False Apollo

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
False Apollo

Re: False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I will be looking out for larvae, but now I know who 'Mikhail' is on the Forums, as we met and confirmed we knew each other anyway, I'm sure if larvae are to be found, he will find them. He is already keeping his eye on some recently laid Clouded Yellow eggs. I'm sure that eggs have been laid all along the cliffs so there is a good chance of an early sighting next Spring. Mikhail is of the opinion that they are most vulnerable in the pupal stage when they overwinter, so although larvae may be found in various places, it is anybody's guess how many will make it through to the adult stage.

Regards
Mike

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Painted Lady

Post by False Apollo »

Having been out chasing an Iceland Gull and Siberian Chiffchaffs today 1st March at Stanpit Marsh, Christchurch, I decided to check the CHOG (Christchurch Harbour Ornithological Group) website tonight to see what else had been reported. In the area known as North Scrubs a Painted Lady was seen. I have seen early Painted Ladies before, and not just at coastal sites. I believe these to be hibernators tempted out by the warm weather and not fresh immigrants. Indeed around 1987 I also recall seeing a few from around Boxing Day to the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how many other early individuals are reported. All the early individuals (March/April) I have seen in Hants/Dorset have been worn and a bit faded.

As an aside I wonder if anyone has any information on Marsh Fritillary sightings in Hampshire in 2013. I am writing the species account for the Hampshire Butterfly Report and have very little data so far, so would be grateful for any interesting records accounts from anywhere in the county. Adults/larval web counts etc. I will of course keep any sites confidential if requested. Particularly interested in any sightings from the North Hampshire/Wiltshire areas. As for my other species account, the Clouded Yellow, I have more than enough information to be going on with!

Regards
Mike Gibbons

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Painted Lady

Post by Wurzel »

I've got some bits and pieces Marsh Frit wise from the areas you're talking about so I'll send a PM Mike.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Re: Painted Lady

Post by False Apollo »

Many thanks for that Wurzel, I was a bit despairing for the species as I have received records North Hampshire in the past and was sure they had not died out, but coverage was not brilliant. Understandably many people do not want some areas publicised, so exact site details are kept confidential for the species safety and if the observer wishes the site kept quiet. We would rather know where they are so their future (hopefully) can be made as secure as possible and the distribution map can be kept up to date.

Regards
Mike

False Apollo

A Visit to the Isle of Wight

Post by False Apollo »

On the spur of the moment on Saturday I booked a trip to the Isle of Wight for Sunday on the strength of a good weather forecast. As Sunday dawned I was not disappointed, the weather looked like we were two months or more further into the year, it was glorious sunshine.When Melanie (my other half) and myself boarded the Lymington Ferry and glided smoothly across the Solent to Yarmouth, it got warmer and warmer. We had decided to visit a wood on the north of the island to see what butterflies were flying. Not long after we had arrived walking through the wood, Brimstones were on the wing around 15-20 at least, but the most amazing thing was the amount of Commas in such a small area of woodland, I reckon there were around 30 altogether. A little later the first Peacock was evident, and around 10 were noted. We both very briefly saw a large gingery butterfly associate with a Comma, it flew purposely high into the trees, and unfortunately never reappeared. There were only one or 2 Small Tortoiseshells around. After lunch and a few more circuits we eventually saw a Red Squirrel, which soon scurried off. Most of the Commas were on willow catkins or down on crab apple windfalls between sunning themselves. We also saw a Raven and heard Mediterranean Gulls overhead. After a cream tea we left the sunshine isle to make our way back to the ferry with that mysterious butterfly still on our minds, was it or wasn't it?

Mike Gibbons
Attachments
Red Squirrel not stopping for long
Red Squirrel not stopping for long
Catkin feeding station
Catkin feeding station
Peacock basking
Peacock basking
One of many Commas
One of many Commas

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots and report Mike :D I'd go for the 'stringy' record :wink: it certainly sounds like a LT (not that I've seen one in the flesh but in many books I have)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Wurzel,
My immediate thought at the time was of a female LT, but I had such a brief view I could not stake a claim for sure. I have seen them here 2 years running though, my first being a magnificent female imbibing in a muddy area on the main path which I photographed and videoed. When this female took off, it was with a very powerful upward flight, which was pretty effortless. It was soon around the top of the trees and lost to view. The one I saw last year with other observers was a tatty male sunning itself in a recently cleared area. I hope to go again if the weather is as good in a week or so.

Regards
Mike

PS From the Marsh Fritillary records you sent me I believe you saw the earliest adult on the wing in Hampshire in 2013!

