Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Bay Watch

Today (29th June) I managed to squeeze in a last trip to Botany Bay, before heading to Mecca (Fermyn Woods). It was an unprofessionally late start for me, so it came as no surprise to see a huddle of photographers as I climbed the slope above the concrete bridge. A slightly worn male Emperor was deeply engrossed in a particularly large, dark scat. I have my own classification system for these; this one fell into the category 'Gorilla's Finger'. A better example (of iris) had been seen earlier in the morning by Dave Miller and others.

After laying some particularly pungent baits (the smell seems to get worse each season) there was little in the way of further action at ground level until well into the afternoon. However, up to 3 males at a time were working their way around the canopy above The Triangle around midday and sporadically throughout the afternoon.

At 4 pm things started to happen and I was paid my first visit of the season, with a male landing on my boots and moleskins. Before 5.45 pm, when it clouded up, I had a further 3 grounded males. A couple of these were unblemished, and probably emerged this morning. For those restricted to weekend visits, you need to be out there next weekend.
UKB PE3 Botany Bay 29.6.14.jpg
UKB PE2 Botany Bay 29.6.14.jpg
UKB PE1 Botany Bay 29.6.14.jpg
UKB Botany Bay 29.6.14.jpg
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel. These Crab Spiders are very efficient at taking butterflies. I remember Michael Blencowe telling me how many SPBFs he saw in their jaws when he visited Bentley Wood - you don't wanna know! :shock:
BWs Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great photos Neil, the 2 with the full purple are very pleasing!

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

I am Loving your Purple Emperor reports, Neil.
I think I might try not changing my socks for 3 days to see if I can get one landing on my feet! :D
Best wishes,
Philip

Kind Regards,
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Philip. It's most important not to wash your 'outdoors' trousers between June 1st and third week July. They certainly won't be allowed indoors. :D
BWs, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

100 years ago, butterfly collectors would use nets on absurdly long poles to catch PEs. Today:
It's most important not to wash your 'outdoors' trousers between June 1st and third week July.
Would you venture a guess as to what kit PE enthusiasts will be using in 2114?

Perhaps the equivalent a laser pen (which domestic cats follow with great enthusiasm) might "move" a PE into the ideal spot for the IRD. (IRD = image recording device, the successor to the digital camera)? The "pen" would lay down a scent trail of female PEs (or something like that).

Jack

William

Post by William »

Superb Fritillaries Neil :D , I think you're right about the Bee Orchid (var. flavescens), with pale rather than smudged markings on the lip - very jealous :D

BWs

William

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks William. Hopefully the Bee Orchids will appear next year and I'll get them before they go over.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fabulous Fermyn (Part 1)

I drove up to Fermyn late on Monday evening (30th June), having been invited by Matthew Oates to stay at a cottage he had rented on the outskirts of the woods. I had two full days ahead of me and the weather forecast was good. All of the reports we had heard suggested that 'Big Bang' day was imminent. As always when visiting this site, I was full of expectation. Given suitable weather Fermyn seldom disappoints.

I was out early the next day and started by cycling several miles through the complex, leaving a smelly trail of shrimp soup on the rides. These baits were to be visited by a great many Purple Emperor over the next 48 hours and things became very exciting very quickly. At 9.15 am iris started to descend in numbers, swooping low over the rides and quartering back and forth before dropping down to feast. I made a quick assessment of which were the best specimens. The last bait out of the bucket was quite thick with shrimp pieces, so I soon decided to dilute it in the most natural way possible. I was convinced that the butterfly which was approaching from down-wind was a standard model with a slightly chipped wingtip. As I was fully engaged in the exercise an Emperor suddenly appeared between my legs - a full ab.lugenda which looked to be in mint condition! Unsurprisingly it didn't stay long, and quickly retired to sulk at the top of an oak. It never returned and I remained in a state of disappointed shock for well over an hour.

Once I'd come to terms with nearly micturating on Britain's finest aberrant butterfly, I started to enjoy the almost constant Purple Rain. I saw fewer than Matthew on Day 1, refusing to leave the location for the entire morning, in the vain hope that this spectacular beast might give me another chance. Matthew's final tally exceeded 60 Emperors, but better was yet to come. Throughout the course of the two days my moleskin trousers were visited by 11 different specimens, and my boots by 5. 3 landed on my rucksack and presented me with opportunities to enter the Paul Fosterjohn Purple Emperor pin badge challenge. I'll freely admit that my efforts are vastly inferior to Susie Milbank's, although I know that another female photographer managed to get some images which might well be contenders.

