Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

I am not absolute sure what they all are. I think this is right, but would be grateful of correction if wrong.

1. Amanita citrina
2. Fly agaric
3. Cep (Penny Bun)
4. Yellow-cracked Bolete Boletus subtomentosus
5. Smooth Earthball Scleroderma verrucosum
6. Fly agaric
7. Common Earthball Sclerodema citrinum
Last edited by Susie on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

1375780_10151943120616972_1754534149_n.jpg
Amethyst Deceiver?

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Wow Susie, they are great examples of Fungi, we don't have a variety as good as that in my local area so I'm enjoying your photos :D
Thanks, these are just snaps taken with my phone as I only went out to walk the dog and not to take photos but they were too good to pass up.

Susie

Post by Susie »

padfield wrote:Lovely pictures, Susie! The penny bun makes me feel quite hungry ...

Guy
Thanks, Guy. :D I didn't even know for sure what it was until I got home. I thought there must be some edible fungi on the site though as a few days before when I was walking the woofer I was greeted by a couple of eastern European gentlemen with carrier bags full of something which it looked like they had collected so I assumed there must be something edible about other than blackberries. People from other countries seem so good at foraging and in England if it doesn't come from a supermarket wrapped in plastic we won't touch it :lol:

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Susie wrote:
Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Wow Susie, they are great examples of Fungi, we don't have a variety as good as that in my local area so I'm enjoying your photos :D
Thanks, these are just snaps taken with my phone as I only went out to walk the dog and not to take photos but they were too good to pass up.
Mobile phones have pretty good cameras these days, my phone is terrible at it though. I agree they are far too good to pass up I would stop to take a photo of those too :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

They don't fly for starters, that's got to be good :lol:

When you're trying to keep your eye on a nut job of a dog having a static subject is a bonus.

Billy Bob Nut-Job Dog at the woods

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 5178742466

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Apart from the fly agaric and cep, I'm not confident identifying these just from photos, Susie. With boletes I always cut the flesh and taste and smell them, and I've never really mastered Amanita. I don't eat any Amanita species so don't pick them. Earthballs are inedible/toxic too so these tend to get passed over just as 'earthballs' too. There are so many thousands of mushrooms I tend to concentrate on the ones I can fry up with garlic and onions (which is a lot of species - including almost all boletes).

If you've never tasted fresh ceps (penny buns) straight from the woods, go back tomorrow and search some out! There's nothing like them!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Guy :D

I am reasonably confident with the earthballs because of where they were located (in different types of woodland). The Amanita was identified by someone else for me.

I'll have to go back and see if there are any ceps left. If there are lots I will take one to try it. Thanks.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

PS - sorry to butt in again, Susie, but when I was in Suffolk in September, huge parasol mushrooms were sprouting up all over the place:

These are super-delicious fried flat and whole (the caps) and eaten on toast for breakfast - saved me a few ££ while I was there!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

It's good to have your comments, Guy! :D Nice looking parasol, now I know where there were lots of those but I have not considered eating them before. :shock:

Susie

Post by Susie »

Today was a very memorable day. I met up with some UKB'ers briefly at the AES exhibition at Kempton Park, got myself a copy of Butterflies of Surrey Revisited which I am looking forward to reading (and got it signed too - thank you for that if you are reading this! :D ) and also bought a signed Lewington print. I've lost count now of the number of times I've been to the AES exhibition but it's always a curious mix of people but meeting the people from here is always a highlight for me. After the AES I went to rehersals before dancing in a belly dancing show tonight. Definitely a day of extremes. Am now shattered :lol:
1376996_10151966072576972_1884087801_n.jpg

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Susie,
After the butterfly season it is logical to venture into the world of fungi.They make super subjects for photography.I agree with all your identifications except the bolete.To me it looks like the bay bolete-B.badius.I am posting-for interest-a few shapes that fungi can assume,so that you don't miss too many.I am very lucky having Hambledon Common and The Hurst within dog walking distance.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Rare-found around old pine fires.The pine fire fungus
Rare-found around old pine fires.The pine fire fungus
On deciduous-very rare.The pine form common.The cauliflower fungus
On deciduous-very rare.The pine form common.The cauliflower fungus
A few around.The zoned rosette fungus
A few around.The zoned rosette fungus
The pestle puffball.
The pestle puffball.
A young one.Beefsteak fungus
A young one.Beefsteak fungus
An individual in my garden.A pinkgill
An individual in my garden.A pinkgill
Unmistakable before they open-the lawyer's wig.
Unmistakable before they open-the lawyer's wig.
A delicate inkcap
A delicate inkcap
This is a Myxomycete-an animal that moves like amoeba.The pink one engulfed the yellow one!
This is a Myxomycete-an animal that moves like amoeba.The pink one engulfed the yellow one!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Philip, your photos are great and very interesting. I did take s load more photos last week but hesitated to post them here as I didn't want to post even more off topic stuff :)

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Susie,
I know-I think we are near to dangerous territory,and Pete might get cross! I have followed up Mike Oxon's suggestion and use the Wild about Britain website,Fungal section.I ignore their sections on Birds and Butterflies for obvious reasons.
One needs a working knowledge of poisonous plants and fungi for vet.college,both for their own properties and the drugs they contain.
Here is a poisonous plant growing wild in my son's garden that is poisonous and magical.
P.J.U.
Attachments
This is Indian pokeweed,a very unusual plant.The seeds probably dropped by migrating birds
This is Indian pokeweed,a very unusual plant.The seeds probably dropped by migrating birds

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Sorry to chip in on your diary Susie, but PJU's plant is exactly what I've been trying to identify. I found some on common land in Cambridge a few weeks ago and had no idea what they were. If Indian Pokeweed is not native, are they notifiable? - ie should they be reported to someone I wonder?

Trev

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Trev,
One has to ask a County recorder.It would also be necessary to determine whether it is Chinese,American or Indian Pokeweed,so I was advised.There probably isn't a county record for it.I am sticking with acinosa for mine.
It is interesting what pops up on U.K.butterflies.
P.J.U.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

posting non butterfly pictures? tut tut . wouldn't catch me doing such a thing :lol:

Susie

Post by Susie »

I probably will post more later in the year when the diaries are quieter as I need to have some of the fungi identified :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

I went to the Southwick site today in West Sussex to look for long tailed blues. When I arrived I was greeted by Sussex Kipper, there were also several other people on site. Despite searching and conditions being not bad at all we didn't find any. There were good numbers of clouded yellows around and many photo opportunities presented themselves but I had my puppy with me and he had a knack of either disturbing the butterfly or when I said "sit" sitting between my camera lens and the subject :roll: I was watching a clouded yellow egg laying and managed to get a ropey shot (which normally would have gone in the bin but it was all I managed so beggers can't be choosers!) and when trying to get in close I saw something fly up from and over the privet - I am certain it was a long tailed blue! However, for the rest of my time on site I didn't see it again and to my knowledge no one else did either.

Butterflies that were also seen were red admiral, small copper, large white.

It was good to see some familiar faces again and meet some new ones :)
1379908_10151972489111972_1083956830_n.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Susie wrote: I was watching a clouded yellow egg laying and managed to get a ropey shot
Are those a couple of eggs visible in the picture, Susie, down in the bottom right quarter?

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”