Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Vince Massimo »

Pauline wrote:still wondering what those 'eggs' are - anybody???
Hi Pauline,

I don't believe these are eggs,
P1310387ad cropped.jpg
P1310387ad cropped.jpg (54.43 KiB) Viewed 405 times
but more likely to be part of the flower itself, probably immature anthers, which will turn yellow and produce pollen. Those that I have in my garden have nearly all finished, so I cannot check for white structures like these. A bit more information can be found here: http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/woodlan ... ers/bugle/

Really sorry to hear about your cat.

Vince

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote: I did see a butterfly which I assume was a Fritillary but unlike the slow and sleepy PBF's and SPBF's I had left behind this one was moving at the speed of light and I simply couldn't follow it with my eyes. It would disappear over the fence or behind a bush without a trace.
I had exactly the same experience recently, when looking for MF at a different site!

I think the ultra-fast critter may have been a Fox Moth. The males fly in the afternoon and zoom over the ground searching for females. As you say, they are almost impossible to follow and suddenly zoom high into the air without warning. I first encountered one several years ago and was totally mystified. Needless to say, I have never got a camera anywhere near one, despite much trying :)

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you on both counts Vince. I am actually relieved that they are not eggs as I would have regretted not seeing them at the time.

That sounds like a plausible explanation Mike. I was beginning to think I was losing it :lol: as I just couldn't keep my eyes on the critter.

I know I said I wasn't going to do this but I blame Andy :wink: :lol: On seeing that my BH pupa were emerging indoors he suggested I move them outside to increase the humidity. Naturally, with the cold, wet weather experienced recently any subsequent emergence was delayed so I am now having the pleasure of watching the remaining butterflies emerge. They certainly brighten up these dreary days:
P1310546ad.jpg
P1310590ad.jpg
P1300953ad.jpg
P1310595ad.jpg
P1310558ad.jpg
P1300974ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Ooops, forgot these!!!
P1310604ad.jpg
P1310640ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More stunning Black Hairstreak shots Pauline :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: All the moral/ethics/anxiety aside it must be nice to have some butterflies on hand to photograph during the inclement weather. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Your photos just keep getting better :D I love the third 'blue mood' one.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photo's Pauline :mrgreen: I really am quite jealous :D Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I'm just salvating Pauline...simply stunning images of an iconic species!!!

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the compliment Wurzel. I can't find a Swallowtail so just have to make do with boring old BH :lol: Seriously tho, I know your views on this and I agree with you. One day we will get to catch up and I can put your mind to rest.

Thank you too Goldie. I have a post coming soon which might be of interest to you.

I appreciate that Mike. I am using the BH not just to improve my photography but to experiment with colours and shapes as I am definitely not artistic or creative, so don't yet know what works well and what doesn't. Hope you can bear with me and please feel free to criticise.

I'm so pleased I haven't bored the pants off you yet Bill. Thank you for the comment.

Yesterday I checked my Orange Tips and they are still quite tiny so I am still struggling to get a decent shot - not helped by the poor light and the fact they are housed in black netting. I took shots throughout the day and was surprised how the appearance of the cats changed with the light. They are such pretty little things and seem to have a metallic appearance to them:
P1310718ad.jpg
P1310727ad.jpg
P1310809ad.jpg
P1310816ad.jpg
P1310828ad.jpg
P1310822a.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote:I am definitely not artistic or creative
Yes you are - the proof is in this thread.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I try to learn from photos others have taken which I admire. At Southwick last year Mud-puddling took a photo of a LTB sat close to black berries which perfectly complemented the butterfly's markings (I believe it is in the gallery somewhere) and it was that photo that caused me to think more about plants, background, positions etc. which enhance the butterfly rather than detract from it. When Goldie mentioned backgrounds recently, I recalled the problems I used to have getting an uncluttered background. At Denbies a couple of years ago I took a photo of a pair of mating Chalkhill Blues which just happened to be in front of an old grey metal animal water trough and I found the result quite pleasing. That got me thinking! The grey metal became a pale grey which perfectly complemented the blue of the butterflies. Sometimes I find certain green backgrounds too harsh though I realise that this is subjective and down to personal preference. I was amused recently to read Pete's admission that he sometimes uses a green jacket for his background. I thought I would try out some different backgrounds for the BH as I have been experimenting with complimentary and contrasting colours. I would be interested in any views/opinions.
P1310881ad.jpg
Plain grey background which is actually the garden path.
P1310901ad.jpg
Just having fun now and the background is a Sainsbury's plastic carrier bag :lol:

This background is the tarpaulin covering the garden furniture.
P1310975ad.jpg
P1310986ad.jpg
This is the lawn and the hedge and my least favourite background.

