jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

Maximus wrote:Hi Jack, just catching up on your diary, lovely Clouded Yellow shots, especially the helice :D If you feel that you saw a Brown Hairstreak at Noar in the Ash, then it probably was :wink:

Mike
Hi Mike

Thanks for the comments. 3 visits to Noar Hill and 1 to Steyning and still nothing 100% positive :( Maybe be next year.

Sunday 8.9.2013 At Home In The Garden

Whilst hanging out the washing first thing on Sunday, I found a very exotic looking larva perched on the peg basket. I think this is a Vapourer Moth larva. I am not sure where it came from but I put it up into the Maple tree above where it was found :D It was sunny at that point :D My boys first football matches of the season kicked off at 2pm. So obviously the sky went black at about 1.15pm and by kick off we were all completely soaked to the skin :lol: It seems to have been raining ever since :(
Vapourer Moth larva
Vapourer Moth larva
DSCN8583 - Copy.JPG
Friday 13.9.2013 Buff Ermine Larvae

My captive Buff Ermine Moth larvae are now growing rapidly. I have now released all but a few into the garden. During the week I managed to catch one as it shed its skin, but the light was too low for me to get any pictures. Today the largest are perhaps 40mm long.
4th Instar Buff Ermine larva about 40mm long
4th Instar Buff Ermine larva about 40mm long
DSCN8596 - Copy.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a fantastic looking caterpillar Jack :D If you're after Brown Hairstreaks give Shipton Bellinger a try next year it's delivered the goods for me the last four years :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 20.9.2013 Stephens Castle Down

A rare Friday afternoon off luckily coincided with some warm sunny weather :D Quite a change after the autumnal last couple of weeks. I decided to pay a visit to my local site. I arrived at around 2pm and conditions were warm and sunny with a little cloud. I did not really know what to expect numbers wise. The first thing I noticed when I arrived was that the place had undergone some 'management' since my last visit. There were several areas where scrub had been recently cleared, these areas looking rather barren.
DSCN8620 - Copy.JPG
There was certainly not much flying and it was a while before I spotted my first butterfly, a rather worn male Common Blue. A little later a couple of Small Whites showed themselves. I searched around for some time without much success until I was startled by a bird which suddenly emerged from the grass close by making a huge amount of noise and commotion :shock: I am not particularly interested in birds, but this one certainly got my attention. As I walked through one of the recently cleared areas I was slightly surprised to see a Peacock flying around me and I soon spotted another. I thought these were quite early hibernators, but I suppose the warmth had enticed them out to play. With another Small White and a Large White I had nearly used up my available time. I had one last look around and spotted another Common Blue, this time a female. As there was not much else going on I spent quite a while observing this female. She would nectar,settle and bask for a while. Every now and again she would settle down in the undergrowth clambering around and inspecting every shoot, sometimes even walking backwards. It was fairly obvious she was looking for places to lay eggs. It was not long before I witnessed my first Common Blue egg being laid :D :D I struggled to locate the egg even though I watched her lay, such a tiny thing, amazing. I did not think that my camera would capture it very well, it struggles to focus on the adults sometimes. Thankfully it was in full sun and I managed an ok picture. I wonder if the positioning of this egg is typical or random :?:
DSCN8632 - Copy.JPG
DSCN8634 - Copy.JPG
I left feeling quite satisfied with my Common Blue egg, but slightly disappointed that I had not seen higher numbers.

As the season draws to a close, my attention is drawn further afield to Long Tailed Blues :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and shots Jack :D I too have been eyeing the LT Blues but perhaps they're too far afield for me :? :( Good luck if you go for em :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel

Thanks for the comments :D With regard to Long Tailed Blues, I have now booked a day and now have everything crossed that the weather is reasonable and that I do not miss them. It is a 3 hour drive but I think that is well worth it for an event which may not repeat itself for many years if at all. If I do not make the effort I will probably regret it, but I am sure it will be a long tiring day hopefully with some reward. I will be happy if I have spent all day there and see one individual, anything else is a bonus :D

