Chequered Skippers at Glasdrum Wood 31st May & 1st June 2014

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
ScottD

Chequered Skippers at Glasdrum Wood 31st May & 1st June 2014

Post by ScottD »

If you are thinking of coming up to see CS this year Scottish Natural Heritage have asked if Butterfly Conservation Scotland could hold another event at Glasdrum so we shall be over 31st May & 1st June.
If you are around love to see you & have a chat.
Details tba when SNH finalise their arrangements.

The Pearl-bordered Frits may be over by then but Small Pearl-bordered Frits should be abundant as well & there are Marsh Frits nearby too.
jasonbirder

Re: Chequered Skippers at Glasdrum Wood 31st May & 1st June

Post by jasonbirder »

If the weather is favourable...they're the two dates I have pencilled in for my Chequered Skipper "Twitch"
Will be good if there are other people about to say hello to!
David M

Post by David M »

jasonbirder wrote:If the weather is favourable...
That's always the principle concern...

I'd love to go up there as it's the last British species I've still not seen, but it's a hell of a trek only to encounter wind, rain and no butterflies!
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

And the problem is it can change so quickly up there...even when the forecast is awful...a break in the weather can bring bright sunshine and clear blue skies in the weather...and vis-versa...
Difficult to judge from the forecast days in advance...
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

David M wrote:
jasonbirder wrote:If the weather is favourable...
That's always the principle concern...

I'd love to go up there as it's the last British species I've still not seen
What about that cryptic Irish species David :?:

Bill :wink:

"When in doubt...venture out"
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote:
What about that cryptic Irish species David
That'll have to wait for another day, Bill.

In fact, I'd really like to know how a species such as this has colonised Ireland and NOT the UK.

I find it really strange given that much of UK butterfly distribution can be explained via reference to the last Ice Age.

This one remains an anomaly in my mind.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

David M wrote:
Willrow wrote:

In fact, I'd really like to know how a species such as this has colonised Ireland and NOT the UK.

I find it really strange given that much of UK butterfly distribution can be explained via reference to the last Ice Age.

Off-topic now, for the thread title, but historically (according to Dinca et al, 2011), juvernica was the original species for most of temperate Europe and sinapis/reali were restricted to south-western Europe (see http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/15889380/2 ... ernica.pdf). Sinapis then expanded its range into the former territory of juvernica. Given that southern Ireland was not widely glaciated during the last glacial period (this is from Wikipedia, I'm afraid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Www.w ... ce_age.gif) is it possible juvernica is a relic in Ireland and sinapis the more recent interloper?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds plausible, Guy, but there are many other questions to be answered.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote: ... I'd love to go up there as it's the last British species I've still not seen, but it's a hell of a trek only to encounter wind, rain and no butterflies!
You'll have to bite the bullet sometime if you want to complete your list. I was lucky and had a week of glorious sunshine back in 2007. You might be lucky too :)

Mike
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi David,
I had 10 glorious days in the Glasdrum area at the end of May 2012, temp. up to 27c, no rain and just before the man-eating midges come out :lol:
Get up there David.

Cheers Russ.
David M

Post by David M »

LancsRover wrote:Hi David,
I had 10 glorious days in the Glasdrum area at the end of May 2012, temp. up to 27c, no rain and just before the man-eating midges come out :lol:
Get up there David.

Cheers Russ.
I remember that hot spell, Russ, and if there's another this year then I'd definitely venture up.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:if there's another [hot spell] this year then I'd definitely venture up.
If you go, don't limit yourself to Glasdrum, which I don't find a particularly attractive site.

My favourite area for seeing CS is Ariundle NNR, near Strontian on Loch Sunart - a wonderful Atlantic oak forest, dripping with epiphytes, ferns, etc. Continue west on the A861 to the coast near Glenuig, for magnificent views to the Islands.

There are plenty of other excellent sites in the area around Fort William, so plan a tour around while you're there.

Mike
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Take it steady on us Mike :roll: your causing itchy feet syndrome :lol:
David M wrote:
Willrow wrote:

Ireland itself is quite a natural history anomaly David, no snakes, and the Irish Stoat is a sub-species that probably survived the last ice age, but is also found on the Isle of Man :!: which causes even more confusion, many rural Irish people still refer to the Irish Stoat as Weasel, but Ireland has never had Weasel :shock: :!:

Regards Guy's 'possibility' that juvernica is a relic and sinapis a recent interloper, well that is a very feasible 'possibility'...I like a bit of thinking 'out of the square'...so good on you Guy :wink:

Finally David, when you do get to Ireland to officially complete your species list, don't forget to take your do-it-yourself dissection kit :shock: ouch...or you will forever be wondering if you did really see juvernica and not just sinapis.

