Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 3.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Clouded Yellow

What a difference a year (or 9 ) makes! Last year I didn’t see a single Clouded Yellow yet this year I was spoilt for choice. I saw my first few at Stockbridge and they didn’t play ball. Then my next load were at Martine Down and I managed to get up really close to one which was battered and terribly worn. So by the time I got to Alners Gorse I reckoned that I was about due for some quality time. And so it proved to be with both male and female side on and backlit. Possibly due to the small size of the site along with the bounteous supply of nectar the Cloudies didn’t do their usual trick of flying huge distance with very brief stop offs. Instead they seemed to concentrate in an area flying only about 1 metre at most between feeding and were the most approachable I’ve found. This meant that I could get up nice and close for a few head shots including this one. It’s my favourite as you can rarely get this close to these Sulphurous speed bombs.
Clouded Yellow (Alners Gorse).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Now this was a fluke shot of form helice. I doubt if I'll ever get another one like it again, but this has raised the bar and given me a goal to reach. I can't wait for next season already - it might require some investment in better photo gear.
Chris
Attachments
crocea f. helice, Vitrolles (near Marseilles), summer 2013, Panasonic FZ150
crocea f. helice, Vitrolles (near Marseilles), summer 2013, Panasonic FZ150
David M

Post by David M »

I've only seen four in south Wales this year, so haven't had many photo opportunities.

This one is probably my favourite, with the combination of yellow flower and yellow butterfly producing a nice, warm effect. It was taken in Pontardawe, 10 miles north of Swansea, on 14th September:
1CYPtrdw(1).jpg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Chambers Farm Wood. Nice addition to a Brown Hairstreak day 14th August
Clouded Yellow 130814 078 (1).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It was an exceptional year for this species in Oxon and I enjoyed an afternoon in the 'Juniper Valley' on Aston Upthorpe Down in the company of well over a dozen individuals. They were tending to feed low down on Dwarf Thistles, Clover, and the like, so it was hard to get a photo free of foreground 'clutter'. The summery brilliance of this shot recalls a splendid day.
Aston Upthorpe Down, Oxon - 27th August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/1000s@f/5.6 ISO400
Aston Upthorpe Down, Oxon - 27th August 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/1000s@f/5.6 ISO400
Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

This year, not only did I take my first ever Clouded Yellow photos, I also saw more than I have ever seen before, mostly in Dorset when I was there in the first week of September :D

My first one however was an unexpected but very welcome surprise whilst I was up at Arnside for a few days in early August and for that reason is a bit special for me.
Clouded Yellow - Arnside 07.08.2013
Clouded Yellow - Arnside 07.08.2013
A month later I was in Dorset for a week and saw loads of Clouded Yellows, especially around Osmington and Ringstead Bay...
Clouded Yellow - Ringstead Bay 05.09.2013
Clouded Yellow - Ringstead Bay 05.09.2013
...including the pair below seen at Osmington Mills, the female of which was a helice, one of three of these that I saw during the week.
Clouded Yellow pair - Osmington Mills 03.09.2013
Clouded Yellow pair - Osmington Mills 03.09.2013
Whilst in Dorset I took a drive up to Alners Gorse where I saw more Clouded Yellows...
Clouded Yellow - Alners Gorse 04.09.2013
and had a go at taking some backlit shots...
I wasn't going to post the following shot again having already posted it in my personal diary a couple of times but although it is not a particularly good photo, it is a favourite of mine...lets face it, how often am I likely to get four Clouded Yellows in one shot :D
Clouded Yellows - White Horse Hill 05.09.2013
Clouded Yellows - White Horse Hill 05.09.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well, certainly a good year for this species, and not over yet by all accounts.

Without going looking for them at all, they appeared for me on my local patch both at the start of August and then in mid-September, and also turned up not far away at Bedfont Lakes Country Park. I also encountered a good number at Aston Rowant mixed with a myriad of other butterflies, and came across another down at Studland in Dorset.

My favourites have to be the first and the last, both local to me - and as I posted at the time, I like to believe that the former was the mother of the latter.
Female Clouded Yellow 4th August
Female Clouded Yellow 4th August
Male Clouded Yellow 24th September
Male Clouded Yellow 24th September
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I must admit this year was great for CYP as every one agree's but I have to stick with my opened winged one for my favourite this year because it was an unexpected suprise :D

I took the photo at Temple Ewell, Kent and I really do hope we get another Summer next year like we've had this year, I also can't resist putting another photo in as well just because it's a treat to see these Butterflies in such numbers like we did Goldie :D
Attachments
Clouded Yellow TEW 28th AUgust 2013 IMG_2853.JPG
Clouded Yellow TEW 28th August 2013 IMG_2854.JPG
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I only managed two shots of CYs during this exceptional summer, but I like them both equally so can't choose a favourite:

Cherry Hinton, Cambs, 23-Aug

Therfield Heath, Herts, 31-Aug
nomad

Post by nomad »

It was nice to see these butterflies again on the Wiltshire Downs in 2013, the year before I perhaps saw one in a lowland area. The two images here are of females, one rested in a heavy rain shower among the leaves of a Woolly-headed Thistle where she was perfectly camouflaged.
Female feeding near Shipton Bellinger in Wiltshire.
Female feeding near Shipton Bellinger in Wiltshire.
Female resting in Calstone Coombes, Wilts.
Female resting in Calstone Coombes, Wilts.
John W

Post by John W »

Some great pictures above. This one is my favourite simply because it's the only one I saw stationary and able to be photographed! It was at Kithurst Hill on the 11th August. It had been flying around at top speed for a while but then the sun went in and it dropped out of the sky, luckily the friend I was with saw it land. When I posted it before there was some talk that it might be a helice because it's quite lemon in colour.
Clouded Yellow @ Kithurst Hill.jpg
Cheers
John
CFB

Post by CFB »

My first sighting this year in the Alpes-Maritimes was in mid-April. There were still some around on October 31.

I like this one particularly for the colours of both the butterfly and the ciste:
IMG_6836.JPG
I've seen and photographed several f. helice including this one:
IMG_8825.JPG
--
Colin
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Beautiful photos Colin, and both of them being so fresh. :D

All the best, Nick.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks Nick.
--
Best regards,
Colin
Susie

Post by Susie »

I have Colin Knight to thank for pointing me in the right direction to find clouded yellow at Kithurst Hill and achieve my 43 species in my butterfly challenge :)
1148960_10151840755711972_2065237273_n.jpg
1148960_10151840755711972_2065237273_n.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Something completely different, but one of my favourite photos i have taken this year.
Clouded Yellow just emerged 001-7_1_1.jpg
William

Post by William »

That's a wonderful shot Hideandseek, I spent a lot of time searching in vain for Clouded Yellow ova, hoping to rear some, but despite spending several afternoons following females from a distance, I had no luck - very jealous :D !
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your kind comment William, appreciated. :D I was lucky enough to have reared this particular individual, and have photographed the life cycle of the Clouded Yellow from the ovum to the emergence of the butterfly, in this case a female. it was such a wonderful experience and hopefully one you will get to observe in the near future. I will be posting the photos of the event in my personal diary as soon as i have finished sorting them all out.

All the best, Nick.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lots of great close-ups of clouded yellows posted here - not least Nick's pupal case - so here's something different. I photographed this one on the Suffolk coast, with Scots pines and a Martello tower in the distance, on 6th September:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Clouded Yellow”