So, I guess the moral of the story is to get a bit inventive with the backgrounds; look around and use what is to hand as even different trees provide more subtle shades of green.

To finish with the BH I would just like to include a shot which I think includes both male and female given the size difference and the difference in size of the tails which David alerted me to earlier
P1310895ad.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You can also see the male sex brand in relief in the left-hand butterfly (the oval spot in the top corner of the cell) while the female, on the right, is quite flat there.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Well I think they're all beautiful Pauline!

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The plain grey works best for me.

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Superb images again, Pauline. Your diary includes some breathtaking images that have no equal on this site or any other.

You should feel very proud of your work.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote: Thank you too Neil but you didn't tell me your moggies name - I like to know all the details :lol:
Hi Pauline,

I have got some catching up to do after a few days on the Isle of Wight, nearly missed this, our moggies (I should really say Jane's moggy) name is Benjy.

Some interesting background colours for your BH images. I usually prefer a natural look but there is no denying that some of them work really well. Some lovely images :D

With regard to Pete's comment about using his coat, I have seen a few things whilst out and about over the past few years ranging from bits of clothing, large leaves and sheets of coloured card placed behind the photo. I have also seen some quite inventive little gadgets and clamps used to hold grass stems and twigs and suchlike with butterflies at just the right pose.
Each to their own I suppose but for me when the result starts to look like it has been taken in a studio it begins to lose its appeal a bit. That's probably the difference between a proper photographer and myself who just likes to take photos of butterflies as I see them, in their natural surroundings.
Having said that I will usually look for the best background I can get from the natural surroundings for any given shot. I remember last summer taking some photos against a background of dry grass which gave a pleasing pastel yellowish/beige effect.

Keep up the experiments, it's always interesting to see the results and follow your thoughts and above all keep on having fun doing it :D

All the best,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More stunning BH shots Pauline :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My fave is obviously the pair together, simply fantastic :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh Pauline, I don't know what to say about your BH images, they are simply stunning!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Beautiful shots of your BH Pauline :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all so much for your amazing comments.

I would never even have noticed that Guy if you hadn't brought it to my attention so I have learned something new today :D .

I think Benjy is a grand name for a cat Jane and from Neil's description he sounds a very handsome chap indeed. I, too, like the more natural shots Neil which is why I read your diary, and William's and Guy's .... oh, I've started now and there are so many more I could mention! However, I do think there is a lot of skill goes into those shots - as you say, getting the best background, the best composition etc. I try to take more natural shots from time to time but I am not very good at it and instead of coming out like a beautiful painting you would want on your wall it just comes out a cluttered mess. Perhaps I should try harder! I am sure I remember that dried grass shot - in fact I think I asked you how you had managed it - but for the life of me I can't remember the butterfly (was it a Small Copper perhaps)?

David, I think I shall print out your comment and frame it for those days when I can't even get the butterfly in focus :D Thank you.

I am pleased you like my photos Susie - thank you for taking the time to let me know.

My favourite would have been the orange one Mike if the orange had been slightly paler and less blotchy - but that was the white writing, the brand name, on the carrier bag. Having searched the garden for a leaf which was the exact colour of the butt I wanted to match the orange markings :lol: . Generally speaking tho' I think a pale grey/neutral background works quite well.

I was pleased to get that shot Wurzel. I was hoping that I might be able to but with them both moving around it was more luck than judgement :roll:

Thank you too, to both Mike and Lee. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and I an pleased you enjoy my diary.

Late afternoon yesterday I was told that Adonis Blues were just emerging at Old Winchester Hill. Although it was late in the day I was at a bit of a loose end so I decided to take a quick look. It was quite breezy on that hill - isn't it always!!??? - but sure enough, despite the clouds there were a few Adonis hunkered down in the grass (I always thought they roosted on stems as several Common Blues were doing. I managed some closed wing shots but I was hoping and praying for just a little early evening sunshine to get those wings open and reveal the beauty of the upper side. At last it happened :D . A few shots from yesterday:
P1320090ad.jpg
P1320118ad.jpg
P1320139ad.jpg
P1320160ad.jpg
P1320188ad.jpg
P1320183ad.jpg
P1320199ad.jpg
P1320227ad.jpg
As can be seen, I tried from all angles and positions to capture that beautiful turquoise sheen but I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible.
Last edited by Pauline on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”