Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Nice report Goldie, espeically like the second Large Skipper shot - I like the three quarters pose :D Good luck with the DGF, HBF and the NBA - I've never seen the last two :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzal, I'll have to wait patiently for next week to see the HBF, (may be) I know it's usually out about the middle of June that depends on the weather though, when I've gone up to GB before it's been usually hot and around the 22nd, so I thought next week a good Idea, it's near enough.

I may try Arnside Knot first for the Northern A, it's been seen there some times before GB, fingers crossed on that one :D

Glad you like the Large Skipper I always like to see their faces it adds more interest I think :D

I went to Hall-Lee-Brook again the day after and got some more shots and also a surprise, I saw my first Common Blue ever there and then this Red Admiral landed in front of me, he's a bit worn on the right wing but he's also got an extra white spot, I saw a RA just like this one in my garden last year, that was in October I think, I wonder if we're going to have a few more like it this year, we don't usually see these Butterflies until Sept/October, I must pop over to HLB again soon you never know what will show up next :D Goldie
Attachments
Red Admiral HLB 11th June 2014 IMG_6032.JPG
Common Blue HLB 11th June 2014 IMG_6049.JPG
Large Skipper HLB 11th June 2014 IMG_6022.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday I went up to Gaits Barrow, I'd listened to the weather forcast and it seemed the best day of the week the rest being cloudy, anyway as it turns out it was an interesting day but a week too soon for the High Brown and DG Frit's (worse luck)
After Parking the car we set off walking and two Speckled Woods caught my attention, I thought they were mating because one was persistently chasing the other one, they landed on the ground in front of me and to my amazement one preceded to lay on it's side has though dead, the other one started to poke and prog it but no way would it move, after a while the Male flew off and the female just got up and did the same :lol:

We moved on following the purple path way wondering what we'd encounter next to top that :D I saw what I thought was a small moth because it was very pale on the underside so once again I went to look, I was surprised to see the brown and yellow spots, I think it may be a Northern Brown Argus, point is I'm not sure, I know they've a white spot in their wing but this one seemed much more faded it's just my luck if it turns out to be a CB :D I took another shot of what I think is a CB Female she was taking off at the time so the pic is a bit fuzzy. I've posted one of each so if any one knows for sure :!:

After that encounter we walked on to the Lime stones I wanted to go where I'd seen the SPBF a couple of weeks before that's when I saw the flutter of wings and couldn't believe it when I saw a Grayling (also Posted) I took some pic's and as we walked on we met this man making a record of what he'd seen, so I showed him my picture because I was so amazed at the Graying this early, he said it definately was and he was has surprised has us :D We told him where we'd seen it and he went I think to look. After that I took some more shots of the SMPF and also the Ringlets we saw which were also coming out. It was a fun day out even if I didn't get the other fritillaries but there's still time yet for those :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6194.JPG
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th june 2014 IMG_6197.JPG
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6198.JPG
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6201.JPG
Common Blue GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6214.JPG
Northern Brown Argus GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6209.JPG
Grayling GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6238.JPG
Ringlet GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6247.JPG

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It looks as though female Speckled Woods know the "I've got a sick headache" routine :lol: Interesting set of photos. The Northern Brown Argus at Gait Barrows are the salmacis form that often does not have white spots but looks very similar to the 'Southern' version.

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, I have seen Speckled Woods act like this a few times, Like Mike says, it is the females way of putting off the male :wink: , probably because she has already mated.

I was at Gait Barrows last Friday afternoon whilst staying up at Arnside, first time I have been there, looks like a great place :D .
I saw a few Northern Brown Argus plus Small-pearl bordered Fritillaries but no Grayling unfortunately, guess they are just emerging there, it does seem early. I have still got to sort through my photos from there to put in my diary.

Bye the way, I reckon that both your shots above are NBAs.

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

nfreem wrote:
Bye the way, I reckon that both your shots above are NBAs.
They have to be. There's no other alternative.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Guy's, I've also seen Common Blue at Gaits Barrow that's why I wondered about these two photo's, in fact earlier in the month I took a couple of photo's of the female CB which I'll post again in my Dairy.

