Chamonix (French Alps) - Part 4

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
kevling

Chamonix (French Alps) - Part 4

Post by kevling »

Next day took us to Lac Vert, at the far western end of the Chamonix valley. At 1250m, it's more meadows and forest compared to the rocky landscape thus far. Needless to say the number of species increased as a result. There were a number of different fritillaries present.
First up was High Brown Fritillary.
High Brown Frit 1.jpg
High Brown Frit 2.jpg
Close by were a good number of Silver washed, both male and female. Particular liked the photo I got of a flyby.
SWF 3.jpg
SWF 2.jpg
SWF 1.jpg
The next Frit has me completely puzzled. It was the clearest one I photographed all holiday, but I cannot decide what it is. Any help appreciated please (got upper and underside shots)
Frit Q - 2.jpg
Frit Q - 1.jpg
In the woodland edge were large numbers of browns. Due to the excessice heat, they were not holding still for long, making photography tricky. Amongst those seen were Meadow Brown, Arran Brown, Ringlet and Alpine Heaths.
I did manage photos of Large Wall Brown and I believe Scotch Argus.
Large Wall Brown 2.jpg
Large Wall Brown 1.jpg
Scotch Argus.jpg
As we headed thorugh the woods to Lac Vert itself, it was nice to see some Brimstones.
Brimstone.jpg
Lac Vert is truly magnificent. Surrounded by trees the mid afternoon sun reflects Mont Blanc on to the water and at the water's edge I found blues drinking from the puddles. This Damon Blue was a particularly nice find.
Damon Blue 2.jpg
Damon Blue 1.jpg
Also present were Chalkhill Blues.
Chalkhill Blue.jpg
Last but not least were a couple of skippers. I think the first two photos are of a Large Grizzled Skipper (same butterfly) and possibly a Grizzled Skipper for the third. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Large Grizzled Skipper 1.jpg
Large Grizzled Skipper 2.jpg
Grizzled Skipper.jpg
Kind Regards
Kevin
Roger Gibbons

Re: Chamonix (French Alps) - Part 4

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I can't see any reason why your fritillary is not Heath (athalia). The options at this altitude are Meadow (parthenoides) and Provencal (dejone) and there are good reasons why it is neither of these.

Your third Pyrgus looks good for Oberthur's (armoricanus).

Return to “Overseas”