Tree Of Heaven Advice Needed

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Paul Harfield

Tree Of Heaven Advice Needed

Post by Paul Harfield »

I planted a Tree Of Heaven about 35yrs ago in my parents garden. It is now a mature tree perhaps 25-30ft high. It is still growing but has various troubles. In recent years the leaves seem to have diminished in size. It is prone to branches dying off and losing them especially in this recent windy weather. It also has a deep fissure in the trunk which provides a home to many woodlice, slugs and frogs have been found inside. There was a large willow tree in close proximity and the tree seems to have suffered where the branches touched. It throws up suckers quite regularly but as yet we have been unable to keep one of these alive for long once detached from the root system. Has it had its day? If we cut it down or partially prune it is it likely to give it a new lease of life?

Any comments appreciated :D
DSCN9124 - Copy.JPG
DSCN9120 - Copy.JPG
JohnR

Re: Tree Of Heaven Advice Needed

Post by JohnR »

If this is the stinking shumac, Ailanthus altissima then it shouldn't be giving you any problems. They are vigorous and in many countries listed as an invasive species. Beekeepers like it though others will stick it in the same class as grey squirrels, rhododendron ponticum, Turkey Oak etc.
Propagation is by root cuttings but I suspect that seed is the more usual, otherwise why the paranoia?
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The Tree of Heaven is capable of growing fast to 80ft and should live for 100 years of more. The leaves do reduce in size a little as is gets older. This is a highly invasive species,spreading rapidly by root suckers. Thankfully,the seed does not ripen in our climate-it is an invasive nuisance in warmer countries.

The tree in your picture is qiute small,so if it has started to die back,this suggests it is diseased. Don't forget,though,that the leaves of this exotic tree do not come out until May,even in the south. It can be cut back quite hard,and it will re-grow. If it is sick,however,this could finish it off. Personally,would wait until summer,and perhaps post another picture then, when in full leaf,as with no leaves, it looks dead!
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi JohnR and Essex Buzzard

Thanks for the advice. Although all the literature says this should be vigorous and fast growing, ours has never been vigorous in growth or sucker production. Maybe it was troubled from the start :?:
essexbuzzard wrote: it looks dead!
I take your point that 'it looks dead'. Summer pictures would probably tell a better story, but we just happened to be discussing it that day and it was on my mind :D
JohnR wrote: why the paranoia?
I am not 'paranoid' about it (well just a bit maybe :wink: ). It is in my parents garden and they live with it and keep me informed. Any advice is helpful :D
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

jackz432r wrote:
JohnR wrote: why the paranoia?
I am not 'paranoid' about it (well just a bit maybe :wink: ). It is in my parents garden and they live with it and keep me informed. Any advice is helpful :D
I wasn't suggesting that you were paranoid about anything (at least not as much as I am), it was just that Ailanthus altissima is amongst the plants that some would like included in schedule 9 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (the same group who would like to condemn the Romans for their introduction of useful herbs)
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

JohnR wrote:I wasn't suggesting that you were paranoid about anything (at least not as much as I am), it was just that Ailanthus altissima is amongst the plants that some would like included in schedule 9 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (the same group who would like to condemn the Romans for their introduction of useful herbs)
Hi John

Thanks for the information :D After reading a few articles on Ailanthus altissima last night I understand what you mean. I can see that around the world this tree is regarded with contempt. And there are concerns that with a milder climate it may become a problem in this country. I have to say that ours has never shown any evidence of being a vicious alien invader. It does not seem to have any adverse effect on the surrounding plants, does not sucker profusely and does not produce any nasty smells. Ours is obviously the exception :wink:

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”