I was hoping they were NBA and not CB :D hoped also for better photo's :D but I'll be up there again before I go a way looking for the HBF and DGF, I missed them last year so it's a must this year. :D I think I've a thing with grass stalks this year :D

Gaits Barrow is a great place Neil and you get to know the best places to see the Butterflies, when we were there we went up the path by the meadow, it's a bit of an incline but once your at the top you can see the meadow below and all around us the thistles were taller than we were :D When the HBF is out it flies there with the DGF when we didn't see them we knew we were too early. The SPBF also flies there and that's where I got my photo from :D

Your right Mike about the Female SW she's certainly got the right idea :lol: Last year I took a photo of the NBA but the butterfly was missing bits and pieces and I was told then it was called a Salmascis, so thank you for confirming that for me also for your kind comments :D

David, thanks for your input but you know what they say (when in doubt ask the experts) :D

The two photo's were taken at GB on the 6th June, I was informed they were CB's , the photo of the SPBF was taken on the 16th June. Thanks again everyone Goldie :D
Attachments
SPBF GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6265.JPG
Common Blue GB 6th June 2014 IMG_5893.JPG
Common Blue GB 6th June 2014 IMG_5889.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A nice selection there Goldie. I've heard about that behaviour before but have never seen it and your photo captures it well. Well done for spotting the Grayling and that Frit shot is very nice indeed. You must be feeling very pleased with yourself and deservedly so :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you Pauline, must admit I feel over the moon. :lol:

I can't wait to go South now ,I' d love to see a Brown Hair Streak, your photo's are great. I don't suppose they'll be out when I'm down there, you never know though, I didn't think I'd see a Grayling so soon but there it it was. :D

Must go back to GB are Arnside Knot before my hol's if possible, the HBF is on my list for this year although I've got shots of it but from a couple of years back.

Also I've heard they' re releasing Large Heath at Heysham nr Morcambe in July, I've no photo's of the LH yet so I must find out the dates for their release. It's all happening Pauline :D

I hope your feeling better about your cat now Pauline, it took me quite a while to get over my dog. I'd two before her but she was so young, keep your photo's coming I think their fab. Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

If you are looking for Large Heath, Goldie, then Meathop Moss, on the opposite side of the estuary from Arnside, always used to be a good place. I haven't been for many years but the Cumbria Wildlife Trust should have information.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up Goldie - a great selection of shots. The SPBF is a cracker and the behaviour sequence of the Specklies is just brill :D lad to see that yu got your NBA, just the DGF and HBFs to go then 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

MikeOxon wrote:If you are looking for Large Heath, Goldie, then Meathop Moss, on the opposite side of the estuary from Arnside, always used to be a good place. I haven't been for many years but the Cumbria Wildlife Trust should have information.

Mike
I paid a short visit to Meathop Moss last Saturday(14th) morning before hitting the M6 back to the midlands. In around an hour in warm sunny conditions I saw a dozen or more quite fresh looking Large Heath, I don't think they had been out long.

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for asking after Stanleigh, Goldie - it is very thoughtful of you. I still miss her a great deal and will do for some time I expect. It is the main reason I am spending so much time out with my camera recently - trying to take my mind off it, y'know? Keep posting your lovely photos.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil and Mike for your info on Meathop Moss, I've been once before there but just missed the LH. There is a place nearer to me and I plan to go there first it's called "Winmarleigh Moss" and it's a nature reserve in Lancashire near Pilling which is just across the River Wyre from Fleetwood. Each year for the past 3 I've been going but some thing as always come up to stop me, this time I'm definately going :D If I've no luck there I can always try Meathop :D

Thanks for your posting Wurzal I missed your Photo's and I've to catch up on your reports yet :D Glad you like the sequence of shots and PBF I liked that one myself :D I'm hoping to go back up to either GB or ASKnot, but since I've heard the Large Heath are out I may check on those first just because I've yet to see one :D So (fingers crossed) I've set my self a task for the next couple of weeks before I go south :D

Hi! Pauline, I got a call from my daughter on Sunday to say she's had to have her dog put to sleep. "Pepper" he was called, when we went down with our dog they played together, Sheba she was called she couldn't wait to get out of the car to see him :D (He was 13 a good age for a Lab,) boy did he miss Sheba at first when we went without her, That's when I got up set the most because he looked for her and couldn't understand where she'd gone, She had a brain Tumour she was only 8.
I told my daughter it was for the best, she said she felt guilty, but he couldn't walk so it had to be done. We took Sheba's ashes down there because she loved it so much and Peppers ashes will be scattered where we did Sheba's.

Enough now of being sad :) we have our Memories and our Photography to get on with :D I look forward to seeing your photo's Pauline so keep them coming, Mean time I took this one today I think it's cute Goldie :D :D
Attachments
Large Skipper HLB 21st June 2014 IMG_6334.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It is a cutie :D Good luck with the LHs :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Back from the hol's , I didn't get what I wanted in Hampshire,(which was the Purple Emp ) but I thought Bently Wood was fantastic, I'd not got really good shots before of Silver- W Frit's and to my delight they were every where :D

I took this shot of a Valezina SWF I didn't have much time, she was hidden in the bush and kept moving mostly round the bottom of a tree then she decided to fly just as I got her in my sight's so I'm afraid the photo's not too good but at least I got some thing so I was pleased. :D

We had a laugh, when I saw this Butterfly fly down from a tree and I thought it was a PE, it's more like a Meadow Brown :lol: not that I'd know not having seen a PE . :lol:( only in books) :lol:

I took lots of shots of Marble Whites, they really are a lovely Butterfly and I couldn't miss them they were in the field directly behind the Cottage where we stayed.

