June 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: June 2013

Post by Jack Harrison »

Those Black Hairstreaks are beautifully fresh. Note the date: end of June 2013. Two years ago in the same spot they were in that fresh condition at the end of May.

Sums up the season. Better late than never.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:Those Black Hairstreaks are beautifully fresh. Note the date: end of June 2013. Two years ago in the same spot they were in that fresh condition at the end of May.
Sums up the season. Better late than never.
Jack
Yes - very late and nearer the traditional timings of 20 years ago. Messes-up my calculations for PEs tho!
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Alexc

Post by Alexc »

a short (20 mins) walk along the lower S - facing slope of Fontmell Down yesterday produced a few adonis blues with common blue and brown argus, as well as many dark green fritillarys and small heaths. This was a casual watch without counting numbers or looking too hard for species, but there were very many butterflies evident all over the slopes.
Alex
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Heath Fritillary 130630 056S.jpg
Heath Fritillary 130630 119S.jpg
Heath Fritillary 130630 102S.jpg
Heath Fritillary 130630 104S.jpg
Heath Fritillary seen in their 100s today at Little Haven Nature Reserve in South Essex.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Heath Fritillary seen [by Phil] in their 100s today at Little Haven Nature Reserve in South Essex
Again (ref my earlier comment about “98% reduction” of Black Hairstreak in 2012) it is clearly wrong to take the data from just one year in isolation. I don’t know how Heath Frit did in 2012 (not too well I would imagine) but here we have a most positive report in 2013. This sort of bounce-back really does make me wonder whether “local extinctions” really are what they would seem to be. I’m not suggesting that Large Copper still hangs on in the Fens more than 150 years since the last sighting, but I had always wondered whether our British Large Blue really did become extinct. Wasn’t there a report from (an undisclosed) locality in North Cornwall a few years ago where there certainly had been no re-introductions?

Maybe I’m too much of an optimist but I don’t think we should give up quite so easily and declare “all is lost”.

Jack
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

As I have posted before it is astonishing that often when a butterfly has had a " good year " it is immediately following a " bad year " and of course the butterflies in the " good year " have come from eggs laid in the " bad year " .
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:
s?
Maybe I’m too much of an optimist but I don’t think we should give up quite so easily and declare “all is lost”.
Jack
Like many organisations, "big" numbers get the attention, even if they are not used in context. One year, as we know, is useless to draw any sensible conclusions from; transect and other data, the best we have, does not necessarily show the true picture. It often shows the limitations of the data. I guess you have to have a grasp of the bigger picture to make sense of any proclamation......
Reminds me of the corporates I used to work for - depending on which group you were working with, they wanted "big" numbers to show investors how well they were performing or if it were for the competition authorities, then the numbers they wanted for their share were much smaller! I guess to get the headlines, big declines help make the case to get more money and gain attention for the declining populations of our butterflies - not a bad thing!
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally saw three silver-studded blues at Purdis Heath, Ipswich today.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Heath Fritillary seen [by Phil] in their 100s today at Little Haven Nature Reserve in South Essex
Its pleasing that is the case as today at East Blean Woods around the car park area all I could find was 11 individuals. The weather was hot (25 degrees) and little wind, so numbers should have been good. This was in the cut area north of the car park and along the ride into the wood. Last years excellent area to the west of the car park is overgrown. Hopefully more will emerge, otherwise East Blean is going to be well down on numbers compared to last year.

Update. I hope that he does not mind me pinching his information, but I see on fellow member Marc Heaths own web site that he saw 40 around the reserve on Saturday in other freshly cut areas. This is better than I thought, but still down on last year.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