Unfortunately the cloud started to build during the afternoon, bringing the action to a premature end. I already had some nice shots in the bag but most had at least a few grazes or fine scratches. I went to bed hoping that the following day would produce some perfect examples, and the return of lugenda.
UKB PE1 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE2 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE3 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE4 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE5 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE6 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE7 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE8 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg
UKB PE9 Fermyn 1.7.14.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

What an effort, Neil. I really must visit Fermyn next year as my tally of grounded Emperors thus far in my life still resides comfortably in single figures.

I look forward to your next instalment.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Stunning shots Neil and hope your next instalment features images of ab.lugenda :D

Mike

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I'm on my way this weekend. I have never visited Fermyn before so I am looking forward to seeing the Emperor extravaganza. Any tips on specific places to visit within the wood for best chances of seeing grounded individuals or are they likely to come down anywhere? Anyway cannot wait.

Regards
Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks David and Mike. Plenty more to come!

Mike (False Apollo) - details in second post here viewtopic.php?t=7722&start=10000

BWs, Neil

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Many Thanks Neil, much appreciated.

Regards
Mike

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Fine report and pics Neil...for a change :lol:

On Wednesday, Matthew Oates cycled slowly past myself, Phil Bromley and Rosalyn with a plastic bag attached to the handlebars of his bike with the logo HM attached, he said he had 'borrowed' it from the cottage you mention :roll: and had not even noticed the significance of it - in prime Purple Emperor territory when I pointed it out :shock: :?

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Susie

Post by Susie »

Neil, you are completely barking. Fortunately barking in a good butterflying way :lol:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Bill. It's a shame I missed you, Rosalyn and Phil.
Yes Susie, barking mad and very happy! :D I don't think many of the UKB contingent are 'normal' .... thankfully.
BWs. Neil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

wibble

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fabulous Fermyn (Part 2)

Some things are just not meant to be and lugenda never showed himself again to me; he will probably never grace another human eye. Fortunately my second wish was granted and later on Wednesday (2nd July) it became apparent that a large emergence of fresh males had occurred. Over the years I have become firmly convinced that individuals which emerge early in the morning will not make their first descent to the forest floor until mid afternoon that day. To do so before their wings are fully dry, and they have largely mastered the basics of flight, would put them at too high a risk from predatory Jays and Song Thrushes (I have seen dismembered iris on an anvil). Between 3 pm and 4 pm the rides of Fermyn were suddenly dominated by the most perfect, unblemished specimens, all making their first sorties. I'm indebted to Phil Beard for alerting me to the presence of one such insect, shown below. I remember thinking that this must be one of the most beautiful creatures alive on the planet as I clicked away at it.

Matthew's tally for the day exceeded 90 and I saw a similar number, 35 - 40 of which were grounded. Again, it is worth pointing out that this sort of figure can only be achieved with the use of a bicycle, covering several miles of the ride system over a very full day. Several females were seen egg laying, although most of the girls were yet to emerge before I sadly had to depart.

As always it was difficult to leave Fermyn and, like others, I leave a part of me behind there each time I go, balanced out by the happy memories I take away with me. It was great to spend time with one of the local lads, Andy Wyldes (co-author of the brilliant 'Butterflies of Northamptonshire') and to catch up with some familiar faces - all smiling. The cottage I stayed in was basic, but perfect for the setting, with a posse of young Swallows perched outside my bedroom window most evenings. Most of all I appreciated the company, expertise and enthusiasm of Matthew, from whom I continue to learn so much.
UKB PE1 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE2 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE3 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE4 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE5 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE6 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE7 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE8 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE9 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE10 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB PE11 Fermyn 2.7.14.jpg
UKB Swallow, Fermyn 3.7.14.jpg
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

peterc

Post by peterc »

And fabulous photos too Neil :) . Interesting observation you make about PEs not descending low until mid afternoon after emerging earlier on the same day. I wouldn't have thought it would take them that long to dry out their wings and master the basics of flight. Maybe I'll have a better chance of seeing them low at around 3-4 pm this early in the season?

Peter

Return to “Personal Diaries”