Buchan Boy

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Buchan Boy

Re: Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 30th March 2014

A quick trek to see if the Specklies were about in other locations around North-West Crawley,all good.

Coupling up down the Millpond.
Gossops Millpond Speckled Woods
Gossops Millpond Speckled Woods
Down to the Rusper Road Common Land
Rusper Road Speckled Wood
Rusper Road Speckled Wood
Small Tortoiseshells still looking fantastic!
Rusper Road Small Tortoiseshell
Rusper Road Small Tortoiseshell
Peacocks and Brimstones still loitering around......fast,no Whites yet though.

Thanks

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Tuesday 1st April 2014

Seeing butterflies walking home from work,marvelous,x 1 Comma bathing in Goffs Park

Wednesday 2nd April 2014

Even better, photographing butterflies whilst walking home from work, always nice for a normally active weekender only!

First Small White at Broadfield Pond,not photographed,but will do soon.
Broadfield Pond after work Small Tortoiseshell
Broadfield Pond after work Small Tortoiseshell
Broadfield Pond after work Comma
Broadfield Pond after work Comma
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Broadfield Pond ginger one.
Broadfield Pond ginger one.
Pesky humans.....................ruining my kip in the sun......
Broadfield Pond ginger one 2
Broadfield Pond ginger one 2
Thanks

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Saturday 5th April 2014

After washing the Saharan desert off my wife's car,a window of opportunity arose,didnt expect much sun today to be honest.

Noting that plenty of Cuckooflower is now showing I hoped maybe to see my first Orange Tips, alas no success, but managed to see a couple of old friends before moving on.
Broadfield Pond Peacock
Broadfield Pond Peacock
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood
I don't think theres any new emergences since the 5/6 I counted a coupled of weeks ago,seemed about the same,the Specklies that is.

I'd planned to have a look at the consultation for Gatwicks second runway,that was being held at the local arts centre,but the queue put me off.I need to see some proper mapping to see what will become of my Brown/Purple Hairstreak populations on the North Western edge of Crawley.I fear the worst if the expansion gets the go-ahead.But hey,enjoy it whilst we have it!

One population of Hairstreaks that isn't under threat yet is the Rusper Road bunch,I've always struggled with egg hunting,i have no idea why!
Success today.
Rusper Road Hairstreak hatched ovum.
Rusper Road Hairstreak hatched ovum.
Then it rained :(

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Wednesday 9th April 2014

A quick meet up with my old buddy (Pete) down at Broadfield Pond,after work,resulted in a non-successful Orange Tip hunt,but I wasn't surprised due to the time.Did check for roosters on the Cuckoo-flower but no.

We quickly legged it over the Ifield side of the Millpond where some Specklies were worth admiring,checked the big bank of Holly on the railway embankment for Holly Blues but no.........
Ifield Millpond Speckled Wood
Ifield Millpond Speckled Wood
Friday 11th April 2014

Weekend warrior that I am,does,fortunately start at midday on Friday's,so I can get a little afternoon jolly across my North West Crawley Arc,today resulted in 4 firsts for 2014.

Cherry Lane and Willoughby Fields produced some Specklies,the Cuckoo flower patch's are immense and come some sunny spells I'm sure will produce some whites,i will check these out, temperature/sun allowing, later this weekend.

You can never be too far from what might eventually happen to this area.......
The chant has begun.
The chant has begun.
The sun appeared at about 1pm and lifted the temperature a good 5/6 degrees immediately just as I reached the Rusper Road common land.

My first Orange Tip male appeared quickly followed by my first Holly Blue of the year,stood and watched but far too lively to get anywhere near,still some Peacocks hanging around.

