February 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

February 2014

Post by Willrow »

Near Bargoed, South Wales my first butterfly of the year this morning, a rather good condition Small Tortoiseshell seen first on a Crocus and then it briefly landed on a Snowdrop before moving off into the lovely bright sunshine...now doesn't that sound like music to your ears :D Seemed rather strange to see one of our butterflies on a traditional winter flower, whatever - my personal butterfly year is now off to a flying start...yippee!!!

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
ChrisC

Re: February 2014

Post by ChrisC »

First garden butterfly. Peacock on a dandelion outside the front door.
RobN

Post by RobN »

My first of the year - a Brimstone flitting about on the ivy covering my garden fence.
Rob
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi ChrisC, Bill and Rob, I'm glad for you. Bring on the Spring.
Greetings from the South of France.
Chris J
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Rob welcome to UK Butterflies what a great species to start off your year with!!!

Chris I'm with you on that...Bring on the Spring!

Cheers,
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

My first butterfly of the year today, aswell. A male Brimstone fluttering around in almost spring like conditions in the shelter of a railway cutting in Botley :D Also a plume moth in the garden :D
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Peacock butterfly seen in flight at lunchtime today at Milton Country Park near Cambridge - my first butterfly of 2014 :D

Trev
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Male brimstone seen this morning at the foot of Ham Hill near Cheltenham
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Two male brimstones on the way to the garden centre at Horn Dean today. Also lots of bumble bees and flies about. Things are starting to get interesting!!

I had forgotten I also had an unusual sighting of a peacock butterfly flirting around inside earls court last Saturday at the destinations travel show.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It really feels like spring is on the way despite a cooler breeze blowing straight on the scarp face at High and Over where I was searching for the 2nd time this year for Wall Brown larva. I was about to give up when I spotted one near the top of a half eaten blade of grass. I had already found several moth larvae which were possibly types of Wainscot moth. With the wind blowing the blade of grass about it was not easy getting an acceptable image, especially as the larva was only just over 1 cm. long!!
Wall Brown larva
Wall Brown larva
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Well spotted Bob, your efforts were rewarded and a very nice image too!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Excellent stuff Bob, that's a cracking photo :D
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks Bill and James for your comments. Maybe I will be able to show you one at High and Over James sometime.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

My first butterfly sighting of 2014 was today (21/2/14) at approx 12.45 pm.
It was a Peacock, and i saw it land on the woodland floor. I was actually looking for a Vipera berus(Adder) but didnt see one of those today. I did in fact spot my first Adder for 2014, last Sunday (16/2/14) but that was at another Kent location.
I had a feeling that today would be the day to sight my first butterfly of the season, so i was well pleased :)
The wind was a bit brisk, but in sheltered areas, when the sun was out, it was quite warm!

The Peacock did not open its wings/bask, i did capture several shots, but as i moved in for a close up, it flew up through the trees, and was gone.

Note- I also saw/heard a Song Thrush this morning, singing its heart out, at the bottom of my neighbours garden...so all the signs are there, for Spring to be just around the corner :)
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

My first butterfly of 2014 seen at 1.40 pm while on a local walk :D
Small Tortoiseshell - Coulsdon, Surrey 22-Feb-2014
Small Tortoiseshell - Coulsdon, Surrey 22-Feb-2014
Temperature was approx 12 degrees with a light wind.

Vince
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Yet another Red Admiral for me this afternoon. 4 now this year, but no other species for me yet. This one was in a field near the house whilst I was on the way to try to photograph a Firecrest. My son Matt had a Small Tortoiseshell this morning near the mouth of the River Cuckmere.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Four SmallTorts at Five Rivers this afternoon two of which I think were courting :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A brief walk around High and Over produced at least 3 Small Tortoiseshell with one pair in courtship. I also had a look in a sheltered area near the bottom of the scarp for Wall Brown larva and found 2 together. These were about 3 times larger than the one from last week and were well ahead of any I have seen before at this time of year.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

My 2014 "garden butterfly list" is off the mark today (24/2/14) i spotted a Small Tortoiseshell on one of the Daffodils beside my driveway.
I ran upstairs to grab my camera, ran back downstairs in record time, but as i opened the front door, the butterfly flew around the back of my car, up over my neighbours house/roof, and it just vanished.
Not happy about missing this photo opportunity, but great to see one in the garden all the same.

Reports on the news tonight, suggest the temps were up to 15 Degrees C. (in the South East) so there must have been a good number of sightings down here in Kent today??
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

here is a Small Tortoiseshell which has emerged from hibernation in our Sitting Room:
12795658124_2799a50ae5_z.jpg
Charles

8) 8)

Return to “Sightings”