jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

HI Wurzel, David, Mike and Hoggers, thanks for all your lovely comments :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Despite the weather forecast this weekend I managed to get out on both Saturday and Sunday :D

Saturday 26.4.2014 Moorgreen Meadows

This site is a short walk from home, but is an area I have not visited much. It is partly wooded and also very wet and boggy for most of the year. It is also the only place close to home where Cuckoo flower grows in any sort of abundance. So I thought I would check it out for Orange Tips.
DSCN9200 - Copy.JPG
The only area where Cuckoo Flower grows locally
The only area where Cuckoo Flower grows locally
On Saturday despite poor weather I found a gap in the showers in the afternoon after I had done all the chores. There was a stiff breeze blowing but at least a little sunshine. The area where the Cuckoo flower grows is unfortunately fenced off (I am not sure if that is to keep me or the deer out :? ) but I could see there were at least 4 Orange tips bobbing around on the cuckoo flower when the sun was out but they were too far away for photos. Further along I found a clearing with a large patch of Bluebells where there were 2 Peacocks basking and also the incongruous sight of a fresh Speckled Wood nectaring on a Bluebell :D I ventured further into the wooded area than I have before and found a lovely area carpeted with Wood Sorrel.
An area of Bluebells where I found a Speckled Wood nectaring
An area of Bluebells where I found a Speckled Wood nectaring
Wood Sorrel
Wood Sorrel
Brimstone settled momentarily whilst the sun disappeared
Brimstone settled momentarily whilst the sun disappeared
I kept going and found the track leads into the back of an industrial estate but here I found a couple of male Brimstone. Pausing on foliage the moment the sun disappeared giving me the rare opportunity for a photo. I nice area and one that I shall visit again this year. One particular part looks like it would suit White Admiral, there is certainly honeysuckle in the right sort of locationss. White Admiral? within walking distance of home? now wouldnt that be good :wink:

Sunday 27.4.2014 Stephens Castle Down

Well the the forecast said it would rain and it did, heavily, for most of the day :( I waited and waited for the faintest sign of sunshine and eventually it came mid afternoon. I was determined to check my local downland site again to see if there was any sign of Dukes or Green Hairstreaks. I arrived just as a large patch of blue sky approached my destination. I quickly donned wellies and ran up the road so as not to miss out on the gap in the showers, taking my umbrella with me :lol:
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Clouded Silver Moth
Clouded Silver Moth
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
First up a Green Veined White fluttered into view. Today conditions were totally different to last week and to be honest I was not expecting much. As I entered the site proper a Dingy skipper landed on a dandelion. There was not a lot of butterfly activity but half a dozen each of Dingy and Grizzled skipper was all I could manage. A couple of nice moths showed themselves, but still no Dukes or Green Hairstreaks :( Obviously it was not nice enough to entice out any Brimstones which were by far the most numerous species at this site last week. This is the first time I have taken a brolly butterfly watching, but in the end I did not need it. I shall check again next week though the weather does not look likely to improve at all this week.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Dingy shot Jack :D I know what you mean about taking a brolly butterflying, I never feel right wearing my waterproof jacket when out looking for butterflies. :? Hopefully the weather will improve for the weekend but it doesn't look good for the rest of it, just as things were starting to kick off :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely moth Paul and great shot of the Brimstone :D

David M

Post by David M »

I've never seen a Clouded Silver Moth before, Jack. Are they rare?

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Thanks for the comments :D Hopefully I will not need the brolly too often this year :lol:

Hi Pauline and David

Thanks for the comments :D The moth is a rather nice one and one I had not seen before :D Apparently it is a fairly common species.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