We moved on to Kent second week to my daughter's, of course I made a B line for East Blean Woods and the Heath Frit's. I was amazed when I got there , there were so few of them, I suppose they'd been out for a while and that was why but I'm not sure.

For a day out our daughter took us to Dean Woods and we thought we saw a PE but it could have been a White Admiral in any case it was much to quick for us.

Midweek we went to Dover, my Husband loves to watch the boats going to France and back, I spotted a flash of Blue and followed it, I was so pleased when it turned out to be a Chalkhill Blue because of the nice weather they were early and I thought I'd miss them I was over the moon. :D

So my holiday turned out to be great and apart from a thunder storm which was quite spectacular ,( I must be strange I love to see the lighting :D ) There were no problems. Now maybe I'll go up to Arnside Knot and see some HBF if they've not gone, I went up just before I went a way and saw only SPF, I seem to be either too soon or too late :D Goldie :D
Attachments
SWF BW 6th July 2014 IMG_6532.JPG
SWF Valezina Female BW 11th july 2014 IMG_6819.JPG
SWF Valezina Female BW 11th July 2014 IMG_6821.JPG
MB BW 6th July 2014 MG_6598.JPG
MW BW 9th July 2014 IMG_6765.JPG
Heath Frit EBW 13th July 2014 IMG_6880.JPG
Chalkhill Blue Dover 14th July 2014 IMG_6930.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Kent. Up on the White Cliffs of Dover the views are spectacular and like you I've seen Chalkhill Blues there. And my experience of East Blean Wood this year was just the same as yours, the number of Heath Fritillaries was low. I bumped into a KWT Ranger and he said that it's getting so overgrown there that the Heath's food-plant, Cow Wheat, is being pushed out. I don't know if there are any plans to help clear the unwanted plants to allow the Cow Wheat to re-establish itself.

Best Wishes,

Hoggers

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Sounds like you had a smashing time Goldie and congrats on getting the Valesina shot - I have wanted to see one for years and have only just succeeded.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's , Yes I really enjoyed my holiday in Kent but was very dissapointed when I only saw so few Heath Fritillary, a couple of years ago the car park was full of them, infact you'd to be careful not to run over them :D I do hope they do some thing about the unwanted plants other wise we're going to loose another Butterfly.

Hi! Pauline I was very lucky to see the the Valezina, she didn't move far from the base of the tree and it was dark not the sort of place you'd usually look for a Butterfly, but I've since read in my book that's where the females like to go near the base of oak trees looking looking for Violets, any way glad to hear you've also seen one :D

On Monday I went to Arnside Knot looking for the High Brown Frit, also the Dark Green Frit, and I was hoping to see the Scotch Argus, Well I got two out of three so I'm pretty happy. :D

I saw the Scotch Argus but although I searched I didn't see any thing else, so after a coffee break we decided to go to Gaits Barrow. After arriving we decided to take the road down through the fields to where I'd see them before, It wasn't long before we saw loads of meadow thistles,(the small purple ones) and sat a top was this Dark green Fritillary I was so pleased. The Butterfly was very pale so I supposed she'd been flying for a while but she was in good condition so well worth taking some shots of her, I say her, because I believe the Female is paler than the Male,(I'm not so well up on them yet, I keep reading) :D I'd to really look through my books to make sure I'd got the right Fritillary, but I'm getting there :D

Whilst at Arnside Knot I took a shot of a Small Skipper it looked different, I know it's worn but I've not seen one like this before when it's colour 's have faded, worth a Picture I thought. :?:

I also and for the first time saw a Gate Keeper just sitting there with it's wings wide open, as if for take off worth anther shot :D Goldie :D

I nearly forgot I also got my first ever Essex Skipper while on my Hols so I'm well Pleased Goldie :D
Attachments
Essex Skipper TEW 15th July 2014 IMG_6968.JPG
Scotch Argus 28th July ASK 2014IMG_7175.JPG
DGF GB 28th july 2014 IMG_7228.JPG
DGF GB 28th july 2014 IMG_7216.JPG
Small Skipper Arnside Knot 28th July 2014 IMG_7155.JPG
Gate Keeper Arnside Knot 28th july 2014 IMG_7163.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Looks like you had a good time in Kent and congratulations on your valesina SWF :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”