May 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Ian Pratt

May 2014

Post by Ian Pratt »

Two wall browns seen at Brading Down yesterday.
Ian
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1000034.1.jpg
Ian Pratt

Re: May 2014

Post by Ian Pratt »

Three Glanville fritillaries seen in Bonchurch today. :D Ian
Attachments
04-Pratt-Ian--P1000153.1.jpg
05-Pratt-Ian--P1000157.1.jpg
06-Pratt-Ian--P1000166.1.jpg
07-Pratt-Ian--P1000176.1.jpg
03-Pratt-Ian--P1000133.1.jpg
02-Pratt-Ian--IMG_5209.1.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--IMG_5201.1.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

They're not wasting time guaranteeing the next generation either by the looks of things.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Had a quick trip to Butser hill today and the Dukes are out in force probably 30+ with three females.
Also spotted an unfamiliar larvae if anyone could help with ID please?
Attachments
P1040027.JPG
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think your cat is a drinker moth, Mark.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Ewyas Harold Common, Herefordshire. My second successive Saturday visit just over the border into England for Pearl-bordered Fritillary and what a difference in the weather this Saturday compared to last, I was up to my boot ankles in cloying Herefordshire mud last Saturday and apart from getting rather wet, I was hailed upon :roll: ...forward one week and some nice sunshine and the merest breeze greeted me :) ...much better! This is my nearest colony and last week I was perhaps being overly optimistic, using the emergence of the Devon/Cornwall colonies as a guide, but we're not too far behind those fair counties usually, but the weather put my optimism into perspective :(

Today was another matter, arriving around 11.30 I hit the ground running and had located three P-bF within twenty minutes, surprisingly well away from my usual 'hot-spots', these males were highly active and looked freshly minted!!! Heading to my favoured spots I spent a leisurely couple of hours around the bugle and was rewarded with in excess of 30 individuals, a pleasing count, the best is yet to come (I hope!). One particular male was very pugnacious and highly territorially preventing most of the others from nectaring on his bugle patch, his pearl-border was in a sorry state considering he otherwise looked reasonably fresh.

Other species seen Speckled Wood, Orange-tip, Green-veined & Small White, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock. Among the moths the Brown Silver-line are leaving the bracken in good numbers and several Common Carpet were also disturbed.

I'm constantly on the lookout for Wood White at this location, they have historically been recorded at Ewyas Harold Common, yet in all my many visits over the years I've not had a sniff of one, and I've not spoken to anyone else that has either up to now :shock: I must try to get more information on this.

My last minute decision to revisit the common was well rewarded, my new season mantra... "If in doubt...venture out" :wink:

Bill :D
Attachments
Probably my favourite P-bF portrait of the visit...
Probably my favourite P-bF portrait of the visit...
Spot the ducks head?
Spot the ducks head?
Common Carpet were disturbed from the grasses
Common Carpet were disturbed from the grasses
Closed up on the bracken can make P-bF sometimes tough to locate
Closed up on the bracken can make P-bF sometimes tough to locate
I managed just one shot of this Orange-tip!
I managed just one shot of this Orange-tip!
One of more than 30 individuals counted
One of more than 30 individuals counted
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Willrow wrote:Ewyas Harold Common, Herefordshire. My second successive Saturday visit just over the border into England for Pearl-bordered Fritillary and what a difference in the weather this Saturday compared to last,
Great photos especially undersides of the pearl bordered fritillaries.
Ian
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Thank you Ian we must form a mutual appreciation society cos' I really like your Glanville Fritillary & Wall images too :lol:

Regards,
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote:
I'm constantly on the lookout for Wood White at this location, they have historically been recorded at Ewyas Harold Common, yet in all my many visits over the years I've not had a sniff of one, and I've not spoken to anyone else that has either up to now :shock: I must try to get more information on this.
Like you, Bill, I too have been constantly on the lookout for Wood Whites at this location, but I fear they no longer exist there.

They are mentioned on the information boards, but I have never seen them, along with Green Hairstreak which is also 'purportedly' on the species list.