A busy few days with my captive rearing subjects:-

Wednesday 30.4.2014 - Monday 5.5.2014 Purple Hairstreak Larvae

It seems that the best time to get a glimpse of these larvae is at night, after heavy rainfall. Wednesday 30.4.2014 was only the second time I had managed to spot the larva despite hours of looking :shock: Both times were at night after heavy rain. This time the larvae was moving around quite a lot and feeding, things I had not seen much evidence of previously.
30.4.2014 2nd sighting of my Purple Hairstreak larva after rain
30.4.2014 2nd sighting of my Purple Hairstreak larva after rain
2.5.2014 Purple Hairstreak larva enjoying a fresh twig of foliage
2.5.2014 Purple Hairstreak larva enjoying a fresh twig of foliage
5.5.2014 Purple Hairstreak larva with just shed skin and a change of colouration
5.5.2014 Purple Hairstreak larva with just shed skin and a change of colouration
I started with three Purple Hairstreak eggs of which two hatched. It would seem that I now have only one remaining larvae :( I had them in quite close proximity but on separate twigs. I assume that one has either been eaten by the other or met some other form of demise. I have now transferred this remaining larvae (or allowed it to transfer itself :wink:) to another larger twig with more foliage. Of course this now makes searching for it more difficult :? I had noticed that over this weekend the larvae did not seem to move at all and remained in the same conspicuous position. When I checked this afternoon I noticed that it appeared to be just at the end of shedding its skin. I have no idea what instar it is now in as most of its life it has been hidden from view.

Friday 2.5.2014 - Sunday 4.5.2014 Speckled Wood Ova

This weekend I noticed that the single Speckled Wood ova that I rescued from the garden, had started to change colour. This species I have reared before so hopefully things should be a lot more straightforward than the Purple Hairstreak. This ova was laid on the 18.4.2014. On Friday 2.5.2104 I noticed that the top of the ova had darkened considerably, a sure sign of imminent hatching. On Saturday there was no sign of hatching and on Sunday morning still no sign. After my return from a superb mornings butterfly watching (more of that later) I was pleased to note that the ova had hatched.
2.5.2014 Speckled Wood Ova with distinct darkening at the top
2.5.2014 Speckled Wood Ova with distinct darkening at the top
4.5.2014 Freshly hatched Speckled Wood larva
4.5.2014 Freshly hatched Speckled Wood larva
The tiny greenish white larvae has a distinct, shiny black head. The last time I reared this species I used cut Couch Grass as foodplant. I now have potted Cocks Foot but I think I shall experiment with different grass. The grass that the ova was laid on was neither Couch or Cocks foot, in fact I do not know what sort of grass it was :?:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shots of your youngsters Paul - the Speckled Wood is very interesting.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 4.5.2014 Stephens Castle Down

I was hoping that this would be third time lucky. The third visit I have made to this site in as many weeks. I was hoping for confirmation that the singletons of Duke of Burgundy and Green Hairstreak that I saw here last year were not just wanderers that happened to drift in from elsewhere. After the rain of the previous week I was grateful of some sunshine albeit accompanied by some cloud and a little breeze. My arrival was greeted by the welcome site of a male Orange Tip purposefully flying down the lane :D A Peacock, disturbed from the nettles, settled down to bask on the path as I made my way up to the best butterfly area on the site. After only a few minutes and a couple of Dingy Skippers I spotted my first Duke of Burgundy of the year :D :D This brought a huge amount of satisfaction and a big smile to my face :D Almost immediately that I saw the first there seemed to be a couple more :D
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Burgundy
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
I am no expert but think they were all males ranging from fresh to perhaps a week old. It will be interesting to see how numbers increase over the next week or so, I will try check the site regularly. There is a sheltered hollow right in the middle of this site and this is exactly where I found the Dukes. They were, of course, accompanied by Dingy Skippers. Once I had spent some time observing the Dukes I wandered off to some of the other areas soon spotting a few Grizzled Skippers. By now it had started to warm up and all of a sudden there seemed to be lots of Brimstone in the air.
Grizzled Skipper underside
Grizzled Skipper underside
Male Brimstone
Male Brimstone
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
I now set off after my second target. My memorable encounter with Green Hairstreak last year at another site taught me that they like Hawthorn and Elder shrubs particularly and they often sit at head height. I spent an age checking the area where I saw one here in early June last year without success.
The large expanse of Garlic Mustard where I found plenty of Orange Tips as well as Green Hairstreaks
The large expanse of Garlic Mustard where I found plenty of Orange Tips as well as Green Hairstreaks
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
I decided to check out a part of the site that I have not explored yet. I made my way up to the top of the hill where the Monarchs Way passes the site. On the way finding the grisly sight of a decomposing Deer carcass in the long grass :shock: Here I could see quite a number of Orange Tips along the track together with a bit of Garlic Mustard growing along the track. I needed to go outside of the reserve to get to the track. Once along the track I could see the top corner of this site was actually awash with Garlic Mustard but the sun and the Orange Tips had disappeared at that point. This area was freshly cleared when I visited last year and was now showing the benefits. As I walked along the track (outside of the reserve) a small dark butterfly fluttered across my path and flew toward a stand of young ash Saplings (inside the reserve) and settled just to far away to see clearly. Could this be my Green Hairstreak :?: I made my way quickly back toward the gate into the reserve. At this point the sun reappeared . As I turned and looked behind me the Orange Tips, which had disappeared from view suddenly came to life :D I backtracked to the area of Garlic Mustard at which point another similar small dark butterfly fluttered across and settled on the edge of a Garlic Mustard leaf. Unfortunately it settled at such an angle I could still not confirm it as my Green Hairstreak :lol: I returned into the reserve and although there is no path in this area I made my way to the large swathe of Garlic Mustard. A Holly Blue flew past (a species I have not encountered here before) Plenty of Orange Tips including good numbers of females a couple of which I saw being pestered by an amorous Green Veined White. Then yet another small dark butterfly (the same as the others)fluttered around me and settled on a Garlic Mustard flower right in front of me. At last my Green Hairstreak had arrived :D :D
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Having confirmed this one then the other two I had seen were most certainly the same species. It gave me plenty of photo opportunity, unlike the Orange Tips :x I do not have a huge amount of experience with this species but maybe higher temps in the middle of the day are necessary to get this species into action. A little further on I found another one 'on Hawthorn at head height' as expected. My day was now complete but to be honest I did not want to leave and could have stayed there all day. I had one last look around and spotted one rather worn Small Tortoiseshell at which point it had become distinctly cooler and cloudier. On returning to the 'Duke area' there strangely did not seem to be any around at all now :?