I studied the first decent patch of Cuckoo flower,by the church,for half an hour when eventually my first Green-veined White of 2014 came along for a sniff around.
Rusper Road Green-veined White female
Rusper Road Green-veined White female
My first Red Admiral of 2014 was spotted high up on the Blackthorn bloom,still surprised I haven't seen anymore this year so far given how all the other post hibernators have had a right royal party!
Rusper Road Red Admiral
Rusper Road Red Admiral
And then on a decent patch of Mustard Garlic my first photo opportunity for an Orange Tip male,spring truly has sprung.
Rusper Road Orange Tip male
Rusper Road Orange Tip male
Just as I was pondering wandering home for an early dinner a quick reminder of the Small Tortoiseshell empire that ruled a few weeks back,came into view,what a party they had,thanks for the photos!
Rusper Road Small Tortoiseshell all partied out!
Rusper Road Small Tortoiseshell all partied out!
Nice.
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Saturday 12th April 2014

I'm enjoying the Speckled Woods this year,a small unknown population was located in my "island reserve"(road island that is!)up Buchan Park,they were all lying around awaiting the sun to appear at about 10am.

Allow me to indulge.....
Buchan Park Speckled Wood 1
Buchan Park Speckled Wood 1
Buchan Park Speckled Wood 2
Buchan Park Speckled Wood 2
Buchan Park Speckled Wood 3
Buchan Park Speckled Wood 3
I lifted some of the corrugated iron put down to ease in gauging local populations of reptiles,and a bootlace slow-worm graced my presence,I'm not particularly happy with the shots mind you,but a record nonetheless.About a dozen adults as well.This one is about 5 inches long.
Buchan Park Slow worm youngster
Buchan Park Slow worm youngster

I was a tad lazy and decided to take a short cut up the dual carriageway to gain access to the Park from a different direction, not recommended but I wanted to cover some spots with an afternoon "booking" with the wife fast approaching!
Slightly amazed to find two Specklies on the roadside verge,if just being here wasn't dangerous enough trying to nail some shots was positively suicidal!
A264 Speckled Wood 1
A264 Speckled Wood 1
A264 Speckled Wood 2
A264 Speckled Wood 2
I survived the A264 situation and retreated to the calmness of the woods,actually a bit too calm,not a lot going on,the Peacocks and Commas are now declining for a while,did manage to bag a Brimstone having a sunbathe.
Buchan Park Brimstone
Buchan Park Brimstone
Also a Comma still enjoying life down by the big pond
Buchan Park Comma
Buchan Park Comma
I quickly trecked up to Target Hill to see how the Small Torts were getting on,greatly reducing now,spotted my 2nd Holly Blue of the season but too far away.
Peacocks still hanging on in there!
Target Hill Peacock
Target Hill Peacock
And of course the Small Tortoiseshells are still kicking around just before the sun went behind a big swathe of cloud and I had to leg it to spend some time with Mrs Buchan Boy :wink:
Target Hill Small Tortoiseshell 1
Target Hill Small Tortoiseshell 1
Target Hill Small Tortoiseshell 2
Target Hill Small Tortoiseshell 2
The Orange Tip hunt begins in earnest tomorrow.
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 13th April 2014

Today is the first Orange Tip day proper around my side of Crawley,(a pretend confidence now!).

Down to the Broadfield pond area,sporadic sun and a bit chilly around about 10.15,a quick check on the Specklies and the colony now up to about 16 individuals,i think.

