MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: MikeOxon

Post by David M »

Informative stuff, Mike. Thanks very much for that.

It'd be nice to see Large Blues unencumbered by hordes of people who are more interested in a 'tick' than actually observing this precious species.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

MikeOxon wrote:... We need somewhere in the middle of the country where all the Southern and Northern species could get together. :D

Mike
Oh, I wish it could work like that, I am in the middle of the country :wink:

Great reports and photos Mike, I have only seen Large Blue once before, at Collard Hill last year. Like David I would love to see them in quieter circumstances.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

nfreem wrote:
Like David I would love to see them in quieter circumstances.
This could be our chance, Neil!!

I'm prepared to leave it till later in the flight period when visitor numbers will naturally diminish.

One important thing I've learned is that the majority of folks feel compelled to see certain species within days of their emergence. Once several days have passed they just drift away.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks again all for the comments, Wurzel, David, and Neil.

I hope that Collard will remain the place for all the 'tick listers', since it is a compact site with on-site guides. I thought hard before writing about Daneway but was assured that it is now regarded as 'public knowledge'. It's not an easy site, however, and the butterflies range over a large area at low density, so some skill is required! I met one person who had had no sightings on the day I was there - he rather gloomily commented that it is such a large place and where does one start? Well, it will need patience and some feeling for likely places to look.

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote: I met one person who had had no sightings on the day I was there - he rather gloomily commented that it is such a large place and where does one start? Well, it will need patience and some feeling for likely places to look.
If one is truly interested in butterflies, then careful study over a long period without any obsession towards obtaining a 'trophy' picture will come naturally.

Sometimes, just selecting an appropriate spot and sitting and waiting for half an hour will produce far, far more than a madcap ramble throughout the site.

I look forward to visiting Daneway Banks for an extended length of time and merely taking in anything it throws at me.

CJB

Post by CJB »

I look forward to visiting Daneway Banks for an extended length of time and merely taking in anything it throws at me.
Hi David,

Daneway is an amazing place and it will throw all sorts at you. I have managed to sneak out and have a couple of forays there and both times were amazing in terms of species and numbers. Not so great for my hay fever which is particularly bad when it comes to grass pollen, which is not ideal for watching our fluttery friends.

I will report back after I go there tomorrow morning and let you know what I see. I must admit I am rather excited about having LB's down the road from me and had no idea when I moved to the area 12 weeks ago; a real privilege. The fact that I have seen 14 species in my garden is a huge excitement and I know that there will be some surprises as the season goes on, but not quite as surprising as susie's Gorganus!! :shock:

I have enjoyed reading your reports and hope you get some enjoyment from mine.

Mike, thank you as ever for your helpful pointers.

Flutter on!

CJB

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely report, Mike with some beautiful images.

I hope to visit next year perhaps, for much the same reason as David and yourself.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you very much Lee. You have lots of good things in your PD too :)

Mike

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

That's really nice of you to say. :D There's a lot still to come!

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Just caught up with your excellent Daneway Banks report Mike, thoroughly enjoyed and seeing your really fine images was a lovely bonus, thanks for sharing :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Yesterday, Saturday 21st June, my son suggested that we visit the Alun Valley site, to look for High Brown Fritillaries. It's a straightforward journey for me along the M4, although there was heavy congestion around Bristol and quite long queues at the Severn Bridge toll booths. After leaving the M4 at J35, we stopped at the White Horse in Coychurch for a very good (and generously sized) ploughman's lunch in their shady garden. It's then a short distance along the A473 before turning south onto the B4265 through Ewenny, in the direction towards St Brides Major. After emerging from woodland, with Old Castle Down on the left, there is a large lay-by at SS898763, on the right-hand side of the road. There is then a path up onto the Down, skirting the woodlands along its Northern edge. At the top, this opens out into a broad track, with a continuous fringe of bracken, gorse, and brambles on the left, before the drop into the trees.
View along the path at Old Castle Down, Bridgend - 21st June 2014
View along the path at Old Castle Down, Bridgend - 21st June 2014
There is another narrow path between the bracken and the trees, which can give close encounters with butterflies but means that you are looking into the sun, when scanning the bracken. To the North, there are extensive views over Bridgend, towards the mountains of Southern Wales. The brambles were flowering profusely but, for the moment, the male fritillaries are too intent on searching for females for any lengthy feeding stops. On a hot, sunny afternoon, they were constantly on the move, so that it was impossible, for me at least, to distinguish between High Brown and Dark Green Fritillaries. In fact, I would suggest the generic term: High Speed Fritillary (HSF).
View North from Old Castle Down, Bridgend - 21st June 2014
View North from Old Castle Down, Bridgend - 21st June 2014
We decided to make a 'base camp' and enjoy watching the fritillaries zooming around, sometimes in groups of three or more, until the temperature began to fall later in the afternoon. Many of the bracken fronds carried a defending Large Skipper, which sallied forth after every passing butterfly, including the large fritillaries!
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Occasionally, a fritillary would pause momentarily and we would scan it with binoculars, to try to decide whether HBF or DGF. This is by no means easy and one of my photos of a Dark Green Fritillary (taken at long range) illustrates some of the problems:
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 max zoom - 1/500s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 max zoom - 1/500s@f/4 ISO125
Visually, this Dark Green Fritillary could easily be taken for a High Brown, The edge of the wing is torn, giving it the 'concave' look of HBF, while the light shining through the wing causes some of the upper surface spots to show through, as if they are underwing HBF markings! Unfortunately, I did not succeed in obtaining a good underwing photo of an HBF on this visit, though my son did, which was welcome proof that their presence was not just down to wishful thinking!

