Hipparchias from Lesvos

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
JKT

Hipparchias from Lesvos

Post by JKT »

I'll start with a single picture. Is this H. mersina? It certainly is the only candidate. It was also the only worn one I recall seeing.
Attachments
YIMG_6886-6887.jpg
JKT

Re: Hipparchias from Lesvos

Post by JKT »

...and the rest of the Hipparchias. It seems to me that the first might be something else and the rest are likely the same. The rest are likely H. senthes. I don't recall seeing an upperside that could be H. aristaeus. The first seems problematic. It does not seem like H. pellucida, which is the last species like this on the island. Is it just the only male H. senthes?
Attachments
YIMG_6900.jpg
YIMG_6894-6898.jpg
YIMG_7163.jpg
YIMG_7176.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The individual in your first post looks absolutely perfect for mersina. I don't know how much looks count, given the extreme variability of most graylings, but if they do, this is it.

Of the next lot, I would have called 1 and 3 senthes (which I thought was the Balkan version of aristaeus) and 2 and 4 pellucida. I'll wait for those who have more experience of Greek graylings to comment before justifying this ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
JKT

Post by JKT »

Thanks!
I mentioned H. aristaeus because it has been listed from Lesvos along with H. senthes. That could be a mistake coming from the time the latter was considered a subspecies of the former.

Your opinion of the last four was promising - I thought I'd missed H. pellucida.

Return to “Overseas”