Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Pauline,

This is a difficult situation, but in the circumstances the best way of providing nourishment for butterflies of this type is to spray or dab some sugar solution onto the leaves of the plant. Alternatively, place a ball of cotton wool soaked in sugar solution in their flight cage. They will take what they need.

Vince

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

No criticism intended, Pauline. I really enjoyed your photos and if I had the patience would love to try breeding myself,

It was a light-hearted comment on how different it was, seeing Black Hairstreaks in this context.

in fact, they do occasionally visit flowers, as my photo, taken at Asham Meads, on Otmoor, demonstrates, so I'm sure yours was enjoying the experience :)
Asham Meads, Oxon - 24th June 2006
Asham Meads, Oxon - 24th June 2006
Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Indeed - as well as Honeydew, they do enjoy Bramble flowers and, especially, Privet flowers. Unfortunately, I don't think either is in bloom at this time of year.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Apologies again Mike, I was being overly sensitive due to a difficult week. I have tried those methods Vince and the butterflies seem determined to ignore any sustenance unless I actually coax them away from the net cage and onto the branches. Ah well, it will all soon be over.

Back in the real world I got the chance to nip out to Paulsgrove and I jumped at it. This site is certainly growing on me despite the unfortunate incidents I experienced during a very early visit. It is a cracking little venue teeming with butterflies and I found myself tripping over Small Blues in various states of wear. They're a noisy lot down there with dogs barking, folk shouting and banging, loud music ... but you get used to it :lol: . It was too hot to attempt many shots as the butterflies were very active and I only took a couple of Small Blue in action:
P1300075ad.jpg
There were a good number of Common Blue frequently seen squabbling with the little'uns but of more interest to me was the Green Hairstreaks. I saw 4 in total and they were all showing signs of wear and tear. There was so much gorse and bramble that this was taken without the close-up lens and at maximum zoom so it has been heavily cropped. I just thought the green and blue looked good together :lol: :
P1300077ad.jpg
There were a couple of Green Hairstreaks egg-laying
P1300078ad.jpg
P1300079ad.jpg
and this time there were no interruptions as I checked for eggs, the first ones I have ever seen:
P1300117ad.jpg
P1300139ad.jpg
Once back home I decided to check the Orange Tip eggs but more of that later.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It seems like a long time ago now but at the beginning of May I noticed that an Orange Tip had laid 2 white eggs on a particular Garlic Mustard plant.
P1270504d.jpg
I resolved to check them regularly but it must have been about a week later before I got round to looking by which time the eggs had turned orange and I was surprised to see that there were another 6 orange eggs on the same plant which presumably I hadn't noticed.
P1280388d.jpg
Another few days passed and when I next checked the plant there was an egg on the underside of the leaf which because of the position and the fact it has not changed colour I am assuming it is a GVW - quite a prolific little plant.
P1290527d.jpg
I was determined to let these eggs take their chance despite Mike warning me that they would probably be predated. I have also had quite a bit to deal with so did not check the eggs again until this afternoon. With mixed feelings I was able to detect 3 cats - delighted to see them but that meant 5 had been predated. It appeared that these 3 were to be next as I watched the spider take a predatory stance as the cats got closer:
P1300196ad.jpg
I attempted to knock the spider off and dismantled the web. I hope I succeeded as I didn't see where he went and I have now wrapped the plant in net. Another first for me as I have never seen these cats before and they seem quite cute. I tried to take a few photos (hand held) but the breeze was blowing the plant. A couple below just for the record but it would be nice to get some better ones when time allows (if they do not provide something with an easy meal).
P1300200ad.jpg
P1300183ad.jpg

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Pauline,

Orange-tip larvae are cannibalistic so this might be the reason for losing some of the cats. It would be best to separate them if possible (e.g. use a fine brush to transfer some to their own plant, so long as they're not undergoing a moult).

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Pauline :D Thanks for supplying me with the page number I went back and read it so now I know :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

When I read your advice Pete my first thought was 'Oh, no! here we go again, more work, more worry'. :lol: Don't know why I didn't think it could be cannibalism and my intention this morning was to do exactly as you advised. However, I looked around the garden and on some potted Garlic Mustard there were a few cats on different plants so I have just bunged them all in the net cage, out of the reach of the wild birds and the hens and I'm afraid it will have to be survival of the fittest as I just can't do it any more.

Sorry if I've been grumpy this week Wurzel - a lot on but I appreciate your comment.