Heres some,I won't get bored of these little beauties so expect plenty more!
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood 1
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood 1
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood 2
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood 2
The sun was now appearing in longer spells and starting to warm up,I had a wander around the open meadow at the site and noted a couple of whites,hurry up cloud!
Cloud came and I tracked one of the whites into the undergrowth,my first small white of the year photographed.
Broadfield Pond Small White 1
Broadfield Pond Small White 1
Broadfield Pond Small White 2
Broadfield Pond Small White 2
You know that funny prancing thing you do when you see a butterfly go down when clouds appear,i did that,a local jogger gave me a weird look.
The sun then appeared and the whites were off with a vengeance,lost sight of them,headed back to the pond to the Cuckoo flower patch's,but not before stumbling upon another Speckly!
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood 3
Broadfield Pond Speckled Wood 3
I flanked the pond and the first Male Orange Tip of the day shot past me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh no,one of those days!I still chase occasionally if it's promising,or is just early season joy!
Got to the Cuckoo Flower boggy area and stood and watched,the same male returned and headed straight down to the plants,a tustle with a female,and he was off,leaving me with the less excited female.11.15 this was.
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Female 1
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Female 1
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Female 2
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Female 2
She was the only one,i did get lucky with one male,there were 3 by now,but after this it was futile!
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Male 1
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Male 1
Realising now was a good time for a spot of lunch,i went home and decided it may be prudent to go to Willoughby Fields and have a look at the vast banks of Cuckoo Flower there.
An enjoyable afternoon in blazing sunshine was had with half a dozen females and probably about the same males,got lucky really as nothing was staying still for long.
Willoughby Fields Orange Tip Female
Willoughby Fields Orange Tip Female
Willoughby Fields Orange Tip Male
Willoughby Fields Orange Tip Male
Cuckoo Flower vastness.
Orange Tip stuff
Orange Tip stuff
At this point I pondered hanging round to see if I could catch some roosters,but the sight is rather large and I thought a trip back to Broadfield may be the better option.So that was that.
I got back to the Broadfield site just as they were settling down and noted one deep down and managed the shot.
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Male 2
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Male 2
And one just hanging round before a Comma came along and he sprung into action!
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Male 3
Broadfield Pond Orange Tip Male 3
Aforementioned ruiner..........of good shot,so I took one of him instead!
Broadfield Pond Comma
Broadfield Pond Comma
I like Orange Tip days, think I might go all exotic over Easter and head for the South Downs maybe.....
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Buchan :D :mrgreen: Seeing the filed of Cuckoo Flower suddenly makes it clear why I'm struggling to find Orange-tips round my way - there is nothing like that with only tiny little clumps scattered across a huge number of fields.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Cheers Wurzel,

Forgot to mention,saw my first Swallow of 2014 yesterday evening as well :D

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely spring shots there, BB.

I'm sure Orange Tips will be flocking to that heap of cuckoo flower that you are so fortunate to have near your doorstep.

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Tuesday 15th April 2014

I managed to get to Broadfield Pond after work,in good sunshine but the Easterlies were lowering the temperature a tad,the light was lovely however.

One male Orange Tip still on the wing but wouldn't settle and what I thought to be a female Orange Tip turned out to be my first Green-veined White for 2014 at this locality.
Broadfield Pond Green-veined White male.
Broadfield Pond Green-veined White male.
Lovely light.
Broadfield Pond Peacock
Broadfield Pond Peacock
Hope theres loads more lovely evenings to come.
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Friday 18th April 2014

On the train down to Falmer quite early, for the my first foray on the South Downs of this year.A quick trek past the footy stadium and up the hill,across the SDW,and into Castle Hill NNR.

I've been coming to this fabulous reserve for many years now, albeit later in the season for the wonderful Orthoptera this downland sanctuary boasts,but since I've developed further interests into orchids and butterflies,I've been getting here earlier and earlier,sometimes with big frosts still around.

The reserve holds one of the largest colonies of Early Spider Orchids in the country,last year they were not around until mid-may,this year is somewhat near normal.
Castle Hill NNR Early Spider Orchids 1
Castle Hill NNR Early Spider Orchids 1
Castle Hill NNR Early Spider Orchids 2
Castle Hill NNR Early Spider Orchids 2
In about two weeks this place will be awash with these little beauties
Bumped into my first small coppers of the year, warming up in a couple of sheltered spots.
Castle Hill NNR Small Copper 1
Castle Hill NNR Small Copper 1
Castle Hill NNR Small Copper 2
Castle Hill NNR Small Copper 2
It was still quite chilly around 11 ish so I found a sunny sheltered spot,ate my lunch,and grabbed a half hour kip!(Takes its toll,all this walking!)

Just as I stood up ready to go searching for stuff again my first Dingy Skipper of the year passed by,couldn't see it go down,but a good sign.

Walked along the valley bottom which was reaching some nice temperatures and to the Green Hairstreak spots of former years,did a good check around but none here yet,i figured its been quite chilly down this close to the coast lately,maybe they're slightly behind.

