jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: jackz432r

Post by Maximus »

Hi Jack, you will enjoy seeing the early stages of these butterflies for yourself. We all just do our own thing in our own way and all are equally as good as each other :D look forward to your next instalment :D

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Paul

You're one step ahead of me already as I am planning to take a few of my PH eggs out of the fridge today. I have been holding on simply because the Oaks around here are not at the right stage yet but I am getting so impatient I can't wait much longer :roll: . I agree that the images posted recently have been exceptional and certainly something to strive towards but please keep us informed of any developments from your end.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Close up shots or not still a great report - I'm picking up all kinds of information which I'd like to out into practice one season :D . Good luck with the cats :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline and Mike
Thanks for the encouragement. It is great having several peoples posting about this particular subject and being able to compare notes.

Hi Wurzel
You really should give it a go. Very rewarding and I am sure you will have some willing young helpers :wink:

Sunday 23.3.2014 At Home

Last weekend was a full weekend of football, the first for a long time. And the weather was also football weather, a depressing change from that of the previous weekend. Wind, cold, rain, hail, thunder and lightning were all present at some point over the weekend :( Not much chance time or weather wise for any butterfly watching :(
However there were a few very brief spells of bright sunshine. During one of these spells I thought I should try and get the best image I could of my Purple Hairstreak eggs before they hatch. Bright sunshine is essential for anything close up with my decrepit camera. I think I have probably done the best I can, you can even almost make out the surface texture which is quite a miracle :lol:
DSCN9092 - Copy.JPG
DSCN9098 - Copy.JPG
Since I have brought them out of the fridge the weather has turned cooler. They have had some warmish days and also a couple of very cold nights. No signs of any hatching yet though :(
I think my wife is even happier than me that they are out of the fridge :lol: Hopefully there will be more to report next time.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 29.3.2014

What with mothers day, kids football and my wife recovering from an arthroscopy on her knee, there was not much chance of butterfly watching this weekend :( However, I spent a pleasant couple of hours enjoying the sunshine in my parents garden. A Peacock had taken up residence on the steps for the afternoon :D It vigorously chased off any intruder that got too close, returning to the same spot time after time.
The resident Peacock in my parents garden
The resident Peacock in my parents garden
DSCN9117 - Copy.JPG
My parents have always lived in the same house so their garden is quite mature and it is where I grew up. When visiting, one of the first things I check on is the Tree Of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) I planted many years ago. It is almost like part of the family or a long lost friend :D I bought this from Woolworths when I was about 12 yrs old for £1.99 I think. It was just a 2ft high stick when I planted it and is now a mature 30+ yr old tree. The plan was to use it as food for exotic silkmoth larvae but by the time it was big enough I had moved on to other things. The tree occupies quite a prominent position in the garden but it is not in the best of health, unfortunately :(
My Tree Of Heaven
My Tree Of Heaven
Another Peacock close to home
Another Peacock close to home
Sunday 30.3.2014

During a very quick half hour visit along my local footpath there were still plenty of Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and a Brimstone :D

Still no sign of my Purple Hairstreak eggs hatching :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hope you're wife makes a speedy recovery Jack. Great shots I especially like the first Peacock I love the pose it's making :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Thanks for the comment. She will be back driving in a couple of days hopefully :D This was just an arthroscopy, in a few months a complete knee replacement is on the cards. That will be a whole different ball game :( I will be nursemaid and servant for much longer :roll:

Friday 4.4.2014 Captive Purple Hairstreak

I have been getting slightly envious over the last week or so after seeing the superb pictures and diary of developing larvae from Pauline and Maximus. I was in fact beginning to wonder if mine would actually hatch. When I removed mine from the fridge they went straight outside. For a couple of days I left them in a plastic tub with netting over the top. On one day we had an unexpected downpour and when I returned from work my twigs were floating in water :shock: I was a little concerned that this may have harmed them :? I have continued to keep them outside in the sunniest corner of the garden covered by netting but now attached to suitable Oak twigs in water. Compared to others comments, many of the Oaks near me a well advanced, some already showing leaves and flowers.
DSCN9133 - Copy.JPG
DSCN9137 - Copy.JPG
After what seems a very long wait, I noticed last night that one of my Purple Hairstreak eggs looked a little different. What appeared to be a very small hole had developed in the centre of the egg. After watching through a lens for a while, I could detect no sign of even the smallest movement. Another check this morning revealed a very slightly larger hole but again no sign of any movement. When I got in from work tonight there was an even larger hole and an obviously empty egg shell :D There was no sign of any larva, hopefully he is tucked up nicely in one of the juicy Oak buds close by. A second egg also looks tonight if it is close to hatching.