I was able to get up to Wrecclesham for a short time today - not much going on there but I took a few photos:
P1300365ad.jpg
I'm not really sure what any of these are specifically but I guess this is some sort of Demoiselle .... and this is some sort of spider :lol:
P1290970ad.jpg
It is a pity that this Dragonfly was a bit worse for wear. I had never appreciated what magnificent hunters they are but it was quite a revelation watching it and I shall take more notice in future:
P1300342ad.jpg
I did manage to get a photo of a Speckled Wood which I don't think I have posted yet this season but neither it, nor I, could get rid of the pesky flies:
P1300349ad.jpg
On the way back I decided to call in at the Straits and check up on Andy's White Admiral larva. After 'my' larva 'disappeared', along with its branch he was kind enough to take me to where he had found 2 others - except one of them was missing! We found the other though and carefully marked the exact spot in a way that no-one would ever notice. Sadly, today the cat was no longer there :( . Like before I spent a good 20 minutes searching the location without success. I couldn't even find the half eaten leaf we had photographed him on. I suspect that's because it wasn't there. I knew exactly which branch he had been on - it was only 2 days ago we were there - and I noticed that all the Honeysuckle leaves seem to grow in pairs, except for the branch where he had been where a leaf had obviously been nipped off :shock: I so hope I am wrong!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

This morning I am posting my last set of Black Hairstreak photos (unless something remarkable happens like a mating pair!). There are still some left to emerge but I am running out of plants to photograph them with :lol:. The grey and green backgrounds are the moss covered trunks of my massive Oak trees.
P1300236ad.jpg
P1300243ad.jpg
P1300256a.jpg
P1300286ad.jpg
P1300294ad.jpg
P1300302ad.jpg
P1300317ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, it WAS going to be my last BH post but with a few butterflies emerging this morning I managed to capture some interesting images. The following is a combination of 2 separate events as I was not quite ready for the first one - it was a case of grab the camera and with shaking hands try to get a few images that weren't blurred. I hope you find them as interesting as i did:
P1300499ad.jpg
P1300403ad.jpg
P1300410ad.jpg
P1300423ad.jpg
P1300426ad.jpg
P1300432ad.jpg
P1300436ad.jpg
P1300441ad.jpg
P1300447ad.jpg
P1300453ad.jpg
P1300514ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

You certainly hit the jackpot there, Pauline.

Stunning images.

ABerryman

Post by ABerryman »

What a great set of images, Pauline. Fascinating to see the sequence of emergence like that, something that would be almost impossible in the wild!

Alex

millerd

Post by millerd »

Extraordinary. Quite beautiful. And a tantalising glimpse of the orange spots on the upperside that you would otherwise never see!

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning sequence Pauline :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

That wing-inflation sequence is wonderful - puts these amazing creatures in a new light for me :D

Mike

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hey Pauline. Great stuff. How long did it take from breaking out to wings fully formed?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great Photo's Pauline :mrgreen: I really enjoy your posting's , keep them coming Goldie :D

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wonderful stuff, Pauline! As usual, your photos and reports are stunning.

You mention 3 OT cats in an earlier post but I can see 4, so you may just have an extra one :D

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments. Your eyes are better than mine Lee cos try as I might I can't spot no. 4. It is all remarkably fast Bob which I suppose makes sense as during this period the butterfly is in a very vulnerable position. It was out of the pupa in a heartbeat and then it took 7 minutes for the wings to be fully operational.

Now in December Philip warned me that, at 19 years of age, my cat was on borrowed time. Well, yesterday that time ran out. My brave little cat, my constant companion and best buddy lost her battle. I am sure there are many on this site who know exactly how I feel about this very special animal who never, ever hurt another creature and was totally trustworthy:
DSC02179d.JPG
I shall move swiftly on to the butterflies which are proving to be the distraction that I now need. It is with joy that I can report that I have now found something that the BH will happily nectar on - the wild roses growing in my garden. It is now a pleasure to watch them looking so natural and contented as they explore the plant. After the heavy rain last night I was dismayed to find one floating on a puddle at the base of the cage but I was able to rescue him and it would seem that no harm has been done. I shall know for sure when he dries out. I am indulging myself with a few more shots but I can assure that these really are the last :lol:
P1300537ad.jpg
P1300566ad.jpg
P1300571ad.jpg
P1300578ad.jpg
The latest arrival.
P1300607ad.jpg
P1300609ad.jpg
P1300620ad.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Pauline, what sad news, Stanleigh was a beautiful, calm and obviously much treasured member of your family, as all pets are to their owners. We are so sorry to hear of your loss, but we can only add that you can at least gain some comfort in the knowledge that you did your utmost to make her final months the most comfortable and rewarding, and at 19 years old she had a good long life in which she gave you many treasured memories we're sure. Cathy remembers well how Stanleigh gave her the privilege of a few moments curled on her lap at your home, which I think you said was unusual for her to do with strangers. Anyway, we will be amongst those who remember her and were witness to how well you looked after her in her state of ill health, particularly trying to get her to eat, offering a myriad of different tasty morsels.
On a brighter note, your pictures of the Black Hairstreaks on the garden roses are stunning :mrgreen:
Mike and Cathy x

Return to “Personal Diaries”