Sunday 22.9.2013 Local Patch

My last few captive Buff Ermine larvae are approaching their final stages. This morning I noticed the largest had shed its skin for, what must be, the fourth and last time before pupation. Several of the other remaining larvae also look like they are about to shed their skins. The largest, which must have shed its skin earlier in the day, was demonstrating some behaviour which I have not witnessed before. It was happily munching away on its own shed skin :shock: I am not sure if this is typical behaviour or not, I certainly did not notice them doing this in the earlier instars. I will check tomorrow to see if it has eaten the whole thing, or if it just fancied a snack :wink:
Final Instar larvae eating its own skin
Final Instar larvae eating its own skin
This afternoon, after close fought football matches for both my boys, I challenged them to a caterpillar hunt along our local footpath. The prize of 50p to be awarded for each one found :wink: Of course I found the first and only true caterpillar 8) A near fully grown Comma larva in a location where I can reliably find them every year. My eldest son, who has got to that age where the appeal of caterpillars etc has taken a back seat, impressed me by identifying the species unprompted :D My youngest sons only interest in caterpillars was down to the 50p prize money. However, as a consolation, I awarded them prize money for an attractive group of Sawfly larvae found on Hazel.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 27.9.2013 My Local Patch

Another Friday afternoon off, sadly not enough time for me to get to Long Tailed Blue country, but at least the weather was looking good :D I had to be satisfied with an hour along my local footpath. As I left the house the hazy sunshine became noticeably more sunny than haze. However, the first two thirds of my walk was almost butterfly-less :( Just one Speckled Wood and a fairly young Red Admiral larva. I had a look for the Comma larva I had spotted with my boys last week, but think it must have gone off to pupate.
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
Unusual Crane Fly
Unusual Crane Fly
At this point I had to make do with other things. There were hundreds of craneflies about, several taking to the air with every footstep, their aimless flight causing me to be constantly brushing them away from face. One in particular caught my eye as it landed on a leaf beside me, its colouration entirely different from the usual craneflies. As I approached the final stretch of footpath, where last year there was large numbers of butterflies at this time, I was beginning to wonder where they all were :? Conditions were pretty much ideal although the Blackberries seemed to be slightly later with plenty of blossom and unripe berries as well ripe and overripe ones.
Small Copper
Small Copper
Comma
Comma
As I was within sight of the end of the path, which is marked by a large Buddleia, the day was saved by a rather ragged Small Copper nectaring on Bramble blossom. And then I noticed a fresh looking Speckled Wood which had found a bunch of overripe blackberries almost hidden by an overhanging leaf. The Buddleia thankfully held several more species in small numbers, Commas, Red Admirals, Small Whites and another Small Copper. These jostled for position on the Buddleia, but nearly all too high and out of sight for photos. Nowhere near the numbers that were in this location last year.
Buff Ermine larva at home
Buff Ermine larva at home
One of 4 Knot Grass larva found in the garden
One of 4 Knot Grass larva found in the garden
When I returned home it was feeding time for my remaining few captive Buff Ermine larvae. I released a few more into the garden, now just 4 remaining. It will not be long before they are ready to pupate. Whilst in he garden I noticed 4 Knot Grass larvae, 2 on Ash and 2 on Leycesteria (Pheasant Berry). This is the second year that I have noticed the larval stages of this species in the garden, last year they were on different plants though. They are obviously not fussy what they eat.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Monday 7.10.2013 Kingsdown Leas, In Search Of The Long Tailed Blue

Despite being something of a novice compared to many on this site, I felt that the rare chance of seeing Long Tailed Blues in the UK was an opportunity that I may not get again. When Neil (Sussex Kipper) generously gave details of finding the offspring of the migrants that arrived earlier in the year, I booked a days leave immediately. Weekends for me are out due to my boys football commitments. Work and home commitments meant the earliest opportunity for a trip to Kent was over 2 weeks away from when I booked it. I had been studying the sightings reports ever since and keeping fingers crossed for good weather. After some cooler, duller and wetter weather recently, the forecast on Monday, miraculously, looked perfect :D :D

Over the weekend Long Tailed Blues seemed to be being reported from several places. Although my original plan had been to go to Kingsdown in Kent, the place which seemed to offer the best chance of seeing Long Tailed Blues, there now seemed to be several other options. I found myself unable to sleep and as usual, undecided as to where to head for :? I was less confident of success at the Sussex sites so stuck with Kent, but a last minute change of mind saw me setting my SatNav for Reculver. This was based on good numbers being reported on the Sunday. However this was a bit of a gamble as I had no grid reference to go by and to just guess where to go from the brief report.