My total species for the year is now 12. I now can not wait till next week and perhaps find some Common Blues. My species tally for this site is now up to 25 with some notable exceptions. I have yet to see Comma or Small Copper at this site and I feel it could easily yield a few more yet.

Total Count for the day:
Orange Tip 14 (6 female & 8 male)
Peacock 7
Dingy Skipper 10
Duke of Burgundy 4
Grizzled Skipper 7
Brimstone 20 (9 female & 11 male)
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Green Veined White 1
Green Hairstreak 4
Holly Blue 2

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 11.5.2014 Stephens Castle Down

I could not resist the temptation to visit this site again for the fourth weekend in a row :D Although I was a little restricted on time, I was hoping for my first Common Blues of the year as well as an increase in Duke of Burgundy numbers from last week. To be honest the weather conditions were not ideal with a strong gusty wind and lots of cloud mixed in with some sunny spells. I was not at all confident that there would be much to see. I gave myself an hour :wink:
The sheltered area where all of todays activity was taking place
The sheltered area where all of todays activity was taking place
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Thankfully in the sheltered hollow in the middle of this site there was plenty of butterfly activity to see. The Dingy Skippers were out in force and did not seem to be too affected by the gusts of wind. The Dukes on the contrary seemed to spend most of their time on the ground making a count quite difficult. I could only confidently say I saw 3 or 4 males but there could equally have been quite a few more than that. I had not really been sure previously of distinguishing between male and female of this species :? However, I was pleased today to see what was obviously a female. The slightly larger size, less active nature and nice plump body being a dead giveaway. The Green Hairstreaks were very active today and in good numbers. I only checked a small area but there seemed to be at least 2 chasing each other around every suitable Hawthorn bush. They were a joy to behold :D , I was quite surprised at the difference in colouration, some being quite golden :D
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Burgundy
DSCN9399 - Copy.JPG
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
One noticeable absentee from my previous visits to this site has been the Small Copper. Today I added Small Copper to the list with just one seen, my first of the year :D Then I spotted a flutter of blue, a beautifully fresh Common Blue, also my first of the year :D I watched this individual cavorting with the Dukes, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers for a while before another appeared. Then I spotted a female and then what I at first thought was another male. In fact this was the most beautiful, fresh, 'blue' female. My pictures do not really do justice to just how stunning this butterfly was. This one made my day :D
My first Small Copper of the year
My first Small Copper of the year
My first Common Blue of the year
My first Common Blue of the year
DSCN9430 - Copy.JPG
The most beautiful 'blue' female Common Blue
The most beautiful 'blue' female Common Blue
Grizzled Skippers, Brimstones and a solitary male Orange Tip rounded off the days tally. I had managed to stretch my hour to nearly two :shock:

This brings my species count for the year to 14 :D

Total count for the day:
Grizzled Skipper 6
Dingy Skipper 15
Common Blue 5 (3 male & 2 female)
Small Copper 1
Green Hairstreak 10
Brimstone 17 (12 male & 5 female)
Orange Tip 1 male
Duke of Burgundy 4 (3 male & 1 female)

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 10.5.2014 - Tuesday 13.5.2014 Speckled Wood Larva

My single Speckled Wood larva is now 9 days old and has taken on a green colour as well as putting on a bit of weight. After offering both Cocks Foot and Couch Grass it seems to have a preference for the later despite Cocks Foot being its primary foodplant. In fact it has not touched any Cocks Foot at all as far as I can tell.
6 day old Speckled Wood larva 10.5.2014
6 day old Speckled Wood larva 10.5.2014
9 day old (4-5mm long) Speckled Wood larva 13.5.2014
9 day old (4-5mm long) Speckled Wood larva 13.5.2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports and shots from Stephen's Down - especially like the Small Copper. Which part of Hampshire is Stephen's Down in I'm trying towork out where it's near? Love the Specklie cat :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Thanks for your comments :D Stephens Castle Down is about 10km southwest of Winchester near Corhampton Golf Club. If you want more detailed directions then PM me :D

Sorry :oops: that should be South East of Winchester :D
Last edited by Paul Harfield on Fri May 16, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Hi Paul,

the little site (which I think you know about), adjacent to Stockbridge Down, has been productive over the past 2 weeks for Dukes. I've even seen a couple of PBF - first time ever, there!

Jon

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

jonhd wrote:Hi Paul,

the little site (which I think you know about), adjacent to Stockbridge Down, has been productive over the past 2 weeks for Dukes. I've even seen a couple of PBF - first time ever, there!

Jon
Hi Jon

I do not know this site, maybe you could give me a grid reference :?: PM me if necessary

Thursday 15.5.2014 - Friday 16.5.2014 Speckled Wood Larva

Yesterday I noticed that my Speckled Wood larva had taken on that distinctive 'hunchback appearance' indicating an imminent skin change. When I returned home form work today my 1st instar larva had become a 2nd instar larva. The larval head losing its shiny, black appearance and taking on the same green colouration as the rest of the body. The body itself has now developed a more stripy pattern. The larva is still only 4-5mm long but I expect it to develop quite rapidly now :D
11 day old Speckled Wood larva just before shedding its skin 15.5.2014
11 day old Speckled Wood larva just before shedding its skin 15.5.2014
12 day old (2nd instar) Speckled Wood larva shortly after shedding its skin 16.5.2014
12 day old (2nd instar) Speckled Wood larva shortly after shedding its skin 16.5.2014
DSCN9547 - Copy.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice to see the Specklies coming on Jack :D Thanks for the info about Stephens Castle I'll dig out my map, it'll be worth a visit next year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 10.5.2014 - Tuesday 20.5.2014 Purple Hairstreak Larva

I have not reported much of late on the goings on with my single remaining Purple Hairstreak larva. Other personal diaries have shown larvae having already apparently gone through the pupal and emergence stage to produce adult butterflies, I did not feel I had much to add. My larva is hopefully more in tune with wild population :D
The last proper view of my Purlple Hairstreak larva 10.5.2014
The last proper view of my Purlple Hairstreak larva 10.5.2014
the larva spent most of its time during the day under the shrivelled leaf in the centre of this picture before it disappeared 11.5.2014
the larva spent most of its time during the day under the shrivelled leaf in the centre of this picture before it disappeared 11.5.2014
On the 11.5.2014, after my larva has spent all of its life living on cut Oak twigs in water, I thought I should think about providing some environment for pupation. Having not reared this species before and having no idea how large the larva would get I thought I can not leave it any longer.
Freshly prepared arrangement to allow for pupation 11.5.2014
Freshly prepared arrangement to allow for pupation 11.5.2014
My home made Purple Hairstreak rearing enclosure 11.5.2014
My home made Purple Hairstreak rearing enclosure 11.5.2014
I am not sure how others have achieved this, but I chose to immerse my water container (a small narrow necked bottle) in a pot of compost and leaf litter. I sealed the aperture (flush with the surface of the compost) with tightly packed cotton wool around the cut Oak stem. For a couple of days the larva seemed to choose the same spot to hide during the day (very well hidden), in amongst the drying leaves of the old previous Oak stem tied to the fresh Oak stem. After that the larva which had previously been very difficult to find, suddenly became impossible to find :o :o I spent 2 days searching every millimetre of the Oak stem, sure that it was not yet large enough to pupate. Eventually on 17.5.2014 I gave up searching the foliage and had a rummage in the leaf litter. Sure enough there it was, not yet a pupae but close to it, under a twig and thin layer of loose compost. Finally today 20.5.2014 I noticed that the larval skin had been shed. That is 41 days as a larva. Thankfully I only just got the enclosure suitable for pupation in time, if I had left it a couple more days the larva would probably have crawled down into the water and drowned :? I now patiently await the emergence of the adult, which will hopefully be successful, as I have never seen the adult of this species before.
Purple Hairstreak larva ready to pupate under a thin layer of compost and leaf litter 17.5.2014
Purple Hairstreak larva ready to pupate under a thin layer of compost and leaf litter 17.5.2014
The final larval skin was shed sometime in the last 24hrs 20.5.2014
The final larval skin was shed sometime in the last 24hrs 20.5.2014

