Random Stuff

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
55bloke

Random Stuff

Post by 55bloke »

Looking (in awe-struck wonder!) at the stunning images in V6GTO's "Spain" thread sent me scurrying to find some pics I took in the South of France a couple of years ago. The Geranium Bronze pic he posted reminded me that I'd photographed the same species, but had no idea what it was!! I also Googled it, and found out that DEFRA are keeping an eye on it, as it's an African species that's spreading through Europe, and has been reported a few times here in the U.K., and is presumably regarded as a pest by Geranium growers. It's still a cute little blighter though:-
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Having found these pics, I also found some others I took on the same trip. Suffering Butterfly withdrawall symptoms, I thought I may as well post them, despite their not especially great quality.
This, I think, is the Southern, more yellowy, form of the Speckled Wood?
This is the only Clouded Yellow I've EVER seen, photographed on full zoom when it paused VERY briefly to land.
I believe this is a Grayling of some sort?
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Finally, in another thread somewhere ( forget where exactly) I mentioned that I'd spent ages trying to photograph Humming Bird Hawk moths, with very little success. These two are the best I have been able to manage. Taken in Jersey last summer. There must have been a couple of dozen of them zooming back and forth along a high stone wall (possibly slate?) Something about it was proving irresistable to them, but they just would not keep still for more than a fraction of a second at a time!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nice shots 55bloke!

The Speckled Wood is the subspecies "aegeria" (the primary UK subspecies is tircis). This species is quite interesting - the further north you are, the whiter the spots; further south are brown!

Your grayling is a Great Banded Grayling (Brintesia circe).

Cheers,

- Pete
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Thanks for the prompt reply, Pete.

Return to “Overseas”