I set off a little later than intended in thick mist which would gradually clear. As I got into Kent there again was a thick covering of low cloud and things looked pretty dull :( I stopped at the services for a comfort break and again a change of heart saw me resetting the SatNav for Kingsdown. Without a proper grid reference I decided I could have wasted hours looking in the wrong place. Thankfully, by the time I approached Dover there was hardly a cloud in the sky :D A detour at Dover added a bit more time to a journey which had already taken longer than expected :( I finally arrived at Kingsdown at 11.30, about an hour later than intended.

After climbing the steps to the cliff top it was very evident that there had been lots of people here. Around every clump of Everlasting Pea the grass was heavily trampled. In fact the grass was heavily trampled nearly everywhere I looked. After only a few minutes a small greyish/blue butterfly flew past me. I could only keep it in view for a short time before I lost sight. I think this must have been my first Long Tailed Blue, but I will never know for sure. After another 10 minutes or so I noticed 3 or 4 people gathered a short distance away who had obviously found our target so I made my way over. Sitting on a grass stem low down, looking slightly smaller than I expected a beautiful Long Tailed Blue :D :D :D This one was in pretty good shape with both tails intact :D It sat there for quite some time and we all managed to get some photos. After a few minutes it took to the air briefly and settled again a short distance away and this time opened its wings several times allowing some more photos. Of course, being a gentleman, I let everybody get their photos first. When my turn came it had had enough, took to the air, fluttered around for a minute and disappeared over the cliff :( :(
My only photo of a Long Tailed Blue
My only photo of a Long Tailed Blue
I then went on my way and spent a couple more hours searching. I even walked all the way along the cliff to the St Margarets end by the monument, this was probably a waste of time as I did not see much at all. Earlier in the day I had noticed some active clearance of garden shrubs, ivy, brambles etc along the front of one of the large houses. By the time I got back to this main area, a couple of bonfires had been lit along the road burning the garden waste. The thick smoke was blowing right across the main cliff top. As I was thinking to myself that this would probably wipe out any chance of anymore sightings, I spotted a worn looking blue butterfly, wings open, on the grass just in front of me. My excitement was short lived :( As I got closer I could see this was not a Long Tailed Blue at all, this was probably a very worn Adonis Blue. After getting a photo or two and still with smoke catching the back of my throat, I moved a few steps on only to find another Blue butterfly open winged in the grass. This time the eye spots on the hind wings confirmed this as a rather ragged looking, tailess Long Tailed Blue :D For the second time on the day it took to the air before I could get my camera into action. As I watched it disappear out of sight I realised it would probably be my last ever view of a British born Long Tailed Blue :(
The area of my final Long Tailed Blue encounter at Kingsdown Leas
The area of my final Long Tailed Blue encounter at Kingsdown Leas
I stayed on until 4pm in the vain hope that I might catch another glimpse, but it was not to be. A rather worn Speckled Wood and an equally worn female Adonis Blue rounded off the day. My joy was tempered somewhat, when I returned home at gone 7pm, when I discovered that my wife had been taken to casualty with an injured shoulder/ribs. Not too serious as it turned out but she will be quite sore for a few weeks. Unbeknown to me my phone had frozen earlier in the day and no messages had been coming through since lunch time.
A very worn male Adonis Blue?
A very worn male Adonis Blue?
A very worn female Adonis Blue?
A very worn female Adonis Blue?
Other butterflies seen durng the day were Red Admiral, Small White, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell as well as Adonis Blue and Speckled Wood Adonis and Long Tailed Blue bringing my total species count for the year to 35.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on getting the LTB :mrgreen: It must have been torturous waiting all that time but it was obviously worth it.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Lovely diary entry, Jack and I hope your wife has made a speedy recovery. I've really enjoyed all the postings about Long Tailed Blues and our efforts to see them. It's become a story about people just as much a story about butterflies.

