Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by MikeOxon »

Mark Colvin wrote:I do possess a Canon 7D and all the extras to go with it
Wot :!: Including the Canon EF 200-400mm f4 L IS USM? - a snip at only £12,000 :shock:

Mike

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Well not all the extras ...

Though knowing your interest in photography Mike, you'd probably need a lie down and a stiff drink if I listed them all :wink:

I couldn't do that to you, so I won't :lol: :lol: :lol:

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks, Mark. I expect I would find your macro gear over-exciting :lol:

Mike

greenanrol

Post by greenanrol »

Just looking through your pictures today - absolutely brilliant. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Do you play around with the white balance on pics or do you use the camera supplied settings?

I also have the FZ 45 but my pics are nowhere near the same true colour as yours! Any tips ?

Greenanrol

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Greenarol.

Thank you for your kind comments :D :D :D

You don't mention whether you use your FZ45 with the dedicated close-up lens (DMW-LC55) and adaptor (DMW-LA5)? Without these items I wouldn't get the same close-up results and neither will you. I like to keep things as simple as possible with regards to camera settings. I shoot Aperture Priority 100% of the time and tend to generally shoot between f4 and f6.3. In relation to your question about White Balance, I shoot AWB. I normally stop down on the Exposure by either a third or two thirds, though this does vary and can be more depending on the colour of the subject and ambient light conditions.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards. Mark
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

World Oceans Day, 8 June 2013

An important message ...

In June 1992, over 150 Heads of States signed the Convention on Biological Diversity at Rio de Janeiro. They did so to express a shared belief that action must be taken to halt the worldwide loss of animal and plant species and genetic resources. World Oceans Day was first declared as 8th June at the Earth Summit. Today, the 8th June, I attended the annual Adur World Oceans Day environmental exhibition in Shoreham, West Sussex. The exhibition, along with others around the world, is held as an important reminder of the environmental commitments made at the Summit. At today's event, I joined up with Colin Knight, and my daughter Charlotte, to man a stand on behalf of Sussex Butterfly Conservation. Colin had done an outstanding job in both organizing and preparing an excellent display; and also setting up the stand before I arrived. The excellent weather ensured a really good turnout with many people stopping at our exhibit, especially children. This was extremely gratifying as we are keen to promote butterflies and moths to the younger generation in order for them to continue the important conservation work we are so passionate about. In addition to our own stand, there were exhibits by the Sussex Wildlife Trust, Friends of Shoreham Beach, with their important message that 'Beach Litter Kills Wildlife', Widewater Lagoon LNR, Southwick Camera Club and my favourite, Steve Savage’s marine conservation exhibit featuring the Adventures of Ed the Bear, which puts across an extremely important environmental message. I urge you to visit Ed’s blog:

http://adventuresofedthebear.blogspot.co.uk
UKBP1050703edit.jpg
In addition to the environmental exhibitors we shared the marquee with local food and drink producers. Sussex band, Rough Chowder, playing to a backdrop of the River Adur, presented a lively repertoire of traditional and revamped Cajun, Zydeco and Swamp Blues with a heady mix of rockabilly thrown in for good measure. I personally judged the event to be a great success and one to which I would definitely return.

A selection of future BC members below ...
UKBP1050706edit.jpg
UKBP1050735edit.jpg
UKBP1050727edit.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Good stuff Mark. It's great to see the rewards of the hard work that you and Colin put in. It's always difficult to get people to represent us at these events, so it makes a welcome change to see a well presented BC Sussex stall. Nice to see Charlotte helping out too.
BWs, Neil

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Neil.

It was a very rewarding day ...

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 10 June 2013

Topping up the tan.

A male Grizzly takes in the afternoon sun ...
UKBP1140781grizzledskippermale.jpg
UKBP1140830grizzledskippermale.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 24 June 2013

Family commitments ...

For various reasons that I will not bore you with, I have been rather quiet recently on the personal diary front. This is likely to continue for some time though, rest assured, I will still be popping in from time to time.

In addition to my own, I have been keeping a very close eye on two other families. My visit to West Sussex heathland earlier this morning was made all the more enjoyable as I observed, at close quarters, four Common Redstarts fledging from their nest. The nest, which I originally found due to the alarm call of the adult birds, was located in a deep fissure in a mature silver birch. I watched enchanted as the youngsters took their first steps beyond the relative safety of their fortress home for the past four weeks. In addition, whilst looking for roosting Silver-studded Blues several weeks ago, I discovered the camouflaged nest of a pair of Woodlarks. The three eggs that were present then have now developed into three hungry youngsters, still without any real feathering, but developing well nonetheless. It is unlikely that I will catch them leaving the shelter of their current home but feel privileged to have had this encounter.

Can it get better ...

I left as the sun began to emerge ...
UKBP1150368ssbmale.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Silver Stud Mark :mrgreen: How long have they been out over your way as you mention "several weeks ago"?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Wurzel.

The first SSBs in Sussex were seen on 19th June this year; nine days later than last season. I've been looking since around the 10th.

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Bernwood Meadows, 27 June 2013

Black magic ...

A short notice business meeting in Buckinghamshire, found me temptingly close to Black Hairstreak territory earlier today. With the first UK sightings of the 2013 season being reported on 21st June, I had to take a quick look.

For those who have never visited, Bernwood Meadows, located close to the city of Oxford and managed by the Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust, “are a rare survival from yesteryear – traditional hay meadows brimming with wild flowers and insects.” The best time to visit is from April to July when the meadows are filled with a succession of beautiful wild flowers. It is typically the last two weeks of June and the first week of July when the rare and elusive Black Hairstreak may be seen.

The quick look today turned into an epic search, incorporating a lot of neck ache, but in the end I got lucky, when a single male, one of three (possibly four) individuals sighted, came low enough in near perfect conditions for several pictures. This was only the second time I have seen this species in the wild, the first in southern France many years ago.

An experience not to be forgotten …
UKBP1150299blackhairstreakmalebernwood.jpg

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Very nice Mark - good find!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
Congratulations on your first UK Black Hairstreak. Simply brilliant!
Best Wishes, Neil

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Well done Mark :mrgreen: , an absolutely classic male! (not you, the butterfly............).
Could you add it to the Species-Specific Album please.

Many thanks,
Vince

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great stuff Mark,

That is a beautiful photo of a species that I have yet to see :mrgreen:

Cheers

Neil F.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Well done Mark, beautiful photo.

All the best, Nick.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you.

I really appreciate all your comments :D :D :D

The same male feeding ...
UKBP1150303blackhairstreakmalebernwood.jpg

CJB

Post by CJB »

Wow, Mark, what a great picture and what a great butterfly!
I am on my quest to photograph all the UK species on my mobile and the hairstreaks are my nemeses!
I am up to 42 species and am hoping to get some of the Scottish specialities at the end of this month.
It would be amazing to get a BHS.
Flutter on!
CJB

Return to “Personal Diaries”