False Apollo

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: False Apollo

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Mike and a 'badged' one too :D :mrgreen: Bentley was hard work so I think I might have to try Fermyn next year too...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thanks Wurzel,
Yes it is another world up here. I wish I could have got time off work earlier but it wasn't possible. I would recommend a visit. The only thing to take into account is that Silverstone takes place this weekend and I was lucky to get anywhere to stay. I have struggled to see any early Emperors down nearer home too, but they seem to be out in better numbers now so things may be looking up.

Regards
Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Excellent report from Fermyn, Mike. It's great that your first visit was such a success! In my "neck of the woods", the Purple Emperor is often not seen by visitors to Bookham Common, Surrey and many leave a bit disappointed. I don't think there are "loads of them" at Bookham this year but I am told they can be quite widespread. My walk around the common in the mornings looking for them grounded is usually unfruitful. I know a couple of good places to look in the tree canopies to find them in the afternoon and passers by can be shown them usually within 5 minutes or so if timing and conditions are right. I also find this a bit frustrating as their response is often "yes, I think there are loads of them around but just not usually seen very often !". Then they continue on their walk around the woods and usually don't see another Purple Emperor in any other place on the common! Your report is encouraging for me.
Best Wishes,
Philip

Kind Regards,
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Nice Fermyn report Mike!

Lovely picture posts of Purple Emperor really putting on a personal show for you, simply magic butterflies :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thank you for your comments everyone. Yes this is a truly magic butterfly, like no other in the UK in my opinion. I would love to see numbers on this scale in my own area. Every time I see one it is just like the first time. I remember it well because I was exploring a Hampshire wood and saw none at all and gave up and went back to the car. On arrival at the car a male was on the tyre, I was hooked from then on.
I will here visit again next year and try to get here earlier.

Regards
Mike

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

As I arrived and parked at the small entrance to Fermyn (note I have got spelling right this time as I have slightly recovered from yesterday) I was greeted by HIM as I got out the car, he circled but did not land. Today was much sunnier and warmer this morning than yesterday and behaviour was a bit different. Again I found 11 down including a female effortlessly cruising start/stop along a track around 12.30 when at least one other was seen elsewhere, reminding me of the butterfly equivalent of a Boeing 747 but on a smaller scale. The males were not that interested in opening their wings wide for photography and were distinctly restless, although one or 2 would not budge. As per yesterday, I was circled by a few males, who then dropped on the track. Certainly a lot of the Emperors I have seen down have been 'old stagers' and have a few battle scars, but there were still one or 2 that looked newly emerged. One which I videod had a fixation with a patch of pink clover flowers and kept returning and climbing up the nearby grass stems, I think this was newly emerged.

Around 13.00 it started to rain and I headed back, one more day to go, I hope the weather holds.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
A Flash of Purple.
A Flash of Purple.
Trousered!
Trousered!

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

The Great Wood.
The Great Wood.
My day did not start well as the fire alarm went off at the hotel I was staying at around 4.30. Needless to say it was a false alarm. However I arrived at Fermyn at 9.30 and saw my first airborne Iris soon afterwards. It was not long afterwards that a rather worn male landed on a gentleman's bottom and made it's way on to his boot. He was very popular with the surrounding photographers.

I personally only had 5 males down in total, but 2 of these were very fresh. One was down, circling me, perching up nearby then back down again. It was here or hereabouts for over an hour, so other visitors got a chance to see it. This gave me the opportunity to capture the purple on both wings. Earlier it had been difficult to get an open winged shot due to the hot weather, but as some cloud came over, the opportunity presented itself. In total I saw around 15+ but I know other people saw more. Nevertheless there were fewer around today than yesterday and the day before.

Unfortunately on a sad note a large grass cutting machine was undertaking management work in the wood today ( which was probably essential) however it flattened an unsuspecting male, totally oblivious of it coming along the track.

I left around 14.00 and saw another 2 as I was heading for my car.

I will certainly return to this magic wood next year now I have seen the promised land.
Attachments
It was a truly worthwhile visit.
It was a truly worthwhile visit.
The money shot I had been hoping for.
The money shot I had been hoping for.
Being snapped by an admirer.
Being snapped by an admirer.
On show higher up.
On show higher up.
A nice fresh underside.
A nice fresh underside.
On the boot!
On the boot!