A great butterflying weekend. We spent Friday evening in the Hunters Inn, Heddon Valley, Exmoor. I had 3 pints of the ferociously strong, but delicious Exmoor Beast, and the finest burger I have ever had. An invite into a friendly(ish) poker tournament was eagerly accepted. I ended up as " the bubble" - i.e. the last person out of the game before the prize money starts. Not bad seeing as I had never played with any of them before. I shall return - revenge is sweet.
A long walk was called for the next morning - partly to burn off the calories of all that beer and burger, but mostly to get rid of the small but significant hangover.
We headed out off a few valleys inland of the pub seeing our first ringlet of the year, some Meadow Browns, a few Small Heath and assorted whites. We ended up going out on the Ladies Mile. Arriving at the combe area, we saw a very tatty Small Pearl - the first of 5 frits this weekend! A fly-past High Brown was a delight. Then we met a couple of other butterfliers who gave us directions to a hot spot I hadn't been to before. We eventually found it after a couple of wrong turns. It was excellent. A wet stream side meadow full of head high cow parsley and thistle with my first Silver Washed, a handful of Dark Green, and a couple of High Browns. I became besotted with one particularly heavily marked DG, and discovered later that I had taken hardly any shots of the HBs!
We ended up back at the pub, and decided on an ice cream rather than more beer. Next we drove out to Haddon Hill for Heath Frits. True to form I found 7 males in total, all fairly restless, but no females to keep them grounded.
Back at the van I asked the question "where next?" Rose asked if the Large Blues were out in Somerset yet?
I didn't need the suggestion twice, and within seconds the van was heading for Street where we spent a quiet night in the car park.
Early morning walk up to the quarry area at Collard Hill was delightful, but being overcast and windy had me a bit concerned. Some excellent Orchids were compensation though - Bee, Wasp, Butterfly (lesser?) Pyramidal and Twayblade.
Eventually one LB showed well near the Eastern clearing giving the assembled enthusiasts some good views and photos.
Whilst I was lying down photographing the Bee Orchid, a gruff voice called out - "Is that you Harding"
It was my friend the excellent Colin Bowler. He had come down for the day with some friends from Derby. One of them (Mike?) had some Clearwing pheromones, very quickly we had up to 7 male Six Belted Clearwings frustratedly exploring the stopper from the bottle. A treat for me as I had never seen these before.
A second LB was sighted and gave the dozen or so present great views again. Also on the hill were Marbled Whites, Small Torts, Meadow Brown, Small Heath and Large Skipper. A very tatty Common blue got us a bit excited for about half a nanosecond.
Then it was back home to start packing for my trip to Bulgaria next weekend
Attachments
It's just to the left of the thyme - you MUST be able to see it!!
It's just to the left of the thyme - you MUST be able to see it!!
LB - one of the few pictures without a grass stem across the butterfly!!
LB - one of the few pictures without a grass stem across the butterfly!!
Six Belted Clearwing - wow
"Is that you Harding?"
"Is that you Harding?"
LB - Worth the trip
LB - Worth the trip
HF - A brief rest during the incessant hunt for females.
HF - A brief rest during the incessant hunt for females.
DGF - what a cracker this is!
DGF - what a cracker this is!
DGF - Graphic image
DGF - Graphic image
SWF - Cracking male - first of the year
SWF - Cracking male - first of the year
HBF - not enough photos taken due to the lovely DGF
HBF - not enough photos taken due to the lovely DGF
Cheers

Roger
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Great story Roger. If only I could say the same!! Never mind. Due to issues all I managed was a short trip to High and Over where my first Marbled Whites of the season were seen. Also in the sea mist that had unfortunately reduced the temperature several Small Tortoiseshell were happy nectaring on the bramble flowers. Small numbers of Small, Adonis and Common Blue. The late form of Burnt Orchids are also now coming into flower with 56 seen. All this followed a moth trap overnight where a few hawks and masses of common moths were caught.
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
Burnt Orchid
Burnt Orchid
Lime, Small Elephant and Privet Hawks
Lime, Small Elephant and Privet Hawks
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Had a trip to Norfolk in the week to see Swallowtails for the first time. First stop was,of course, Strumpshaw Fen and a Marsh Harrier swooped low over the car park as we arrived. Quickly getting our bearings we headed for th doctors garden where we were greeted by my first and second ever swallowtails and hoards of small tortoiseshells. Following Niels advice we moved away from the crowds for the small area of waste ground father up the track. A quick scout around revealed little except for an apparent green veined white. With no swallowtails we retraced our steps and the GVW took off to reveal itself as a Helice clouded yellow - another first. That will teach me to look more closely :D
We retired to the car for lunch and were entertained by two more swallowtails as we sat in the car park.
Then off to How Hill. This was much more natural and we spent a lovely hour in the reserve watching several pristine swallowtails glide around the thistles and yellow flag. We also spent some time in one of the hides watching the young Avocets which was areal treat. How Hill can be thoroughly recommended just a lovely location.
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
RobS

Post by RobS »

Got into my old rusty Merc and headed up the M40 to Whitecross Green Wood in the hope of having my first encounter with Black Hairstreak.The clouds had all burnt off by the time i reached the car park and conditions were looking good apart from a little breeze.Heading down the main path,and nearly tripping over the chain on the floor, i was soon able to see 2 or 3 butterflies high in the bushes on the right.Further investigation with my binoculars soon confirmed that they were indeed my quarry for the day ,Black Hairstreak, and only 100 yards from the car park.It was going to be a good day.They were too far away to photograph so i stayed and watched them for 15 mins before heading off.It was still before ten oclock and i had a whole wood to explore.
Walking down the first ride revealed large Skipper and Marbled White (just the one) and a couple of Common Blue.
Having not been to the site before i was unsure as to the whereabouts of the pond areas where i had read was good for BH.I decided to follow another walker with a camera(i dont think he saw me) in the hope that he knew where he was going.Luckily he did and we ended up in the area where i was to spend the next few hours...by the ponds and on the main ride next to them.Initially it was fleeting glimpses we were treated to,high up in the Blackthorn,but later they seemed to be getting lower and i was able to take a few photos.At this point there were a few people gathered and i made the aquaintance of DavidM and Willrow,both from Wales for the day,amongst others.Nice to meet you fellas!!! BH eventually decided to give us a show and descended to a level where they were able to have various black plastic and glass objects thrust at them.At one point it did seem that they were flitting about everywhere.It was estimated there were about 10 in that small area alone.
After davidm and willrow had retired to Bernwood for more of the same i was treated to a low female who was ovi-positing(sounds like i know what im talking about..?)Well,she was egg laying anyway...the first time i have ever seen a butterfly doing this.Amazing.
I was later joined by Millerd, who didnt recognise me immediately because of my lack of hat...something that im now regretting due to a very red head.He had come from Essex where he had been watching Heath Frits.He obviously runs a car less thirsty than my green hearse.Hats off to Millerd !!!!!
Just before i left him to it a Silver washed frit flew past down the ride in a big hurry.I believe other people had seen one too but no one had seen White Admiral.Give it another week or two.I certainly dont think ill be going to Alice Holt tomorrow for SWF and WA as was the plan.
So a great day in the sun and another new species for me to add to my list.
Whitecross Blackstreak 2 bdr rz.jpg
If you see a bald guy with a burnt head acting strangely in the woods....its probably me.

cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking shot Rob - I really must sort out a visit somewhere next year for them :mrgreen: All I could muster was 2 Small Heaths and a tatty male Common Blue somewhere in Hampshire where I didn't have any luck finding my target species as it's too late now :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Lots of fresh Small Tortoiseshells around this weekend :D Plenty seen at several places locally. Along my local footpath they have started to emerge in the last couple of days. Also seen my first Ringlet of the year today and first Meadow Browns yesterday. Still plenty of Brimstone around at my local site, though some were on their last legs. Also still some Grizzled Skipper, Dingy Skipper and a Green Hairstreak. Several very fresh Dark Green Fritillary seen at my 'new' local site as well. Details in my diary when time permits :D
David M

Post by David M »

Picked Willrow (Bill) up from Ebbw Vale at 7.50 this morning and we arrived at Whitecross Green Wood just before 10.30.

Was nice to meet Rob at the pond - did a good deal with him, I swapped two quick sprays of Deet for for a two thirds full canister of Avon Skinsoft, which is considered to be an excellent biting insect repellant (I'll put that to the test at Alun Valley in the next couple of weeks!)

First time I've seen Black Hairstreaks, and boy were they frustrating for the first hour! It's hard to say how many we saw; I saw three in the air at once whilst positioned slightly behind the blackthorn line in the pond area, whilst simultaneously others were tracking two on the other side.

By the entrance path to the pond there was also quite a bit of activity, certainly a minimum of three different individuals seen and maybe as many as six. One was a pristine female on an egg-laying mission and it was she who provided the best photo opportunities.

Bill and I headed off to Bernwood after 3 hours, principally to see if there were any Marbled Whites in the meadow. There weren't, but we spotted two more Black Hairstreaks in the compensation area by the M40 motorway at the far end of the forest.

Cracking day, with a lot of effort and dedication put in by all.

Other butterflies seen were Speckled Woods in their dozens, Meadow Browns in decent numbers, a couple of Ringlets, a handful of GV and Small Whites, the occasional Large Skipper, a geriatric Small Copper and an elderly female Brimstone.

RobS

Post by RobS »

Was nice to meet Rob at the pond - did a good deal with him, I swapped two quick sprays of Deet for for a two thirds full canister of Avon Skinsoft, which is considered to be an excellent biting insect repellant (I'll put that to the test at Alun Valley in the next couple of weeks!)
it was more like three quarters :lol:
anyway...let me know if it works.

Absolutely cracking shot Rob - I really must sort out a visit somewhere next year for them All I could muster was 2 Small Heaths and a tatty male Common Blue somewhere in Hampshire where I didn't have any luck finding my target species as it's too late now
thanks wurzel.I guess this site is the closest to where you live...and definitely worth a visit.similar to Bentley in many respects ie its a wood with butterflies in it :lol: you know what i mean.
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Had not used one of my old cars for a few weeks but, needing one with a Tow Bar, checked the tyres on my Rover 620ti before the trip to recover an old MG. My tyre check revealed this poor unfortunate creature on one of the alloy wheel rims. See attached. Well, it was nearly a butterfly.

The little old MG was safely recovered to my home in Gloucestershire from deepest Zummerset using a substantial A-Frame. A most enjoyable and productive round trip with very little traffic on the roads. Cannot remember UK roads so deserted recently ~ a sign of the times. The nation must be skint! Also attached an image of the tow set up.

Painted Lady, far fewer Speckled Woods than usual, all three common whites the only species seen in the garden recently. Poor show in the garden for best part of a month now but very good showing of Holly Blues last month. I'll have to check the Holly Berries on the small branches of the neighbour's bush hanging over the wall. That bush usually produces a few Holly Blue larvae.
Attachments
Parasitised Large White Butterfly Larva 25th june 2013..JPG
Collecting the MGF 25th June 2013 007.JPG
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “Sightings”