Badgerbob

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Badgerbob

Post by Wurzel »

Its great when the Smessex Skippers arrive on the scene :D Thanks for your excellent shots of the Marbled White cat I think I managed to find my own at Larkhill back along :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

'Summer'
DSC_2944 (701x1024).jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It was a very early start yesterday hoping to get the Marbled Whites before they woke up too much. Even at 6.15am they were moving along with a Red Admiral. I did however get a few shots I was quite pleased with. It was also great being out at that time of the day with just the butterflies for company!!
DSC_2968 (1024x642).jpg
DSC_2969 (1024x680).jpg
DSC_2932 (1024x641).jpg
DSC_2962 (1024x617).jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Marbled Whites are such a joy to behold, Bob. I know they're essentially 'one month wonders' but the early, fresh specimens take some beating.

Lovely underside shot in particular.

William

Post by William »

I've long tried to get something similar to that last one bob - superb :D

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks David and William. I was particularly pleased with the underside shot. Different tactics yesterday as I went up to get them roosting in the evening. Unfortunately I could have done with another 30 minutes or so but I had to get home to feed the wife!! The Marbled Whites were so wary flying off when approached, I missed one opportunity stupidly but managed just one single shot. Will have to try again a little later when hopefully they would have slowed down, or another very early start.
DSC_3055 (1024x645).jpg
Today I was doing a butterfly survey for BC in private woodland. I was amazed at the numbers of Ringlet. They were all over the place. Early on I spotted an ab. Ringlet. No rings on the underwing, just a few dots so possibly ab. arete. I tried to get some pictures but with the sun coming out it just didn't settle again and then fighting with lots of other Ringlet it was impossible to keep with it. Very frustrating. Many very active Silver-washed Fritillaries as well with 3 females appearing to be ovapositing. Also a mating pair high in the trees being harassed by another male.
DSC_3059 (1024x675).jpg
DSC_3063 (1024x665).jpg

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

You can never find enough time to do our wing friends justice can you Bob...and having to get home to feed wives is a real intrusion :lol: :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

badgerbob wrote:Unfortunately I could have done with another 30 minutes or so but I had to get home to feed the wife!
C'est la vie, Bob. :)

I think I'm going to have to try this early evening stuff myself. It opens up a whole new dimension into butterfly behaviour.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The balance between butterflies and arriving home to the "that look on" it's a fine line Bob and getting home today to butterfly another day is a preferable outcome Bob :wink: :D Fantastic Marbled White shots. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely Ringlets Bob - I am sure many others including myself can understand your frustration about the ab. (a similar thing happened to Pete recently), tho' I don't suppose that makes you feel any better about it :(

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks to you all with regards the photos and the wifey bits. Today I got up extra early again to try again for the MWs. A cooler morning so they were not so active, although the poor light and sea breeze didn't help. Perhaps another attempt is needed. Getting back in time to get 'er indoors a cuppa is a good plan!!
DSC_3089 (1024x593).jpg
DSC_3107 (1024x685).jpg

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Yesterday I had a few spare hours so I headed over to Southwater to hopefully see the Purple Emperor, a butterfly that I was unable to get to last year. On arrival 2 were battling in one of the usual places. A few minutes later another pair were also at it. There didn't seem to be as many Silver-washed Fritillaries as I expected but White Admirals seemed to be reasonably numerous. I came across a superb pair of mating Meadow Brown, which unusually were happy to 'perform' out in the open!! Even when they moved they were still 'out there'. I also managed a picture of a Fritillary from a worms eye view. Maybe I need to grow a bit!!
DSC_3185 (1024x680).jpg
DSC_3182 (1024x598).jpg
A Bobs eye view!!
A Bobs eye view!!

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Gatekeepers and Chalkhill Blues put in their first appearances locally yesterday and what a fantastic sight they are!! Just one day in the numbers of both had built up quite a bit further today. Two mornings now spent enjoying their beauty.
male Gatekeeper.
male Gatekeeper.
male Chalkhill Blue
male Chalkhill Blue
DSC_3279 (1024x680).jpg
DSC_3303_01 (1024x664).jpg
I then looked very briefly in the area where I had the Wall Brown pupa earlier in the year just in case I could find a 2nd brood pupa. I very soon gave up on that one but a few minutes later a light green pupa caught my eye from about 10 feet away and I was amazed to find it was a Meadow Brown pupa!!
Meadow Brown pupa.
Meadow Brown pupa.
Just as I was about to leave today I came across my first Essex Skipper of the year.
Essex Skipper.
Essex Skipper.

more at http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great shots there Bob, nice to see the Chalkhill Blues, everything is moving along at a fast pace now. Great front CU of the Essex, leaving no doubt :D :wink:

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Mike, great shots there :D The Chalkhills are lush but my favourite has to to be the Hedge Brown :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks Mike and Wurzel. The first of the year of any species is special, but both Chalkhills and Hedge Browns are something else. Just going outside as I think I just heard a Hedge Sparrow calling!!

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A few shots from the last couple of days from Friston Forest and the Cuckmere area.
Dark Green Fritillary.
Dark Green Fritillary.
Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
Chalkhill Blue
Chalkhill Blue

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More brill shots Bob - the Dark Green is a right cracker :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks again Wurzel. I've been quite busy on the dragonfly front but today after all the rain I did just venture up to the Downs for a quick look around. There were masses of Gatekeeper as well as more Chalkhills. Females of both species also showed in reasonable numbers. I also wanted to check on the Meadow Brown pupa which I found last Sunday. After quite a bit of searching I refound it and see It has lost some of its brightness, but otherwise has not really changed. I think I found it only a short time after it was formed so I guess it is only just over a week old.
Gatekeeper complete with passengers!
Gatekeeper complete with passengers!
male Gatekeeper.
male Gatekeeper.
male Gatekeeper.
male Gatekeeper.
Meadow Brown pupa.
Meadow Brown pupa.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I've been having great fun this summer getting up a bit earlier and going on the top of the Downs for butterflies. It was quite a bit cloudier this morning, but was still pretty warm and there were plenty of Chalkhill Blues about. One was sitting in some long grass holding on to 2 blades of grass which gave quite a different image. Another male was blowing about like mad in the breeze and eventually I got a female underside. A female Marbled White was found that had just emerged. Just as I was leaving I came across my first 2nd brood Wall Brown. 3 were seen including a mating pair.
DSC_0014 (839x1024).jpg
DSC_0017 (1024x694).jpg
DSC_0024 (833x1024).jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”