Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Heyshott

Post by Katrina »

I went back to Heyshott today following Neil's report of increasing numbers of Dukes. I was surprised to have the place to myself.There were indeed a lot more Dukes. I stayed for about 2 hours and found 15 Duke of Burgundys, 4 Brimstones, 1 Green-Veined White, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Grizzled Skipper,1 Orange-Tip 4 whites that weren't stopping for an ID and lost count of the Dingy Skippers. No sign of the PBF.
Attachments
DSC00665.JPG
DSC00696.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Re: Katrina

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wow. Lovely Duchess!
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking Duchess indeed Katrina :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Slow-worm and Twists and Turns

Post by Katrina »

At midday today I visited Mill Hill. The weather was cloudy and windy with occasional glimpses of sun. I was looking for the Walls, Small Heaths and Blues. I quickly spotted a Wall flying past which landed. When I tried to take a photo it flew off again and then started chasing a Small Heath! Sadly while trying to keep an eye on where both were landing I lost both for a while. I found the Wall twice more and on the first of these occasions it disturbed an Adonis Blue and the second a Green Hairstreak, again giving me choices about which to keep an eye on. So I saw my first Wall, Small Heath and Adonis Blue of the year. Final count was 1 Speckled Wood, 1 Wall, 1 Small Heath, 1 Brimstone,1 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Adonis Blues, 1 Grizzled Skipper, 3 Green Hairstreaks and about 10 Dingy Skippers. While leaving I came across a lifetime first slow-worm which was on the path. It was moving at all so I nudged it to make sure it was alive (it was). After never having seen any before I had to step over this one to get back to the car. I suppose that is part of the excitement of wildlife watching - you never know what you will come across.
Attachments
DSC00702.JPG
DSC00715.JPG
DSC00744.JPG
DSC00750.JPG
DSC00753.JPG
DSC00764.JPG

Katrina

Windy Weather

Post by Katrina »

This afternoon I went to Kithurst Hill. I saw 3 Dukes, 2 Dingy Skippers and a dragonfly. I was going to leave when I met Mark and Susie so decided to stay for a while. Another man kindly pointed out a roosting Brown Argus to us. I stopped at Mill Hill on the way back and found 2 Adonis Blues (I think - had to check in the book re ID with closed wings) and 5 Dingy Skippers.
Attachments
DSC00879.JPG
DSC00871.JPG
DSC00915.JPG
DSC00923.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

Adonis! Oooh, lucky you! :) nice pics. Do you know what the dragonfly was? I saw it too but couldn't geta pic and it wasn't one I recognised I should go and look it up!).

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Katrina and Susie,
The dragonfly was almost certainly a Hairy Dragonfly, of which there are at least two males hawking over the site at present. More exciting species do occur here from time to time, including Clubtail and Scarce Chaser in recent years.
BWs, Neil

Katrina

Dragonfly

Post by Katrina »

Was just about to post I didn't know what dragonfly but Neil has given us an answer. Did get a picture though.
Attachments
DSC00841.JPG

Katrina

Hairs On Hairy Dragonfly

Post by Katrina »

cropped photo
Attachments
DSC00842.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

Yep, that's the chap! Excellent. Well done Katrina :) and thank you Neil.

Katrina

Thank you

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Susie for asking - I probably wouldn't have got round to looking it up and thanks Neil for supplying the ID!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the Dingy shot :D I like reading your posts as it alerts me to what to look out for in a week or two's time Katrina, for instance your Common Blue looks quite worn and 'aged' and I can't recall seeing any reports of them quite in Wiltshire :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'll second that, the Dingy shot is great, It's also one BF I don't seem to be able to catch a good shot of Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you for the positive feedback. I liked it a lot but wondered how I didn't manage to get the very top of the plant in the photo.

Katrina

Pulborough Brooks

Post by Katrina »

I went for a walk round Pulborough Brooks today. I chose the wrong half of the day to go out as it seemed to brighten up just as I was leaving. I saw only one butterfly, a Green-Veined White. It was, however, a pleasure to focus on this butterfly that I often overlook if there are other species around.
Attachments
DSC01020 - Version 3.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Well worth it Katrina - cracking GVW photo!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Katrina

Glorious Day with Sunshine and Small Blues

Post by Katrina »

I went to Kithurst this morning and was joined by a friend. I saw 4 Duke of Burgundys, 2 Small Blues, one Orange Tip, one Green-Veined White, 2 Brimstones and several Dingy Skippers. We then went to Pulborough Brooks and saw one Speckled Wood, one Peacock and 3 Brimstones. The weather was so good I went back to Kithurst in the afternoon and saw one further Duke of Burgundy, 3 Small Blues, one Common Blue, one Red Admiral , one Green Hairstreak, one Grizzled Skipper, one Small Heath and several Dingy Skippers. Thanks to my friend for finding the last Duke - is it a Duchess? I couldn't believe my luck when one Small Blue decided to have a nap on a cowslip allowing plenty of time for photos.
Attachments
DSC01103.JPG
DSC01107.JPG
DSC01156.JPG
DSC01183.JPG
DSC01187.JPG
DSC01324.jpg
DSC01324 - Version 2.jpg
DSC01347.JPG
DSC01348.JPG
DSC01350 - Version 2.jpg
DSC01352 - Version 2.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Katrina,
Katrina wrote:Thanks to my friend for finding the last Duke - is it a Duchess?
She sure is ...

Kind regards. Mark

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Mark

William

Post by William »

Cracking shots of the Small Blues Katrina, and that Green Hairstreak seems to be egg-laying :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”