I think the lateness of my emerging larvae compared to some of the others is probably down to being completely outside and not in a protected environment. I am very surprised at how long the hatching process took ( between 10 and 18 hours! altogether)

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Really good news Paul that your Purple Hairstreak eggs have hatched or are hatching. The hatching process is long winded but at least your eggs will be more in sync with those eggs outside on Oaks. Our eggs and larvae are being reared in a more protected environment, hence their faster development, hopefully this won't prove to be a problem in the long term.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done Paul! :D As Mike points out your larva will have a more natural upbringing. I bet you can't wait to see the larva. Y'know, I had no idea they stayed in the bud for so long and it is a massive surprise when they come out again so much bigger.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mike and Pauline

Thanks for your comments. I only have a couple of eggs to look after. You must both have your work cut out looking after so many :D

Thursday 10.4.2014 Captive Purple Hairstreak

After being very surprised how long my first Purple Hairstreak egg took to hatch, the second one took even longer :o I had noticed last Friday (4.4.2014) a second egg was showing the first signs of hatching, a minute hole appearing in the centre of the egg. After that initial sign the weather took a turn for the worse. Saturday was wet and cool all day as was Sunday and Monday. All through this cool wet few days there was no change in the appearance of this egg. It was almost as if the emerging larva had sensed the rain and decided to stay put. I was slightly concerned that something had gone wrong could the larva drown in its eggshell I wondered. On Wednesday (5 days after seeing the initial signs of hatching) and after a day of sunshine I could detect a slightly larger hole and the shiny black head/mandibles of the emerging larva. On Thursday morning the larva had still not exited the egg. It was not until I had returned from work on Thursday evening that I noticed the egg was at last empty but again no sign of this larva or the first to hatch. So this larva has taken almost 6 days to hatch :!: I can only assume that as my captives are outside in the elements, the larva are able to sense that the conditions are not suitable. I imagine that a raindrop onto an emergent larva is enough to knock it from its branch.
Purple Hairstreak Larva nibbling its way out of the egg
Purple Hairstreak Larva nibbling its way out of the egg
Sunday 13.4.2014 My Local Patch Knowle Village

Yesterday saw a last minute change of plan. My intended visit to my local site, where I found a single Duke of Burgundy last year, will have to wait till next weekend. My brother lives abroad and was home for a few days and this was our only chance to meet up. We decided to go walking in the countryside around Knowle Village which is his base when in the UK. Of course I managed to tie in some butterfly watching as well :wink:
I was hoping for my first Orange Tips and Speckled Wood of the year as well as some whites and possibly a Holly Blue. This area is well within my local patch but an area I have not investigated for butterflies as yet. I was not disappointed. Within 10 minutes of setting off I had already ticked off 2 of my targets with a lovely fresh Green Veined White and several Male Orange Tips as well as yet another good showing of Small Tortoiseshell and a couple of Brimstone :D :D Unfortunately I failed dismally to get any photo at all of either the Orange Tips or Green Veined White. One particular sheltered area of field margin was positively vibrant with butterfly activity. We walked to Wickham and back and returned to this same ‘hotspot’ to spend a little longer admiring the butterfly activity.
Peacock Knowle Village 13.4.2014
Peacock Knowle Village 13.4.2014
DSCN9161 - Copy.JPG
Several Peacock were now present as well as my first Speckled Wood of the year. We were joined there by Mae my 5 year old niece. It was a joy to share with her the sight of Orange Tips, Brimstone, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell putting on a display in this beautifully sheltered spot, beyond which was a magical wood carpeted with Bluebells, Celandine and Wood Anemone. My brother and his family live in Dubai so this is a rare sight for them.
Speckled Wood Knowle Village 13.4.2014
Speckled Wood Knowle Village 13.4.2014
My First Speckled Wood of the year
My First Speckled Wood of the year
I spent 10 minutes off on my own whilst they went off to admire the Bluebells. I found Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell showing signs of egg laying behaviour. Fluttering around low over the nettles settling every now and again. However I did not actually see any eggs being laid. I will definitely revisit this spot as soon as I get the opportunity.

Total count for our 2 hour walk:
Small Tortoiseshell - 9
Brimstone - 5m & 2f
Orange Tip - 5m
Green Veined White - 1
Speckled Wood - 3
Peacock - 6

Meanwhile..........back at home there is still no sign of any of my Purple Hairstreak Larvae :? They surely must show themselves soon.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and shots Jack - especially the second Peacock - that's a cracker :D I'm envious of your Specklies - I've still to see one :mrgreen: God luck with the cats...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Paul. Hope your PH cats show themselves soon - mine have already pupated :shock: . Glad I'm not the only one concerned about my cats :wink:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Pauline & Wurzel

After a difficult week when three quarters of my family (including me) spent all or part of the week in hospital, there have been some highs and lows :D :( A planned stay in hospital for my youngest son accompanied by my wife turned into an unplanned visit to A&E for my wife :( and an unplanned stay in hospital for me :( The Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester has grounds which I am sure contained plenty of butterflies but my son was quite unwilling to investigate, so we saw none there. I did however spot my first Holly Blue of the year on the most brief of ventures outside :D