We soon realised that yet another Fritillary was present - smaller and slightly less rapid in flight (though still quick by SPB standards!). These Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were in surprisingly good condition, for such a late date, and were still quite plentiful, roaming across the stands of bracken and feeding on the brambles.
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
I was fortunate to spot a pair of SPBs with amorous intent and then tracked them as they descended into a patch of long grass to mate. It was not easy to get into position for a photo but I eventually managed to get a fairly clear view of them both. I suspect the one on the right is the male, since it has a much larger eye. They had chosen a very discreet spot, partially wrapped around by a grass leaf!
It was while I was struggling to capture shots of this pair that my son called to say he had an HBF underside in his sights - but I decided to stick with my own 'find'. Other butterflies that we saw included Brown Argus, Small Heath, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, and Ringlet. Another insect that my son spotted first was a large Golden-ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii). When he first tried to draw it to my attention, I failed to see it, because it was so much larger than my brain was expecting!
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/320s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 - 1/320s@f/4 ISO125
After initial distant shots with my Lumix FZ200, it became apparent that it was so intent on consuming its prey, that a close approach with the macro lens on my Nikon was possible. This shot shows the bee, which is being consumed.
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro lens - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
As evening approached, the butterflies showed very little signs of slowing down but seemed to melt away into the trees to roost. I think it will need a return visit, a little later in the season, when the males have succeeded in finding their mates and are ready to spend more time in other pleasures, such as nectaring. When we finally left the site at around 7:30pm, Meadow Browns were still basking on the bracken fronds - perhaps the longest day of the year was not the best choice for seeking resting Fritillaries :)
Old Castle Down - 21st June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 max zoom - 1/1000s@f/2.8 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 max zoom - 1/1000s@f/2.8 ISO125
Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

So glad you enjoyed your visit to Old Castle Down Mike :) your generic term for the fritillaries during the heat on Saturday is very apt...High Speed Fritillary :lol: love it!!!

I was there on Friday and experienced similar conditions to yourselves, but its a wonderful site worthy of such lovely butterflies :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to thank you for the pointers at Daneway which led to my seeing 3 LB's and a lifer, which was amazing and mainly down to you.
Daneway LB
Daneway LB
I also had my 17th species in the garden at home which was a marbled white, which came as a huge surprise.

I am keeping my eyes peeled for DGF's but to no avail the far.

I am glad your weekend was a success.

Flutter on!

CJB

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Many thanks, Willrow and CJB. I'm really pleased to see the Large Blues doing well at Daneway, while Old Castle Down was a splendid experience.

With good weather after a warm Spring, this is developing as a good butterfly year. Let's hope some continental species think that we are worth a visit this year :)

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Just to further confuse things, Mike, those visiting Old Castle Down in the next week or so may actually have to identify FOUR different Fritillaries, as Silver Washed will be around any day now and, as you saw, the last of the SPBFs are still hanging on!

