Grizzeled skipper site at calypso wrexham industrial estate

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
LCPete

Grizzeled skipper site at calypso wrexham industrial estate

Post by LCPete »

unfortunately its no longer possible to access this site I travelled there this morning and there is high fencing around the site
I thought I would give members the heads up to save a wasted trip
its not good news I'm afraid the council have given the go ahead for a large new prison on the site
butterfly conservation has objected to this but as far s I know its going ahead, am gutted about this I have been going there since 2007
its a real shame as its an excellent site for them
as far as I know its the only site for them in north east wales , if anyone knows of another site please let me know
I have been in contact with north wales BC and they are trying to save the best areas hopefully it will work out ok
maverick

Re: Grizzeled skipper site at calypso wrexham industrial est

Post by maverick »

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of habitat,even though I hope to work at the place in the future
I spend a lot of time in North Wales so I would really be interested in any other sites worth visiting in the local area
Being an Abergele lad myself
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Hi maverick :)
Developments are always difficult as it will bring work to the area but there must be other suitable sites that are not so valuable for butterflies
I ended up going to Eyarth rocks for the Pearl bordered fritillaries they are out at the moment its worth the trip
the details are on the north wales BC site
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

One of only two known Grizzled Skipper colonies in Monmouthshire, South Wales, is on non public access (without special authorisation) Ministry of Defence land and this has proved highly beneficial to the protection of the species. If Butterfly Conservation North Wales Group could negotiate with the proper authorities then similar protection could occur at the Calypso site, indeed the habitat and conservation work involved could prove highly therapeutical for the inmates (and warders!!!) and would also be a real service to our butterflies.

It might take a bit of concerted 'never say die' effort to achieve, but it can be done :wink:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"...but this won't apply for those in nick :(
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
kevling

Post by kevling »

LCPete,

A little south of your ideal area, but Llanymynech Rocks nr Oswestry has Grizzled Skippers. I was last there at the end of May 2013 and saw them.

Kind Regards
Kev
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Thanks Bill hopefully they can be saved at the site
thanks Kev that's great news thanks for the info
I have been to Llanymynech a few years ago I didn't realise that there were Grizzled Skippers there :)
PMHBiota

Post by PMHBiota »

Hi

The main area that supports Grizzled Skipper at this site is to be retained and will be managed for Nature Conservation, for both grizzled skipper and also for great crested newts. I am currently involved on the site and have written the strategy for the grizzled skipper on the site with regards management. This has been prepared in conjunction with BC and also Wrexham Borough Council. Whether there will be open access to parts of the site once the prison development is completed is unlikely (due to the nature of the development).

I can confirm that Grizzled Skippers are flying on the site, and they are also on the wing not far away at Llanymynoch.

Paul
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

what a refreshing reply - good to see that the environment has been taken into account in this development :D
kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Thanks for the reply Paul
That's really good news for the Grizzled skipper I was very concerned but the future for them does now look promising
Pete

Return to “Sites”