My highs and lows of the Butterfly year

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

My highs and lows of the Butterfly year

Post by Gruditch »

Well with this season well and truely finished, I thought I would run through some of the highs and lows, (butterfly wise) for me this year.
Obviously the early season was "very early" and the highlights for me were the Frits, Small Pearl Bordered, Pearl Bordered, Marsh and Glanville Fritillarys in good numbers. :D The low was I never got a decent lens till after they had all gone :cry:.
Another low was after the wet June/July the numbers for most later butterflies were to say the least disappointing. Bentley Wood in July of 06 was unbelieveable, but in 07 I never saw a single Valensina and only a hand full of White Admirals :cry: . However the August Duke at Noar was a real treat, plus I got my Macro lens and managed two second places in the monthly comps :D
I saw 46 species in total for 07, found the lost Small Blue colony on Stockbridge Down, and I met some great people, you know who you are :wink:
What were your highs and lows. :?:

Gruditch
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

OK my first of the season was seeing Orange-Tips in an area I had never seen them, back in April.

http://www.davesleps.110mb.com/Images/P ... ning_2.jpg

Then I went across to this hedgegrow/forest area near where I saw Orange-Tips and I saw my first ever Holly Blue, a male, then a female. I saw that orange-tips where coming from this direction too.

http://www.davesleps.110mb.com/Images/L ... y_Leaf.jpg

First time recorded in Ards Penninusla. Saw many since then, but no second brood in this area. H tried so hard to get this shot.

In June I saw my first Meadow Brown of the year, it was an ab, had a small spot below large eyespot on underside.

Then in June I went to Whitespots Country park and this was in early evening and saw a few Red Admirals, Meadow Browns and a few Speckled wood and common blues. Also saw my first Small Heath.

I went back there in July and saw loads of common blues (over 30) mostly males and a few females

http://www.davesleps.110mb.com/Images/L ... n_Blue.JPG

Tiny Female:

http://www.davesleps.110mb.com/Images/L ... Small2.jpg

I also saw around 7 or so DG Fritalliries, my first. Hard to get shots. Also many small coppers and small/large whites. Went to find Wall butterflies that where supposed to be there, nothing. Went back in August, still nothing.

Trevor Boyd from BCNI came in July and saw where the Holly Blues where and saw them. he also got photos of Peacocks and red admirals and the few Painted ladys there was.

In late July/August, I saw a single common Blue male in Mountstewart, in a set aside part of a field, only 1. Saw it for one day and next day it was gone. Unusual. I then found Holly blues all over the place, around 6-7 new sightings all over the place.

Hundreds of Small Tortoiseshell everywhere as with peacocks/red admirals, GV Whites and small/large whites and small coppers in Mountstewart and loads of Ringlets and Meadow Browns.

Overall I saw about 15 species of butterfly and over double that in moths. Saw my first Green Carpet moths and Small Magpies too, and buff tip moths also. Saw many Elephant Hawk moth caterpillars too. Good sign even though I usually see them and not adults.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Last year I saw 17 species of butterflies, this year only 16. On the other hand I have seen many more of some species. This year has been fantastic for holly blues. I live near Tewkesbury and I suspect the flooding has had a bad effect on the gatekeeper and meadow brown populations. On the other hand the flooding changed the area where I walk so I discovered a clover meadow well populated with marbled whites. Haven't been out much in the last couple of months for various reasons including a few broken bones. Next stage is to Join BC and get help in finding those elusive other species.

Highlights for the year including close up shots of a Brimstone, a Holly Blue and a mated pair of small whites.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Seeing marsh fritillary at Hazelbury common. I could hardly believe they were just half an hour's drive away when the previous year I was traipsing down through Somerset on a fruitless search for them. A new site for me, Priddy Mineries, in Somerset but not too far away for me on the Wells road, where there were small pearl bordered fritillary, green hairstreak, and the magnificent downy emerald dragonfly. All new species for me so despite the wet midsummer I'm still well pleased. I now have a DSLR and can't wait to photograph them all again next year with the new kit.
I almost forgot, the oddest 'reserve' had to be the Bath Park & Ride car park at Odddown where there are large patches of kidney vetch along the verges supporting a small but seemingly viable colony of small blue.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

One of the real highs for me this season was all these butterfly discussions on UK Butterflies :) . As an expat, I still feel almost an impostor on the site, but you've all made me very welcome. It's definitely good to feel part of an English-speaking butterfly community, even if I'm stationed quite a long way away, and fantastic to see all your superb photos.

In the field, my most memorable event of 2007 was probably sneaking out of our school graduation just before the singing and dancing and joining Tim Cowles (http://perso.orange.fr/felixthecatalog.tim/), Matt Rowlings (http://www.eurobutterflies.com/), Philippe Bricaire and Peter Groenendijk (http://www.anythingbutcommon.nl/) for a Hypodryas intermedia hunt in a remote valley. Tim and Philippe had driven in from France and Peter had driven down from Holland just for the chance to get pictures of this rare insect. Thanks mostly to Matt we found a healthy colony but it was clear the butterflies had no idea what the fuss was about, as they just got on with their own business while we watched in awe.

