March 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Re: March 2014

Post by millerd »

My first Orange Tip of the year seen just west of Heathrow this morning. Endlessly patrolling as usual with cloud too wispy to cause it to stop. The first of many I hope!

Dave
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Bargoed & Area, South Wales two lovely mellow Spring days with temperatures in the mid teens brought out the Small Tortoiseshell - yet no other species were noted. In all around two dozen seen during garden chores and a couple of local journeys. It was supposedly warmer than Spain over the weekend :shock:

So now British Summertime is officially here, its time to get the Orange-tip on the wing, and its great to read that Millerd has already seen one in the south, there are exciting times ahead my dear UKButterflyers :wink:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

A kick about in the sunshine at a local park yesterday morning prompted Ben (my 11yr old son) and I to visit a local butterfly site, Fenny Compton Tunnel Bank in Warks.. We had seen several male Brimestones flitting about in the morning and we were greeted at the site by two males that were patrolling a hedgerow, presumably in search of a female. We walked through the meadow at the entrance to the site and continued along the canal tow path where we saw several Small Tortoishells, Peacocks, three Commas, and more Brimestones including a single female which was being hotly persued by a male.

The best butterfly of the day however was a male Orange Tip which we both spotted at the same time along the tow path. We were both very surprised to find this beautiful little butterfly as there were very few flowers around. We kept tabs on him, and as the sun dipped low at the end of the afternoon he slowed down and we managed a few shots. We decided to stay to see where he roosted and planned to return early this morning.

On arrival this morning we headed straight to the roosting site where the male was still sleeping. We managed a few more closed wing shots before the sun and the temperature rose enough for him to open his wings and take in the warmth, we grabbed a few open wing shots before finally he flew off.

Below are three shots from the two visits.
Orange Tip.jpg
March 29th 2014 photographed by Ben Kiteley.
Orange Tip2.jpg
March 30th 2014.
Orange Tip3.jpg
March 30th 2014.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Some nice sightings today and yesterday, a lone Green-veined White being chased by a Brimstone male. A holly blue at the top of a holly tree canopy. The Small Tortoiseshell has made a remarkable come back in my area. The warm winter has being very good for our hibernators. Here are a few images from this very pleasant weekend.
198.JPG
216.JPG
285.JPG
240.JPG
284.JPG
239.JPG
Attachments
221 (2).JPG
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Another sighting of a Small White passing through my garden today (30/3/14) also seen in the garden was Comma and Peacock.

Took the family to a local park in the afternoon(no camera!!!) and we all saw at least one Orange Tip, they were just flying through the crowds of people, but they didnt land.

I think i may have found an Angle Shades Moth in my garden too?! it was on the 27/3/14, i was moving my bin, and this moth dropped to the ground, i picked it up using a leaf, placed it on a wall, and took several photos. I googled the moth, and its reported to be on the wing between May and October?
If anyone can confirm that this moth is an Angle Shades, it would be appreciated, cheers.

A couple of photos of the moth. Location - Kent.
27th-March-2014-008-to-600.jpg
27th-March-2014-298-to-600.jpg
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi Bill,
you should have been at Slimbridge/Frampton on Severn today. 19C, shirt-sleeve weather. At least 6 Brimstone ( all male ), 5 Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Peacock , 1 Red Admiral, 1 Comma and 1 Speckled Wood. 6 species--not bad for March ! And before today I`d only seen 1 Small Tort and 1 Comma this year.

Jenks.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Testudo Man wrote: If anyone can confirm that this moth is an Angle Shades, it would be appreciated, cheers.
Definitely an Angle Shades. I saw my first one in April last year. UK moths states they are generally May - October but can be seen in any month:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1731

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Nigel,

Cracking shots of the Orange Tip. I always look forward to the first sighting of my favourite species each spring.
Not seen one yet, but your photos are incentive enough to keep on trying.

Regards Kev Ling
ChrissyM

Post by ChrissyM »

First Male Orange Tip of the year for me today also :)
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Lee Hurrell wrote:
Testudo Man wrote: If anyone can confirm that this moth is an Angle Shades, it would be appreciated, cheers.
Definitely an Angle Shades. I saw my first one in April last year. UK moths states they are generally May - October but can be seen in any month:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1731

Best wishes,

Lee
Thanks Lee, for confirming the moth ID, always good to have a 2nd opinion.

Cheers Paul.

Return to “Sightings”