ago. Same for Chicksands Wood Bedfordshire.

I agree that PE near Sheringham is most likely to be a vagrant (or release) but I certainly wouldn't want to see the possibility of low-density previously undetected colonies discounted.

Jack
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

This may be a little off-topic but this weird UK butterfly release wedding habit is highly idiotic indeed. I can somehow accept its wasted and lost life as they are bred to end up so (and I myself have to kill here or there too from time to time, if genitalization is needed), but impact on serious monitoring and evaluating population and distribution trends must be sometimes disastrous.

We may also face a certain negative aspects here, like home-bred releases out of the distribution range, or various wild, illegal introductions (somethimes even with animals ilegally imported from SK, HU...) but I'm happy this wedding crap is not happening at all. Apart from the monitoring and conservation point of view, it seems pretty shallow, snobbish and greedy to me, and if my woman asked me to have it so, we would be probably divorced in a minute :wink:

Have fun with the Yellow-Leggies!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

As ever, it's supply and demand ... I've been asked several times for recommendations on who to contact for butterfly releases at weddings. I suspect that ignorance is a large factor here - especially when you look at the prices! £12 for a Painted Lady anyone?

http://www.butterflywedding.co.uk/www.b ... fo.php?p=4

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...butterfly releases at weddings...
This has given me ideas. For my own funeral, I could have something plausible released, eg Arran Brown. I could have a good laugh from the grave :D

Anyone know where I can source Arran Browns? Statistically my life expectancy (currently aged 75.7) is another 10.4 years. So help appreciated with Arran Brown stock :twisted: But hopefully, not urgently :P

Jack
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Its not only at Weddings, When i worked at a butterfly house, we were contacted by the House of Commons, who wanted to release butterflies at an official launch event held by MPs, We put them intouch with BC, and said they could use species like Brimstone.
peterc

Post by peterc »

Jack Harrison wrote:HarrassedDad:
They 'd [Purple Emperors] have to have remained undiscovered for a very long time.
They did precisely that [remained undetected] in the Stevenage/Broxbourne area of Hertfordshire. Then Liz Goodyear and Andrew Middleton searched systematically and found that PEs are in fact quite widespread in that area.

And in Bedford Purlieus Cambridgeshire, PE was only seen for the first time a few years ago. Same for Chicksands Wood Bedfordshire.

I agree that PE near Sheringham is most likely to be a vagrant (or release) but I certainly wouldn't want to see the possibility of low-density previously undetected colonies discounted.

Jack
Just to add to Jack's point about PEs in Hertfordshire. Quoting from Brian Sawford's book 'The Butterflies of Hertfordshire' published in 1987 the last record from Knebworth Woods was as a pupa in 1950 and none were reported there with absolute certainty until 2011! I stand to be corrected on this. I don't believe it means that the PE was not breeding there - just undetected or unreported. A friend of mine saw a PE in his back garden in 2005 or 2006 but he didn't report it - to him it was just another butterfly :)

Peter
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Goodness me....I'm offline for a few days and the country gets invaded!

I was at Camber Sands, East Sussex yesterday (yes, in the rain) and saw a Large Tort sp frantically flying around a beach cafe around 16.30. My first thought was that it had just made landfall due to its behaviour. It was Large Tort size, and quite orange in appearance. Could it have been a ST?

Best wishes,

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
knotsbirder

Post by knotsbirder »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Goodness me....I'm offline for a few days and the country gets invaded!

I was at Camber Sands, East Sussex yesterday (yes, in the rain) and saw a Large Tort sp frantically flying around a beach cafe around 16.30. My first thought was that it had just made landfall due to it's behaviour. It was Large Tort size, and quite orange in appearance. Could it have been a ST?

Best wishes,

Lee
Quite possibly, get out there and refind it!

Sam
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

....the last record from Knebworth Woods was as a pupa in 1950 and none were reported there with absolute certainty until 2011! I stand to be corrected on this.
It was certainly rediscovered prior to 2011. I'll get back after I have researched which year I first saw one in Broxbourne. My guess more like circa 2002 but will need to check with Mike Rubin (he was with me at the time) who keeps better records than me.

Jack
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi all again

Does anyone believe in a reintroduction programme for our extinct native Large Tortoiseshell.

Regards Peter.
David M

Post by David M »

nomad wrote:Hi all again

Does anyone believe in a reintroduction programme for our extinct native Large Tortoiseshell.

Regards Peter.
It may not actually be extinct. There have been sightings on the Isle of Wight during spring for a few years now.

Back onto the Yellow-Legged Tortoiseshell saga. I notice that easterly winds are set to assert themselves again from midweek.

Could this lead to a further influx?
chrisvanswaay

Post by chrisvanswaay »

Here in NL the invasion seems to have stopped. Yesterday (Sunday 20 July) the species was only reported from one site, today none (but it was a very rainy day).
Tomorrow the wind will turn NE again and we hope for a new influx. However it is unclear what happened to 'our' butterflies. Reports from Sweden suggest they quickly go into hibernation (as N polychloros also do, in summer they are rarely ever active for more than a week or so). So far no hibernating butterfly has been found. Alternatively they might migrate further west, and that's when they could show up in the UK. Lets keep posted and try to follow this spectacular invasion the best we can.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Do people think what we are seeing is the start of a major invasion that will see many more if we have a good August or is it likely to always be a trickle? Are we talking loads in Holland or just reasonable numbers?

Thanks .
chrisvanswaay

Post by chrisvanswaay »

Regarding experience from previous years in Scandinavia (with quick hibernation after emerging) and the fact that they already started to hibernate in Sweden, I would not be surprised if we have seen most of them. The next few days will make it clear, as the wind this morning turned NE again and it is bright and sunny (and warm, today 27C expected).
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Jack Harrison wrote:
...butterfly releases at weddings...
This has given me ideas. For my own funeral, I could have something plausible released, eg Arran Brown. I could have a good laugh from the grave :D

Anyone know where I can source Arran Browns? Statistically my life expectancy (currently aged 75.7) is another 10.4 years. So help appreciated with Arran Brown stock :twisted: But hopefully, not urgently :P

Jack
75.7 yo actually makes you older than my grandfather, Jack :D Are you as strong and young-looking as he is? :D

Anyway, you may consider Acherontia atropos instead of Erebia ligea 8) Or choose to live another, lets say, three decades :) If you are butterflying in your age your health and condition must be above average, right? :wink:

But, to stick to the topic, Michal, a friend of mine, took this photo of Yellow Leggie recently

And the legs

Marek
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The off topic comments I made earlier about "lurking" Purple Emperors. Mike tells me we saw them in Broxbourne on 11th July 2005. They had certainly been reported there (not by me) over the previous two years.

Mike tells me he hasn't been back since due to Broxbourne Wood's notoriety for certain activities totally unconnected with Purple Emperors :P

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,

Assuming that xanthomelas behaves in a similar manner to polychloros, then I believe Chris is correct. The events may fizzle out quickly now. However, those keen to see a Scarce Tortoiseshell in the UK should take comfort from the fact that it will probably be easier to do so next spring, when the males wake up and set up territories, becoming more 'visible' and more likely to stick around in one place. There is some research (Von Roer, 1970; Veling, 1997) which, if extrapolated (always dangerous!), suggests that only approximately 1% - 2% of Scarce Tortoiseshell immigrants will have been seen/recognised/reported. Of course any of the 98% - 99% which haven't been seen this July might get spotted in March and April. Plenty of reason for optimism if you want to see one of these (I do!), but a little patience might be required.

BWs, Neil

Return to “Sightings”