Sat down to watch a patch of bugle to see if any Dingys would come by and noted the Early Purple Orchids starting to rise.
Castle Hill NNR Early Purple Orchids 1
Castle Hill NNR Early Purple Orchids 1
Castle Hill NNR Early Purple Orchids 2
Castle Hill NNR Early Purple Orchids 2
Castle Hill NNR Early Purple Orchids 3
Castle Hill NNR Early Purple Orchids 3
Just as I was about to move to another area,hello Dingy! and another and another,they'd all congregated in the warmest,most out the wind place on the whole reserve,counted 15 in all.
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 1
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 1
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 2
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 2
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 3
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 3
Even the Pheasants wanted to see what was going on.....
Castle Hill NNR male Pheasant
Castle Hill NNR male Pheasant
Dingy heaven,be interesting to see what sort of numbers they reach this year
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 4
Castle Hill NNR Dingy Skipper 4
I had to leave slightly earlier than planned,but was fulfilled nonetheless.
Castle Hill NNR Small Copper 3
Castle Hill NNR Small Copper 3
15 Dingy Skippers
4 Small Coppers
2 Speckled Woods
2 Small Tortoiseshells
3 Green-veined Whites
2 Peacocks
1 possible Grizzled skipper,not sure

A Good Friday for Dingy's

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
William

Post by William »

Lovely Photos Buchan Boy - I'm particularly jealous of those Early Spider Orchids :D

Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Hi Buchan Boy
I know Castle Hill NR well , I used to live just down the road from it . There are certainly Grizzleds there though they tend to be a bit later than say at Mill Hill . Dingys usually have at least a partial 2nd brood and I can recall one day last year seeing Large , Small , Essex , Silver Spotted and Dingy on the same day .

David M

Post by David M »

Splendid array of images, BB. Looks like Small Coppers are getting into their stride.

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Saturday 19th April 2014

An odd one this evening,a monograph on the Devils Dyke (Sussex) Green Hairstreaks,a pile of shots from spending a few afternoon hours with this colony at the foot of the valley.

I reckon i probably counted towards 40 individuals in all,a true pleasure,think I photographed 35 of them as well!

Given I'd seen none at Castle Hill yesterday, some of these look like they've been fighting the good fight for a while!

Please excuse the indulgence!

When windy and intermitent sunshine prevails they all move to the back of the scrub,ie.uphill, perfect for a photographer as you are above them all the time,once your eye is "in",they stand out remarkably easy!

This was a habitat shot from a previous year,today its being grazed by cows and wandered on by hoards of humans! :roll:
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak land
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak land
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 1
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 1
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 2
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 2
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 3
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 3
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 4
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 4
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 5
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 5
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 6
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 6
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 7
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 7
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 8
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 8
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 9
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 9
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 10
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 10
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 11
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 11
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 12
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 12
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 13
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 13
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 14
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 14
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 15
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 15
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 16
Devils Dyke Green Hairstreak 16
Nearly got them all!,the striking thing is the lack of variation in the white spots.
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Very impressive Green Hairstreak count and array of photos!

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

A fine sequence of Green Hairstreaks - odd to think that your counterpart of a hundred years ago would have brought most of them home with him. Nice habitat shot, too - I'd like to see more of these in personal diaries. No habitat, no butterflies...

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Katrina and Rob,

Rob,since I've been watching,then photographing butterflies the concept of killing them and sticking them in a box seems so utterly alien to me,to be frank,slightly weird!

I guess our generations have the luxury of marvellous cameras that previous ones didn't.Dont see any justification,IMO,these days,for taking living beings and killing them unless its an absolute must for scientific purposes.

An Easter Sunday sermon,praise the Lord. :D

Yep,more habitat shots please!

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great selection of Greenstreak shots BB :D The one showing the proboscis separated is very interesting and reminded me of all those lectures on Insect Mouthparts I sat through at Uni :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Saturday 26th April 2014

A quick check on one of my local Orange-tip populations, also checking the Cuckoo Flower for any egg-laying activity.......both positive.
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Female
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Female
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Male
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Male
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Male 2
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Male 2
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Female 2
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Female 2
The cycle starts again.
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Ovum
Broadfield Pond Orange-tip Ovum
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne

Return to “Personal Diaries”