Saturday 17.5.2014 - Tuesday 20.5.2014 Speckled Wood Larva

My Speckled Wood larva seems to be developing very rapidly :D Tonight I noticed that it has developed the distinctive 'hunchback' appearance again indicating an imminent skin change. That is just 5 days as a 2nd instar larva. As I write this the larva is perched on a blade of Couch Grass beside me just in case I can catch it 'mid shed' :D
13 day old 2nd instar Speckled Wood larva 17.5.2014
13 day old 2nd instar Speckled Wood larva 17.5.2014
16 day old (8mm) 2nd instar Speckled Wood larva Imminently about to shed its skin 20.5.2014
16 day old (8mm) 2nd instar Speckled Wood larva Imminently about to shed its skin 20.5.2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fascinating phots Jack :mrgreen: . The colour changes of the larva to pupa are great and the 'hunchback' Specklie cat is a funny looking thing :D Looking forward to the final emergence.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 18.5.2014 Meon Valley Trail & Knowle Village

The weather forecast was particularly encouraging with warm unbroken sunshine all day :D Whenever my brother is over in the UK we try and meet up for a walk, today was such a day. The first half of our walk began at Wickham, we walked the course of the old railway line to its conclusion at knowle. The reality was that although it seemed like perfect butterfly weather there were disappointingly few butterflies around, at least in this particular location :( The Meon Valley Trail terminates in a dead end at Knowle Village, but we managed to find a route across river and field to rejoin the footpaths around Knowle Village. At one point we found ourselves inside a locked compound with a high fence, locked gates and security cameras. Luckily the gates had enough gap at the bottom for us to shuffle underneath :shock: :? :lol: Half a dozen speckled Wood, a couple of Brimstone and a few unidentified whites was all there was to be seen. However, we did see large numbers of Beautiful Demoiselle perhaps as many as 50 in a couple of different locations as well as few Banded Demoiselle.
Beautiful Demoiselle - one of many seen
Beautiful Demoiselle - one of many seen
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
Well developed Red Admiral larva
Well developed Red Admiral larva
We stopped for lunch at Knowle Village and started the second half of our walk which was more productive. This was an opportunity to revisit the area which I visited back in mid April when Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock were prominent. Today I was pleased to find several Small Tortoiseshell larval webs at various stages of development as well as one very worn Small Tortoiseshell 'hanging on'. We also located at least two well developed Red Admiral larvae. There were also several peacocks fluttering around the nettles. As well as occupied larval webs I also noticed quite a few vacant larval webs with no larvae evident in close proximity. I hope this is not a sign that too many have been predated.
Small Tortoiseshell larvae
Small Tortoiseshell larvae
DSCN9587 - Copy.JPG
Small Tortoiseshell larvae with a possible predator lurking nearby
Small Tortoiseshell larvae with a possible predator lurking nearby

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Paul,
Glad your Purple Hairstreak larva has now pupated, we have adults emerging, and we will be releasing some tomorrow where we found them, hope the weather report is wrong.
I think your arrangement for pupation was fine, ours were on Oak twigs in small bottles standing in an old washing up bowl with a layer of sphagnum moss in the bottom. The larvae spent all their time in view on the Oak but fed mainly at night. When they were ready they walked down the bottles and pupated in the moss, none went walkabout! Its been a great experience but we would keep them in the fridge for longer next time, now we know how long it takes from the eggs hatching to adult butterflies emerging.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”