I'm up in Abergavenny myself tomorrow, and I hope to pay a visit there myself on Bank Holiday Monday if the weather plays ball.

You can always count on PBF and Grizzled Skipper, but my own feelings are that Wood White and Green Hairstreak are absent from this site.
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

May 3rd, BC Prestbury Hill Reserves

I went up to the Prestbury Hill Reserve to look for Dukes, no sign yet. Lots and lots of Green Hairstreaks and a good number of Dingy Skippers. The Cowslips are just amazing this year.

Highlight of the day was spending an hour watching this Brimstone lay her eggs. The egg photo isn't very good, but hey, I was so pleased to find it!

Jo
Attachments
030514-01.jpg
030514-03.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Last Thursday I met someone who lives in Cyprus and who is a butterfly enthusiast. He said the numbers of Painted Ladies there at the moment was absolutely amazing so perhaps we will have an influx? Let's hope so. :D Ian
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Ian Pratt wrote:Last Thursday I met someone who lives in Cyprus and who is a butterfly enthusiast. He said the numbers of Painted Ladies there at the moment was absolutely amazing so perhaps we will have an influx? Let's hope so. :D Ian
I was in Turkey last week and there were a lot of Painted Ladies there too so here's hoping!
David M

Post by David M »

In an hour and a half this morning at Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea, the following species were seen:

Orange Tip 40-60
Green Veined White 30-50
Small Copper 10
Brimstone 5
Peacock 4
Large White 3
Small White 3
Dingy Skipper 2
Small Blue 2
Small Heath 1
Speckled Wood 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
1SmBlueunder1(1).jpg
My first Wall Brown of 2014 spotted in Danygraig Cemetery on my way back along with 4 Holly Blues.
1Wall1(1).jpg
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

High numbers of Small Coppers at Dungeness today
IMG_0186.JPG
And Grizzled Skippers just starting to appear
IMG_0141.JPG
Hoggers
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

David M wrote: You can always count on PBF and Grizzled Skipper, but my own feelings are that Wood White and Green Hairstreak are absent from this site.
Quite probably David, my search yesterday for the latter on the extensive gorse proved negative once again, I cannot believe I've also missed Green Hairstreak on my many visits, yet it does indeed look highly suitable GH type habitat, so I'm at least going to give Butterfly Conservation the benefit of the doubt. Incidentally, I believe that 34 species have been recorded from Ewyas Harold Common, perhaps this sightings post might draw some Herefordshire recorder to put us right on the Wood White & Green Hairstreak matter.

"If in doubt...venture out"
prettybutterfly

Post by prettybutterfly »

Me and my family went to Sutton Heath near Woodbridge today looking for Small Coppers. We found quite a few. Here are some pictures I took, I hope you like them.

We also looked for Wall Browns at Bawdsey, but couldn't find any today.

Emma (Age 9)
Attachments
Small Cooper - Sutton Heath 05.14 (5).JPG
Small Cooper - Sutton Heath 05.14 (7).JPG
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Pearl Bordered beginning to appear in the New Forest now, New Copse had at least half a dozen this morning.
IMG_3386-c-r-f-.jpg
IMG_3407-c-r-f.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

ayjay wrote:Pearl Bordered beginning to appear in the New Forest now, New Copse had at least half a dozen this morning.
IMG_3386-c-r-f-.jpg
IMG_3407-c-r-f.jpg
Great photos -pity there are none on the Isle of Wight.
Ian
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I saw my first Common Blue of the year today :D
Common Blue.JPG
B'saurus
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Saturday May 3rd, visited Prestbury Hill in the afternoon and saw a small number of duke of burgundys all looking very fresh, about six to eight sighted. These were all seen at the bottom of the Bill Smylie field in the stoney, quarried areas close to the gate by the wood that divides the two fields. A good number of green hairstreaks, orangtips and brimstones were seen, as well as a smaller number of speckled woods, peacock, small white, dingy skipper, green veined whites and grass moths.

Return to “Sightings”