Oh were Pearl Bordereds still found at this site (extinct 1985, sadly). Then we'd have all five violet-feeding Frits. If only BC could get their hands on this place, maybe that would become reality again.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks David - I suppose the challenge now is to get them all in one photo 8)

Mike

CJB

Post by CJB »

Good morning Mike!

Once again thank you for helping me locate the LB; an amazing lifer!

I gather that there are WLH's at Daneway and wondered if you knew where they are?

I am trying to drop in there this afternoon and would love to find them!

Imagine if I can catch up with a DGF as well! :D :D :D

I am up to 45 species snapped on the mobile so far, which I will publish once I have the full set!

My most treasured picture, even though it is not a particularly great picture is of a monarch which I snapped at London Zoo. I pointed it out to the keeper of the butterfly house who said it was not an escapee!

My biggest disappointment to date was failing to catch up with the Long Tailed Blues after a trip to Dover, but I suspect there might be a chance this year if the season continues in its current form.

The tally in the garden is now up to 17 species, including a Marbled White, which was a real surprise. :shock:

Looking forward to your next report.

Flutter on!

CJB

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

With the weather forecast predicting a cooler and wetter period ahead, I decided to pay a return visit to Daneway Banks this afternoon (26th June). There was a thin layer of high cloud, with a coolish breeze, but this did not deter the huge numbers of Marbled Whites ranging over the site.
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 with +1 closeup lens - 1/60s@f/5.6 ISO100
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014
Lumix FZ200 with +1 closeup lens - 1/60s@f/5.6 ISO100
It was not long before I spotted my first Large Blue but it was being harrassed by a Meadow Brown and flew past very rapidly. My wife saw another Large Blue, together with a Common Blue, at around the same time. Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Heath, and Large Skipper were all plentiful. Apart from butterflies, there was much more Thyme in flower than on my previous visit, as well as several colonies of Pyramidal Orchids
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/500s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 - 1/500s@f/4 ISO125
We had further 'fly pasts' of, possibly, the same Large Blues, as we walked up the central valley through the reserve. Further up the path, we saw the Small Eggar larval web, mentioned yesterday by CJB in his Personal Diary. To provide a sense of scale, I show this being viewed by my wife plus a close up of some of the caterpillars on top of the 'web'.
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/640s@f/4 ISO125
Lumix FZ200 - 1/640s@f/4 ISO125
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO400
We completed a circuit of the reserve, enjoying the clouds of Marbled Whites and the profusion of wild flowers. We did not see any more Large Blues, however, and the clouds were getting thicker all the time. Then, when we had returned to within only about 20 yards of the Entrance Gate, I was fortunate to spot a pair of mating Large Blues, close to the path.

By this time, the other visitors we had seen during the afternoon had all left the site, so I was able to take photographs without interruption, As on my previous visit, I had brought both my Lumix FZ200 bridge camera and my Nikon D300s, with 90mm Tamron macro lens, so I took my time experimenting with many different settings, including use of flash for some photos (which showed no sign of disturbing the butterflies). I have chosen just two photos to illustrate the relative merits of the two cameras.

The bridge camera excels in taking photos that show the butterfly within the context of its setting.
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 with +1 closeup lens - 1/50s@f/5.6 ISO100
Lumix FZ200 with +1 closeup lens - 1/50s@f/5.6 ISO100
On the other hand, the DSLR/macro lens is excellent for isolating the subject against an out-of focus background.
Daneway Banks - 26th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/60s@f/8 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/60s@f/8 ISO400
The time passed quickly but, at around 5:30pm, the first drops of rain started to fall and we retreated to the car. I do hope that the Large Blues found some shelter, since the rain soon became quite heavy but I expect that the butterflies have learned how to cope with changeable weather conditions, over their many million years of evolution.

Mike

ps I have no information about WLH at this site, CJB.
Last edited by MikeOxon on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent images, Mike. This site is really becoming a 'must visit' and I intend to do so very soon.

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Mike,

The hibernaculum was an extraordinary sight to behold and thank you for educating me on the technical term!

I met a local called Mark who told that there are two spots where the WLH have been seen, but I wasn't sure about the exact location. He said that there were two elms next two ash trees in two spots up from the inn. Hopefully between you and I we will locate them.

It is great reading your Daneway reports and being able to picture where you are! The LB's were in all corners of the reserve, including next to the small gate at the bottom of the hill, by the inn.

Flutter on!

CJB

Return to “Personal Diaries”