Best wishes

Hoggers.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel and Hoggers

Thanks for the comments, definitely worth the effort for Long Tailed Blues

Friday 4.10.2013 My Local Patch

Inspired by Hoggers recent posts enthusing about his Small Coppers at Dungeness, I felt I should try and connect with my own Small Coppers. I can reliably find them along my local footpath at one particular hotspot, but never in very high numbers. Today was a little breezy and cloudy along my local footpath, but there was enough sunshine to make a visit worthwhile :D
Hotspot along my local footpath
Hotspot along my local footpath
To be honest there was not much flying, but as I approached 'the' spot I caught a Small Copper out of the corner of my eye low down on Bramble. As I approached it took to the air and flew across the path to the other side of the fence and settled down in the grass. I managed to locate it and was quite pleased to see it had a degree of blue spotting, the first I have seen with this particular colouration :D
Small Copper caeruleopunctata sheltering in the grass
Small Copper caeruleopunctata sheltering in the grass
Small Copper
Small Copper
I was not sure at the time if this was an example of the form caeruleopunctata, but I have been informed that any degree of blue falls into this category. A little further on I spotted another Small Copper again low down on Bramble. This one nectared for a while before following the first over the fence to settle down in the long grass. This one also had a degree of blue scales on its hind wings. This pattern of nectaring on Bramble and then disappearing into the long grass repeated itself several times. All in all I saw perhaps 3 or 4 Small Coppers together with a Speckled Wood and a couple of Small Whites.
Small Copper
Small Copper
Comma disappeared into this Rabbit run
Comma disappeared into this Rabbit run
Comma sheltering in a Rabbit run
Comma sheltering in a Rabbit run
My final encounter was with a Comma, another regular in this particular spot. It appeared briefly, struggling to fly in the windy conditions and promptly seemed to disappear a few metres away. Where it seemed to have disappeared there was a rabbit trail through the undergrowth. When I peered in to the tunnel in the grass, there was the Comma hanging off a blade of grass.

Saturday 12.10.2013 My Local Patch

What a difference a few days makes, weatherwise. On Monday I could have spent the day in shorts on the cliffs at Kingsdown Leas :D On Thursday I was so cold at one point at work I had numb fingers :shock: I was convinced that was the end of any butterfly weather for the year :( Today, on the weekly run to Bisopstoke for my youngest sons football training, I left my camera at home and took my umbrella. I was certain it would be more useful. When we arrived at 9am I was very surprised to see the sun coming out :D I walked my normal route, south along the Itchen way. This walk is generally unproductive butterfly wise, but there are a couple of hotspots. I headed straight for these areas. Two pristine Red Admirals graced me with their presence :D One settling on nettles in the warm sunshine. Two Speckled Wood also were enjoying the sunshine.
Later on, I was surprised to see a Peacock fluttering around the garden :D
The best I could do with my phone
The best I could do with my phone
I doubt whether many more opportunities will present themselves for butterfly watching this year :( but lets hope :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great read and photos Jack :D and it just goes to show that you should never leave your camera at home :wink: I've got to go to London tomorrow so I will leave the camera and I just know that I'll see a Camberwell Beauty :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Wurzel
Thanks for the comments

Friday 18.10.2013 How Long Will This Butterfly Season Continue :?:

At the end of my last post I said there probably would not be much more opportunity for butterfly watching......... maybe I spoke too soon :? The weather has remained mild, though it seems increasingly Autumnal. Most days there has been a little sunshine in the afternoon and Friday was much the same. After a cloudy start with some rain I hoped that the sun would appear and it did, briefly, later in the afternoon :) I was not particularly hopeful, but I need not have worried. I had not walked very far before I spotted quite a fresh looking Speckled Wood and then another :D
Speckled Wood 18.10.2013 Hedge End
Speckled Wood 18.10.2013 Hedge End
Further along in the more secluded part of the footpath yet another Speckled Wood. This one had a little damage, but was still in pretty good condition. I made my way to the hotspot at the farthest point of this footpath. The conditions, by now, had deteriorated. No sunshine at all and a stiff breeze, but I still managed to find a couple of Small Coppers :D Both nectaring on the few remaining Bramble flowers and quite lethargic. Eventually both disappeared over the wire fence into the long grass and did not reappear.
Small Copper 18.10.2013 Hedge End
No Comma, Red Admiral or Whites today. In fact I have not seen many Comma or Red Admirals at all this autumn :( This area was abundant with these two species last Autumn. This season it seems to me that the Ivy flowers are later and the Blackberries do not seem to have stayed around for as long, but maybe that is just my imagination.
Buff Ermine larvae 18.10.2013
Buff Ermine larvae 18.10.2013
At home my last 2 captive Buff Ermine larvae must be near to pupation. I am running out of suitable Virginia Creeper leaves. Most has turned red/fallen. I think I might just release these last two rather than try and keep the pupae through the winter.