Friday 18.4.2014 At Home

My son and I returned home on Thursday, leaving Mum in the hospital. Advice for anybody planning to be ill, DO NOT BE ILL ON BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND !!!! :shock: there is no staff. I thought that butterfly watching was going to be completely off the menu for this Bank Holiday weekend, but I was able to make a quick walk up my local footpath to get some fresh air on Friday morning :D Although on the face of it was nice, it was actually quite cool when the sun disappeared behind a cloud and butterfly activity was at a bare minimum.
Speckled Wood  Hedge End 18.4.2014
Speckled Wood Hedge End 18.4.2014
DSCN9177 - Copy.JPG
However, there were several Speckled Wood about and briefly it warmed up enough to encourage a few Small Tortoiseshell and a Peacock to flutter around the local Nettle patch for a while. Later in the afternoon my first garden Speckled Wood caught my eye from the kitchen window. Fluttering around the sunny corner of the garden and basking on the fence. Before I could get a picture it fluttered down on to a clump of grass and deposited an egg :D
Speckled Wood egg laid in the garden
Speckled Wood egg laid in the garden
Speckled Wood is actually the only species that I have found in all stages in the garden. I have found eggs and young larvae on more than one occasion and adults are regular visitors. Early this year whilst clearing up in the garden I found an empty pupa which I believe was A Speckled Wood. I have retrieved this particular egg as the grass upon which it was laid is only a temporary feature. I will rear it through hopefully to adulthood :D

The unexpected visit to hospital was a rush, but I had the foresight to give my Purple Hairstreak larvae some extra food just in case. Unfortunately I did not think to give my plants some water and they suffered quite badly. My Blackthorn Cuttings, Everlasting Pea and Wild Hop have all shrivelled and I think I will have to start again :(

Sunday 20.4.2014 Purple Hairstreak Larvae

On Sunday it rained all day, but I finally got to see one of my Purple Hairstreak larvae for the first time :D I was beginning to wonder if they were still alive. This one was the second one that hatched on the 10th April. I am sure it has been outside of its bud before, I just had not been around at the right time. It is remarkably well camouflaged and is now about 6-7mm long. I still have not seen the first larva to hatch. The only signs of encouragement being the faintest whisps of silk on some of the outer leaves and the odd piece of frass.
First sight of Purple Hairstreak Larva at home
First sight of Purple Hairstreak Larva at home
DSCN9185 - Copy.JPG
I am astonished at the difference a little cosseting makes to development. I know some of the larvae in other diaries (Pauline and Maximus) larvae have already pupated in a protected environment. Mine have been out in the elements, unprotected except for netting.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The camo of that larva is amazing I had to do a triple check before I actually found it. :shock: I hope all of you are recovered or recovering :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am so pleased that your larva has finally showed up Paul - great shots. Keep us informed :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Monday 21.4.2014 Stephens Castle Down

I had planned to go looking for Duke of Burgundy this weekend at my local site where I found one solitary example last year. However, I thought our hospital adventures this week would have put pay to any chance of butterfly watching this weekend. Luckily my wife was feeling well enough to allow me out for a couple of hours :D I was hoping for my first Dingy and Grizzled Skippers of the year as well as confirmation that Duke of Burgundy are resident here and my first Green Hairstreaks of the year. Unusually, my eldest son decided to accompany me as a relief from 'end of school holiday boredom' I imagine.
Female Brimstone
Female Brimstone
We arrived at about 10am a little later than planned. Butterfly activity was' full on' almost as soon as we got out of the car :D A couple of male Orange Tips flew by as well as several female Brimstone actively egg laying on, what seemed, every available shoot. The hedgerow along this road seems to contain almost every shrub known including Buckthorn. Once on the reserve itself Brimstone activity was at a frenzied level which I have not experienced before. Whenever I looked there were always half a dozen in view initially females outnumbering males , for a change. There is a large amount of Buckthorn at this site and it seemed that the females were all at the height of their egglaying at once. Plenty of examples of several Brimstones in an aerial ball and lots of females in full rejection mode, wings open and body upright. It was not long before my first Dingy Skipper of the year flew into view, but it was to be the Grizzled Skippers that were more numerous on the day.
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
DSCN9192 - Copy.JPG
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
For a change the Small Tortoiseshells were not as numerous as of late with only one very worn example seen. There were a few Peacocks around including one very unusual one that had very pale wings margins. Unfortunately today I mismanaged my battery supplies and took 2 sets of almost flat batteries :( :lol: After only a few photos I had exhausted all the batteries I had and no amount re shuffling different combinations of AAs would get my camera into action. We spent a couple of hours here checking every part of the reserve, but found no Dukes or Green Hairstreaks :( Hopefully they are just late at this site, but I will try again next week.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the skippers :D I went looking for Dukes last Friday and didn't have any luck so I think that they're a little later on this side of the country - we seem to be a week or two behind as we haven't the high temps that the South East has had - so I'd definitely try again soon - if you have enough Brownie points banked :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Lovely Grizzlies, Jack! Your photos show just how attractive these Skippers are

Best Wishes

Hoggers

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Paul, glad your Purple Hairstreak larvae have hatched and that you have now seen and photographed them outside the Oak buds, great shots, look forward to your further updates. Also see you are going to rear through the Speckled Wood egg from your garden, should be very interesting. Glad you've seen your first Grizzled and Dingy Skippers, I have yet to see them this year.

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:Lovely Grizzlies, Jack! Your photos show just how attractive these Skippers are
Couldn't agree more.....and the other images are equally noteworthy too!

Return to “Personal Diaries”