False Apollo

Variant Valesina

Post by False Apollo »

Having been to Sweden, seen the first night of Monty Python at the O2 and a 3 day visit to Fermyn, I thought I would take it easy today. I decided to stay local and visit a Dorset wood to seen what was about. On arrival I found an unusual Valesina Silver-washed Fritillary with an interested male SWT. It was always in a difficult position to photograph, and I forgot to take my Lumix. I only had one chance, so unfortunately this was the best I could get before it flew off. It, as was to be expected flew up high in a shady area and did not return. Note the white line toward the outer forewings and apex area. I later saw another Valesina which was as I would expect one to be. I also saw a fresh standard female SWT as well. Numbers seem to be rising. Good numbers of commoner species including Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshell and Ringlets.
I will post about my Swedish trip soon.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
Variant Valesina
Variant Valesina

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

After all the excitement of the last few days, I thought things were going to quieten down, but how wrong I was. I visited a private wood not too far from where I live to search for Purple Emperors today. I managed to see a female in flight and a circling active male, but none were down. I decided to go back to my car and have a rest around 13.00. Should I go home or have another walk in the heat, you guessed it, I decided to go back. Around 13.30 I saw a large butterfly down on the track. On further investigation I could see it was a female Purple Emperor. She was a little restless at first gliding low over the track but soon settled and I mean settled. She was down for 45 minutes in total, imbibing for 30 minutes. Wings were closed, then flat out wide open. I have not seen a female Purple Emperor this confiding for many years (if at all). From my experience they are only down briefly (unless you are fortunate and lucky) or see them egg laying. I'm off to celebrate!

Regards
Mike
Attachments
Empress giving me an audience.
Empress giving me an audience.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

False Apollo wrote:After all the excitement of the last few days, I thought things were going to quieten down
No peace for the wicked Mike...but we don't mind having our peace disturbed with butterflying adventures do we...wicked :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

When you had your rest were you in "the comfy chair"? :wink: Brilliant Empress shot which falls into my category of "I wish I'd taken that" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Thanks Willrow and Wurzel.
I took this week off work to search for Purple Emperors and it's been absolutely great! Thanks for your comments. Wurzel,' Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, so yes I did use the comfy chair'. I will be out tomorrow though.

Regards
Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Nice shot Mike. Quite a few females seem to have hit the deck today, from Fermyn Woods to Houghton Forest (W. Sussex). Sadly none for me, apart from the one I didn't see and nearly trod on in Eartham Woods. :oops:
BWs, Neil

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Neil,
Very interesting to hear about the other females coming down, I wonder if the warm weather is a contributing factor. To see one down and stay down is something I have long hoped for, but it has been quite a wait. This female eventually settled and imbibed in an area of the track which was pretty moist. I was so transfixed on the situation I forgot to try some badging. I didn't want to disturb her, she flew off when she had finished which was nice to see.

Regards
Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mike,
Have you seen the new iris underside badge yet? (http://apaturairis.blogspot.co.uk/searc ... -results=7). I think it will be important to coordinate open and closed wing individuals with the appropriate badge next season. Standards just keep getting higher. :D
BWs, Neil

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Neil,
Yes I have seen the new badge and I ordered it immediately. Both badges are almost essential for Iris fans. I have complemented Paul on his designs and although we are having fun badging Purple Emperors when we can, they have a more serious side as well. The money raised goes to a good cause and they are a talking point. I visited a shop after I went out yesterday and got talking to the shop owner who was extremely interested after I explained about my keen interest in the Purple Emperor. I feel a conservation message can be communicated if worn prominently. The first thing she said was 'I like your badge, what butterfly is it' ? Then I was away, telling her about our star butterfly. It was great to speak to someone who was genuinely interested.

Regards
Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Just catching up on your diary, great reports and photos from Fermyn :D

Cheers,

Neil

False Apollo

First Brown Hairstreak Sighting

Post by False Apollo »

I visited Alners Gorse in Dorset today and was informed by 2 observers that the first BROWN HAIRSTREAK was seen today. Unfortunately I did not see it, but apparently it was seen well. This site is notorious for early Brown Hairstreak sightings as per last year.

Regards
Mike

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Absolutely superb aberration rogeri Painted Lady discovered on the Purbeck coast by Peter Moore today. I have seen the photos and they are breathtaking. Seems like a small influx of Painted Ladies has occurred along the Dorset coast today. In due course the photos should appear on his blog http://www.petermooreblog.blogspot.com/.

Regards
Mike

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Mike
That is just the most stunning aberration I have seen other than iole absolute cracker!
Kind Regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Personal Diaries”