Skipper help please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
legless2007

Skipper help please

Post by legless2007 »

Hi

I wonder if anyone has the time to give me a skipper tutorial please? The photos here are of one individual. I think its a Small rather than Essex but it doesn't match the descriptions/ pictures of either exactly in any of my books (pesky living creatures not looking exactly like the pictures).

Can anyone confirm what she is (I think its female) and which features on this individual tell you that please? I couldn't get an open wing shot but one does show a fair bit of upperside.

Thank you in advance for your help

Jo
Attachments
skipperwing.jpg
200713-10.jpg
200713-09.jpg
200713-08.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Skipper help please

Post by Padfield »

That is an Essex skipper. Several features combine to confirm this.

The last picture shows sooty black all around the antennal tips. A small skipper would show at least hints of buff or reddish in this picture, which is well taken to illustrate the point!

The second picture shows little demarcation between grey and buff at the apex of the forewing underside. This is a helpful but not definitive indication of Essex. In the third picture an artefact makes it look as though the apex is greyer than it really is.

The first picture shows the 'burnt' margins extending inwards along the veins. This is also helpful but not definitive. Small skipper is typically much 'cleaner' around the margins, but may also show these lines.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
legless2007

Re: Skipper help please

Post by legless2007 »

Thank you so much Guy, that is really helpful and makes perfect sense.

Jo

Return to “Identification”