Badgerbob

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Badgerbob

Post by Pauline »

That first Chalkhill shot is lovely Bob and the style of the photograph is one I would now like to be able to create as it is so much more creative, picturesque and artistic than my usual plain background. Interested to hear about the 2nd brood Walls too as I haven't seen one yet this year so perhaps I should venture into E Sussex for a change.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks Pauline, this is my favourite shot I've got this year of the Chalkhill. I missed you by not much last Monday at Botany. PM me if you head this way and we will try to meet up.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Somehow Bob I missed out your previous post but catching up now :D Love the Chalk Hill shots Bob still to see them emerging here :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Yes Bob, agree with the others those chalky shots certainly portrait them perfectly :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I also think lovely Chalkhill shots, with a very serene feel to them.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks to you all for the comments. It has quickly become one of my all time favourite shots, and like so often happens it was a quick grab shot as he only allowed 2 photos before he was off. It does give I think, a real feeling of that time of the butterfly in its natural environment. It was also my first trip out with a new camera!! This shot is the 1st I got before a slightly closer approach.
DSC_0015 (1024x700).jpg

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

I see lots of good shots in the diaries but this one is exceptional. It is worthy of an entry in next year's Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/wpy/index.html. The last butterfly photo I recall in the exhibition was an Apollo a couple of years ago which had a similar ambience.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Agreed. Superb shot. Personally I would shift the crop slightly, to avoid having the insect bang slap central. Rules are meant to be broken of course, but I think the shape of the subject and position of the grass stems provide sufficient symmetry. All matter of opinion, but an epic which ever way you look at it.
BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Picture perfect Bob :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Once again a big thanks to you all for the comments regarding the Chalkhill Blue shot.
After 2 days of almost non stop rain it was good to get back up the hill once the heavy cloud had dispersed today. Lots of Marbled White and Chalkhill again. I noticed a pair of mating Marbled White and went to get a closer look and it immediately became apparent that the female was not normal. The brown tint that the females show was in this instance a deep orange-brown colour. It was hard to get a decent underside shot showing both forewing and hindwing and the one attached is a poor shot but it hopefully gives the idea how different it was. However, after a couple of minutes they climbed up a decent stem and then stayed put for the rest of the time they were still coupled which allowed several shots of them. Just before splitting up the female part opened her wings to show the brown on the leading edge. Once again this seemed a deeper brown than usual.
DSC_0137 (1024x701).jpg
DSC_0153 (1024x688).jpg
DSC_0177 (1024x752).jpg
DSC_0181 (1024x709).jpg
DSC_0183 (1024x666).jpg

Several pairs of Chalkhill Blue were also mating, mostly deep in the grass but one pair once again were sitting high up.
DSC_0194 (1024x721).jpg

I also managed a poor record shot of a Small Skipper ovipositing. It would have been fine except for the blade of grass going straight across the butterfly!!
DSC_0204 (1024x659).jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

More beautiful photos - what is your new camera?

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Katrina and thanks for your comments. I changed the Nikon D300s to a D610.

Yesterday evening I decided to go back and see if I could refind the female Marbled White as she was particularly attractive. After some time and the weather going downhill quickly I was about to give up as she flew across. I followed her to her roosting site where I managed another picture. Due to the conditions it doesn't show her off to her full potential. As she was flying her orange/brown markings certainly stood out.
Roosting Marbled Whites.
Roosting Marbled Whites.
Female Marbled White.
Female Marbled White.
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With so many Elms going around these parts due to the dreaded Dutch Elm Disease it has become harder to find areas where the gorgeous White-letter Hairstreaks can be seen. I spent a bit of time showing Butterflysaurus Rex a couple of weeks ago my best sites for seeing this butterfly at ground level. Although I haven't spent anything like as much time on this butterfly as usual I had only seen one high up until B Rex found some of his own. Thanks to him I managed a couple of shots yesterday of my favourite butterfly. A female nectaring on Creeping Thistles. The first one I saw had a nick out of a wing and whilst I was crouched down taking a photo of this one another flew up from a thistle head right by my ear!! I just hadn't seen her. This one was in better condition and it settled on another thistle head where I got a few shots including this one.
female White-letter Hairstreak.
female White-letter Hairstreak.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Bob,beautiful. :D :mrgreen: And the colouration of the female Marbled White is astounding, it's like it's a different species from the male. :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks Wurzel, the colouration of her made her special!!
A few pictures from the last few days that may be of interest including another egg laying Small Skipper. I was amazed at the camouflage of the Red Admiral when roosting on a lichen covered twig. I daresay I wouldn't have spotted it if I hadn't seen it land there when I was on an evening walk.
Small Skipper ovipositing.
Small Skipper ovipositing.
Red Admiral on lichen.
Red Admiral on lichen.
Female Gatekeeper.
Female Gatekeeper.
Yesterday I called up to the local Downland site for Grayling. Good numbers flying and a bit of mating also going on!!
Mating Grayling.
Mating Grayling.
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You're taking some great photos Bob - the RA shot is really clever but I love the composition of the pair of Grayling. I am just waiting for you to post some Walls to tempt me down there :lol:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bob,

Some really nice photos in your recent reports, great stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Cheers Pauline and Neil, many thanks for your comments. As far as the Wall Brown goes Pauline, there are quite a few flying now although it looks like there is going to be less than the last few years. If this is the case its the first drop in numbers following 8 years of steady growth. As far as photographing them goes I rarely try to photograph Wall Brown now as I have too many pictures of them and they are SO frustrating and life is too short!!
Talking about life being too short I was on the Downs this morning admiring the Chalkhill Blues again when I stumbled across a small area with 3 mating pairs in it. One of the pairs seemed a bit odd as the female had her wings spread wide open and she didn't seem quite right. Looking harder she was having her life taken away from her by a spider that was firmly attached to her. Meanwhile the male was totally unaware of what her predicament was and was carrying on regardless!!
A fatal threesome!!
A fatal threesome!!
Another mating pair only a couple of feet away will hopefully have better luck at producing next years butterflies.
DSC_0614 (793x1024).jpg
Yesterday I called up to see how the Meadow Brown pupa was doing and it seems it did okay as it had emerged and left an empty shell.
Empty Meadow Brown pupa.
Empty Meadow Brown pupa.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Just for you Pauline. Not the best picture or the best specimen but at least it is a Wall Brown!!
Attachments
DSC_0643 (1024x676).jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some great reports recently Bob :D It's just a pity that the spider didn't feed on the male as at least he would have completed his Biological Imperative :? The camouflaged Red Admiral is a cracker too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”