February 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Bill S

Re: February 2014

Post by Bill S »

Brimstone spotted on 16th in Romsey Hants and a Small Tortoiseshell today near Salisbury.

Nice early start to things, helps the day at work go a little better :).

Cheers

Bill
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

2 sightings today. (26/2/14).
1st one was as i drove out of my driveway, up on to the road, an unidentified butterfly flew in front of my car, and over a neighbours fence.

2nd was definitely a Peacock, sighted whilst i was at work(up a ladder!) the Peacock flew around me several times, then went up over the roof top. Strangely enough, this was at the same property, that i saw my only sighting for 2013, of a Hummingbird Hawk Moth!
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

Hi. Introducing Sam the Small Tortoiseshell. Despite 2013 being an amazing year for butterflies I wasn't aware that any had made their way into the house, so imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks ago when Sam began fluttering around the sash window in my office/study where I'm typing right now. I've recently turned forty and have never ever seen a butterfly in February before! I've come to think of Sam as my pet butterfly. He/she only emerges on the warmer days before retreating to the gaps in the window frame. It seems ever increasingly hard to believe that in 2012 I never (for certain) saw a single Small Tortoiseshell! :D
Attachments
Sam the Small Tortoiseshell, Rugby, February 2014
Sam the Small Tortoiseshell, Rugby, February 2014
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Hurray! I saw my first butterfly today. A Small Tortoiseshell sitting on a shady path in Haddington. I picked it up and put it in a sheltered sunny spot where there were some Marigolds in flower. I hope it managed to feed and build up strength to see it through the rest of the winter.
IMG_8227 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Sightings”