Larvae ID Please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
kevling

Larvae ID Please

Post by kevling »

Hi everyone,

I've been doing lots of planting in the garden, in readyness for attracting a host of butterflies to visit (fingers crossed!).
Whilst, diggign I came across a couple of larvae that I'm unable to identify. If anyone can cast an expert eye over them,
I woudl appreciate that.

Additionally i came across a pupa at the bottom of my fence. Now I accept that it doesn't really look like one, but with the
most gentle tap on the fence panel, whatever was inside certainly had a good shake around. What surprised me though is that
I have never seen a photo of a pupa with so much debris/algae attached. This may be because it is deep under a privet hedge.

Sorry that that images don't show without clicking into them. Flickr doesn't seem to want to download for me at the moment.

Regards Kev
Attachments
Larvae.bmp
larvae 1.bmp
pupa.bmp
Essex Bertie

Re: Larvae ID Please

Post by Essex Bertie »

I think the first one is a noctuid, in the Chestnut/Square Spot Rustic/Lunar Yellow Underwing area, but not sure how prone they are to variation.
I think I saw the second one yesterday. I turned it over and it only had the 3 pairs of front legs, so it's not a caterpillar. Possibly a beetle larva?

regards
Essex Bertie

Re: Larvae ID Please

Post by Essex Bertie »

I'll have another crack at this noctuid-

Lesser Yellow Underwing, and The Gothic also has possibilities.

Rob

Return to “Identification”