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

What a fantastic weekend and Monday I have had. The garden has had Orange Tip, Holly Blue, Brimstones, Small Whites and Peacocks. Locally in West Christchurch, Green-veined White as well. Today (Monday) I visited Hengistbury Head which was heaving with Peacocks and I also saw my first Speckled Wood of the year. I saw my first Ring Ouzel and 2 Redstarts of the year near the new visitor centre in this glorious sunshine. I then decided to visit Magdalen Hill Down, Hampshire Butterfly Conservation's flagship reserve and what a surprise awaited me there! Two people approached me to say 'You will never guess what we have seen'. They then proceeded to tell me they had seen and photographed a Swallowtail along the path not far from the entrance. After getting the directions I soon located this magnificent beast. It kept flying around up and down, landing from time to time on bushes fence posts and on the ground where I obtained the photos. I was unsure as to whether it was a British race or continental race, I think now it to be of the continental race, but would be keen to hear any comments to the contrary if anyone thinks otherwise. It does look extremely likely that has been released but nevertheless it is a splendid insect and it was only chance that led me to visit the lovely site. I also saw Small Tortoiseshells and my first Small Copper here as well. What a day!

Mike Gibbons
Attachments
Swallowtail - Magdalen Hill Down 14/04/14.
Swallowtail - Magdalen Hill Down 14/04/14.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fantastic sighting Mike, but I don't agree with your captive/release theory. Gorganus Swallowtails invaded the UK last August, alongside the Long-tailed Blue. They laid eggs quite widely across the Southern Counties and a number of gorganus caterpillars were tracked until they pupated in gardens in Chichester and Hastings. The whereabouts of a dozen pupae are known. Other caterpillars were thrown out with the carrot tops. There is an article on this in the BC Sussex spring magazine.

So we are fully expecting an emergence of British gorganus Swallowtails this spring, this being a happy hangover from the momentous 2013 season. I believe this is the first of hopefully more. Don't write them off!

BWs, Neil

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

This is great news Neil, I was rather erring on the cautious side. It is certainly a strong possibility. There is however little in the way of foodplant on the reserve I believe after speaking to Colin the warden and Jenny Mallett who also saw the Swallowtail. It was incredibly territorial and faithful to returning to the same area though, even after being spooked by Peacocks and Brimstones who seemed intrigued by this large visitor. I hope there are other emergences to give more credence to this being a wild Swallowtail.

Regards
Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely stunning :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mike,

The likelihood is that it emerged from a garden or allotments in the vicinity, before heading up there. Although there is a precedent for gorganus getting through its life-cycle on the southern Downs (Dorset to Kent) on wild umbillifers, occasionally becoming established for short periods during the last two centuries, I believe it has an easier time on cultivated plants, with much e.g. wild parsnip shrivelling (in the true 'wild') before the caterpillars have pupated in the autumn.

I don't know MHD very well (single visit), so just looked at a Google map. Plenty of gardens and a sizeable allotment less than a Km away. I know where my money lies!

BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Given the abnormally benign winter, it wouldn't be surprising to learn that a handful of continental migrants have successfully overwintered in their appropriate life cycle stages.

Even so, a mid-April sighting of a Swallowtail outside its English heartland is a remarkable thing.
Last edited by David M on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Incredible! Well done on getting a decent photo and sharing it with us Mike!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Stunning! What a find, Mike.

A lovely post script to some wonderful sightings in 2013.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Sorry to hear that the Swallowtail was not seen at Magdalen Hill Down today. I spoke to Neil today at Noarhill and everyone was looking in the right place as per where it was yesterday. It would have been large and unmistakeable, so I very much doubt that anyone would have missed it. Vince asked me to add a photo to the species specific album which I have now done.
I visited Noarhill today as per above and managed to see around 5 or 6 Duke of Burgundy dashing around the cowslips. A Red Kite overhead was a fantastic sight to crown a lazy sunny afternoon.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
His Grace posing.
His Grace posing.
His Grace.
His Grace.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely Dukes, Mike.

Perhaps there will be more Swallowtails in Sussex!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Lee,
Neil assures me there will be. So any day now !!! Yes it was great to see the Dukes, as it is a species I don't usually see every year, and I just happened to be off work while they were out.

Regards
Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shots of the Duke Mike. I am pleased to hear that the Red Kite is still around. It was coming down really low on Monday and I was thrilled to see it, quite a rarity for me.

William

Post by William »

Superb stuff Mike - you've had quite a week with those Dukes and the Swallowtail - one to set the pulse racing :D :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”