Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: hideandseek

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nice work Nick! These would make a good addition to the species-specific albums; I honestly didn't realise how different this instar was - good stuff!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks Pete, :D and will add to species-specific albums later.

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

At last.................

After a five year wait, i have actually seen a summer brood Peacock. :D Well, quite a few now, sometimes seeing up to five in one visit to my local patch. Today , the 10th August one of these beautiful butterflies sat still long enough for me to photograph it,............at last........... :D
10.8.2013 CW 035_1_2.jpg

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Very nice Nick - and pin sharp!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great photo Nick, glad you got one at last :D

I reckon you just made it in time. This seems to have been a good year for Peacocks with large numbers seen around most of the country but this past week numbers by me have dropped considerably as they have filled up their reserves and started tucking themselves away for hibernation.

All the best,

Neil F.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your kind comments Pete and Neil. :D :D Well worth the wait, but i hope its not going to be another five year wait for my next photo. :roll:

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

hideandseek wrote:Well worth the wait, but i hope its not going to be another five year wait for my next photo.
I can't believe you've waited that long for a summer Peacock.

What part of the country are you in, Nick?

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

David, it has been five years since i last took a picture of a summer Peacock, i checked my diary, and i can also remember exactly where i photographed the butterfly. :D They are in very short supply where i live,[ close to the Surrey, Sussex border] in the spring i know a place very close to home where i can always see one or two, but then they seem to disappear into thin air, why i have no idea as there are large areas with Nettles all around here. This year has been an excellent one for these butterflies, and so i finally got my opportunity. The Peacock is what i call a wandering butterfly, one that can turn up anywhere at any given time, so thats what i was waiting for............no rush...... :roll: :wink:

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for that, Nick. I thought at first you might live in a more butterfly-bereft area, but given your location I'm now even more surprised.

I'm aware Small Tortoiseshells are scarce in some parts of the south east, but I'd always thought Peacocks were fairly common everywhere.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Nick really glad you got it :D And with that shot it was totally worth the wait

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Wurzel for your kind comments, :D now all i need is an opened wing shot of a Small Tortoiseshell, i still have my stilts just in case they are needed. :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

11th August
It was another visit to my local patch again today but, not to try for another photo of a Peacock, don`t like to push my luck, :wink: but just because i enjoy it and, love photographing the butterflies here. Its like a second home to me, and so peaceful, rarely seeing another sole, and you just don`t know what hidden surprises there are around any given corner, like this male Brimstone.....
11.8.2013 CW 046_2.jpg
...and then when i got home [my first home] i watched a female Small White lay this egg on one of my wife`s garden plants...
11.8.2013 Small White ovum, garden, 049.jpg
...see even my wife is giving a helping hand towards nature, even though she does`nt realize it.... :wink:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Brimstone shots, together they make a nice pairing, either end of the lifecycle :D If your wife wanted to help out a bit more she could always hold/steady your stilts :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks again for your kind comments Wurzel. :D :D I needed those stilts today for a couple of high shots of some larva, but forgot to bring them with me, so i asked a complete stranger if he would`nt mind if i got up on his shoulders to take a few pics, you can guess what his reply was, ....... ....... ...... :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

11th August, continued.....

A return trip to my local patch mid afternoon brought me three more Clouded Yellows, :D but they were not playing ball in the hot sunny conditions. Flying from one flower head to another at high speed, nectaring for a few seconds before flying off again to the next feeding post with me in hot pursuit, but failing to keep up. :roll: But i never give up.......and eventually i caught up, the butterfly probably seeing the state i was in, on my hands and knees, :wink: and feeling sorry for me reduced it`s speed and allowed me a couple of shots before taking to the wing at brakeneck speed once again..........
11.8.2013 CW 071-3_1_1.jpg
11.8.2013 CW 071-1_1.jpg
11.8.2013 CW 072-2_1.jpg
11.8.2013 CW 071-2_1.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

That was well worth the effort, Nick - what a beautiful insect superbly captured.

Dave

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

She's a stunner, Nick.

Great work. I particularly like the first close up ...

Kindest regards. Mark

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic detail Nick :mrgreen: :D I sometimes think that Butterflies do just toy with us :? ...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Dave, Mark and Wurzel for your very kind and generous comments, really appreciated. :D :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great photos of the Clouded Yellow Nick, and the Brimstone and egg in the earlier post, excellent stuff :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Return to “Personal Diaries”