I wonder if the season will stretch to another week :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Here's hoping you can wring a few more visits Jack. I checked for my Small Coppers at Larkhill on Friday and today with no joy but you never know about tomorrow...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Looks like we might still be butterflying into November!

The lastest BBC monthly forecast suggests no frost at all in the southern part of the UK, so all we need is a few sunny periods because with temperatures of 15c upwards, butterflies will certainly still be active.

The flowering ivy's late this year too, so there will be a reliable nectar source until well after Bonfire Night.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

David M wrote:Looks like we might still be butterflying into November!
Hi David

Lets hope so :D However, after what is on its way tonight I am not sure there will be much left :shock:

Sunday 27.10.2013 The Final Act?

After torrential rain and strong winds last night and the prospect for worse tonight, a cloudless sky this morning was very appealing. It was warm and sunny ,but with a strong gusty wind. I was not that hopeful and I probably mis-timed the opportunity by 20 minutes. By the time I reached the 'hotspot' it was not very hot and the clouds had started to roll in. I managed just one Red Admiral :D flying sideways in the wind.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 2.11.2013 My Local Patch

This morning, whilst my youngest was football training, it was very warm and sunny at 9am in Bishopstoke :D A walk south along the Itchen Navigation was only disrupted by one short sharp shower and A large fallen Willow tree across the footpath, one of two blown down during the recent storm.
DSCN8847 - Copy.JPG
DSCN8851 - Copy.JPG
There is one really large clump of Ivy near one of the butterfly hotspots along this path, but most of the Ivy around my neck of the woods has been very late this year, I hoped that it was properly out. After doing a bit of limbo work negotiating the fallen willow :lol: I headed straight for this Ivy clump.
DSCN8870 - Copy.JPG
As I got close there were several dragonflies in evidence, Migrant Hawkers and Darters, I hoped for at least one butterfly. When I arrived at the Ivy clump I was pleased to see that it was properly out in flower, albeit a month later than last year.
DSCN8853 - Copy.JPG
DSCN8862 - Copy.JPG
I counted 5 Red Admirals :D :D :D :D :D either nectaring or basking in the warm sunshine close by, but no other species were seen. I spent a while observing the delightful sight of several Red Admirals doing their stuff and made myself a few minutes late for getting back for my son. On the way back I also spotted my second ever Grass Snake, sunning itself by the side of the path :D I was a little too slow with my camera to get a picture before it slithered off into the grass. All in all a great November morning, hopefully there will be a few more yet :D
DSCN8863 - Copy.JPG
DSCN8867 - Copy.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

What a result, Jack!

If only it would stop raining in my part of the world I'd be out Red Admiral hunting just like you!!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up Jack - five Red Admirals in November :mrgreen: :D Ace stuff!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi David and Wurzel thanks for the comments :D

Sunday 10.11.2013

Last Sunday the weather was quite generous for November :D I searched high and low, but I only saw one butterfly flying through, along my local footpath, completely uninterested in the flowering Ivy nearby. Looking into the sun I could not tell if it was Peacock or Red Admiral. Also seen a Common Darter :D

Saturday 16.11.2013

After a frosty start, yesterday morning was a beautifully sunny :D I thought I would check out some of the local hotspots, hoping for a Red Admiral or two :wink: It was quite warm in the sheltered sunshine, but I saw no butterflies at all :( After a few frosty mornings this week and snow apparently on the way :shock: I guess that last Sundays sighting is likely to be my last of the year :(

Perhaps it is time to revisit some of this years many highlights. What a year it has been :D :D :D

Hopefully this post will not disappear after a few hours like the first attempt did :shock: :lol:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.

Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864) American writer

I spotted this other day, whilst looking for a birthday present for my mum. I picked up a book on quotations and sayings and it fell open on this page :D It brought a smile to my face :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”