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote: Ireland itself is quite a natural history anomaly David, no snakes....
The absence of things in Ireland doesn't present me with a dilemma, Bill; it's the presence of creatures that don't occur on the British mainland that causes me to think.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Now you're giving me itchy feet, Willrow, with all that about Ireland. I've not 'got' Cryptic WW either, though with my weak recognition skills, I doubt I could identify it :)

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:Now you're giving me itchy feet, Willrow, with all that about Ireland. I've not 'got' Cryptic WW either, though with my weak recognition skills, I doubt I could identify it :)

Mike
Habitat is the giveaway, Mike. If it's flying in open areas then it's almost certainly not sinapis
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

SNH have been faffing around a bit - this is the current proposal but not yet finalised.

"Re: “Butterflies and More” Glasdrum 30 and 31 May 2014.

With reference to the week end at the end of May, herewith the proposed final programme program. The Appin Hall is available on Friday night and I have booked it.

Butterflies and More- Glasdrum National Nature Reserve 30 – 31 May 2014

Friday 30 May 2014: 19:00 – 20:00 :Talk on Butterflies and month (Butterfly conservation & Richard Kilpatrick Chequered Skipper)
20:00 – 20:15 : Tea
20:15 - 20:45 : Stuart Findlay Glen Creran and Forestry
21:00 – 21:30 : Talk on bats (Alan M – standard Bat Conservation Trust presentation, if I can get a copy).
21: 30 - : Leave for Glsadrum. Set moth traps. Bat evening along the shores of Creran Loch and at the Lime Kilm.

Saturday 31 May 2014: 10:00 – 11:00: Meet at Glasdrum car park. Coffee and empty moth traps.
11:00 – 12:30: Walk lower rides looking at habitats, butterflies and been taught how to asses habitats.
12:30- 13:30: Forestry Site Visit
13:30 – 14:00: Lunch (Bring your own packed lunch)
14:00 – 16:30: Higher altitude butterfly walk and habitat assessment. (Richard Kilpatrick)

Sunday 1 June 2014: In reserve in case rain stops play on Saturday: Schedule, time and programmes to be finalized on the Saturday afternoon. "

If Saturday goes off well we can provide you with a list for Sunday of grid squares that we would like checked/re-checked for CS this year.
Or there are decent sites for Marsh Fritillary, Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth etc. in the area for you to enjoy along with the scenery.

The press have been saying that it's going to be a bad summer for ticks & this is known to be a bad area for them (plenty of sheep & deer) with Lyme disease present so please take appropriate precautions.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Final version is in.

"“Butterflies and More” Appin Village Hall & Glasdrum NNR
30 and 31 May 2014.

The Appin Hall - Friday night - .19:00 – 21:15

Butterflies and More- Glasdrum National Nature Reserve 30 – 31 May 2014

Friday 30 May 2014: 19:00 –20:00 : Talk on Butterflies and moths.
20:00 – 20:30 : Tea
20:30 – 21:15 : Talk on bats (Bat Conservation Trust & SHN)
21:15 : Leave for Glsadrum. Set moth traps. Bat evening along the shores of Creran Loch and at the Lime Kilm.

Saturday 31 May 2014: 9:30 – 1030: Meet at Forestry Elleric Car Park, for an Hour long walk, led by Stuart Findlay, looking at Forestry’s habitat management for butterflies. (Car park at the end of the track at the top end of Glen Creran).

10:30 – 11:30: Return to Glasdrum Car Park empty moth’s traps and coffee.

11:30 – 13:00: Walk lower rides looking at habitats, butterflies and been taught how to asses habitats.

13:00 – 13:45: Lunch (Bring your own packed lunch)

13:45 – 17:00: Higher altitude butterfly walk and habitat assessment.

Sunday 1 June 2014: In reserve in case rain stops play on Saturday: Schedule, time and programmes to be finalized on the Saturday afternoon. "

First CS of the year have been spotted at Glasdrum this week. :D
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

A great day yesterday!
Lots of butterflies, beetles, dragon & damselflies on the wing.
& free tea & biscuits courtesy of SNH. :)
David M

Post by David M »

ScottD wrote:A great day yesterday!
Lots of butterflies, beetles, dragon & damselflies on the wing.
& free tea & biscuits courtesy of SNH. :)
Excellent news, Scott. For once the Argyll weather played ball.

I'm so pleased for everyone up there.

Return to “Field Trips and Events”