(Philippe and Matt worshipping)

(Hypodryas intermedia)

No lows at all.

Guy
Martin

Post by Martin »

The high for me was hooking up with BryanH to go butterfly hunting with company. We went out about 7 or 8 times and found a new species for one of us every time :D I look forward to his company next year.
Lows? How can you have a low when you're out in the coutryside with great company?

Martin.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Mabe you and Bryan H will pass by my way next year, V6GTO... June and July are the bumper months, though Paul Kipling, of UK Butterflies fame, spent a week in the Alps this July and it rained every day :cry: - so it's always a bit of a gamble. I saw 172 species in 2007 :lol: - how does that tempt you?

Guy

PS - I know Bryan is keen to visit les femmes de Gurnigelbad...
Paul

Post by Paul »

My memories were close, clear High Brown shots for first time, France, & Guy's help there, then Black Hairstreaks followed by lunch at the Chequered skipper...... were any of you there that day??? I don't remember or recognize from the "handles" on this site. (would like to though) :?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That reminds me, Paul - another highlight of 2007 was when I took you to see mountain alcon blue on a drizzly day and either you or your son had such incredible eyesight you managed to spot a female slumbering in the grass, saving the day :D. Then you actually persuaded her to open her wings for a photo shoot...

Remember her?

And this spotless little blue shows how damp it was that day!!

It was good to meet you, Paul.

Guy
Will

Post by Will »

Having retired from work that kept me very busy during the summer, it was great to get back to an interest in butterflies that had lain dormant for 25 years. Though it was a poor summer, I somehow managed to connect with 37 species. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and cant remember any lows.

Roll on a good summer in 08. :D
Will
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yep, I remember her very well indeed......

.. and the spotless but wet small blue...

Also the very wet DGF....

I think we did alright!...... wish I had had more time then before my mad dash to Geneva airport as soon as the sun appeared.. :evil: ... maybe next year!!!!
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Being a new boy to "butterflying" 2007 was always going to be good for me, i managed 33 species with 16 being new to me.
The highlights for me were discovering Friday woods in Colchester which gave me White Admiral, Purple and White Letter Hairstreaks.
My summer holiday in Dorset brought Wood White, Lulworth Skipper, Silver Studded Blue, Marbled White, Small Blue, Adonis Blue, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, so i cant complain its been a great year.
I have also been moth trapping all year and have managed around 300 species.
Steve.
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Did someone mention les femmes de Gurnigelbad?

:P
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

For me, the spring and summer in southern France yielded 175 species (of which six were only seen in Switzerland), and 16 of them were life-ticks, which are now becoming increasingly difficult to find.

The highlights? Of the many, I would select the southern comma (polygonia egea) I saw in the Alpes Maritimes, my first egea sighting in France and quite a rarity this far west, and the plain tiger (danaus chrysippus) of which there were several in a protected coastal area near Montpellier. I could only get photos through a chain-link fence at a distance of around 3m, so they are not good photos, but it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours just watching. My thanks to Tim Cowles for the detailed location information, as it would have been impossible to chance upon them.

The south-east corner of France is a superb area for butterflies, with around 190 species occurring in the departements of Var and the Alpes Maritimes and I would recommend it to anyone for variety and sheer numbers. Var in May is superb. Many rare UK species, such as heath and glanville fritillaries and adonis blue, are common.

Some 50 or so photos:
http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/2007_highlights.htm
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

this has been my first complete year as a butterfly groupie...

i have really enjoyed sharing pics & banter with you all here !!

the highlights of the year were finding a colony of white letter hairstreaks and my safari to corfu where i found the pashas ( although for the first few days i thought they were a new type of swallowtail :oops: )

my ambition for next year is to get at least one vote for the monthly competition ( without resorting to bribery )

charles
Denise

Post by Denise »

Wow Roger Gibbons. Stunning photos. Enjoyed them very much.

Denise
Chris

Post by Chris »

Highs: Moving from city-centre Leeds to the middle of nowhere in North Yorkshire and finding things like Wall Brown in my Garden; Getting off to a cracking start with my photography, it's improved no end this year! (pics to follow)

Lows: My butterflying year ended in June due to holidays and weekend commitments/weather, etc!; no new species added to the list this year, and there are still plenty to go!

Roll on 2008... I'm going to desperately try and win at least one monthly competition, gonna spend more time exploring my local patch and STOP PRESS, I'm getting married next December!

Last edited by Chris on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance

Post by Lance »

High for me was seeing Purple Emperor in Fermyn wood and having a male settle on my boot.
Regards Lance
55bloke

Post by 55bloke »

Chris wrote:Highs: Moving from city-centre Leeds to the middle of nowhere in North Yorkshire and finding things like Wall Brown in my Garden
Where exactly is Thrintoft? I lived in N Yorks for 20 odd years and don't know it!!
Highs and lows for me this year were seeing Swallowtails on Crete (if that counts) and being horrified at the mowing of the meadow behind our house, and resultant total absence of previously abundant Orange Tips. :cry:
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thrintoft is about 3 miles north West of Northallerton, near Ainderby Steeple. It has a great pub! Come and have dinner and keep the village alive!

Return to “General”