June 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: June 2013

Post by Willrow »

nfreem wrote:Hi Bill,

I was heading back up the M5 today back to the midlands after a family break in North Devon. Approaching the junction for Weston-super-Mare, the thought crossed my mind to turn off for Sand Point but with my wife, daughter and grandson in a fully loaded car I didn't dare mention it :wink:

I am sorry for your lack of luck there but at least I don't feel so bad now at zooming past :wink:

Cheers,

Neil F.
Hi Neil,

We've all been there, and we all know how far to go...and it most certainly is not to Weston-super Mare on a 'diversionary for Glanville Frits' with the family after a nice break in North Devon :lol:

Discretion is always the better part of valour in these subtle matters...or you can just do it Neil...and then spend the next month in the doghouse :( :cry:

Regards,

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

This is a belated post from last Tuesday, I managed a couple of hours just mooching about one of my local patches Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, South Wales it was pleasant to watch the butterflies come up out of the grasses where they had remained tucked away out of the breeze, that is until the sunshine made a little effort and the breeze subsided enough. First up and on the wing were the Marsh Fritillary closely followed by a dozen or so Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. I took advantage of the light offered to grab some shots of both species, at least those in good enough condition to warrant a portrait :)

As I headed back towards the car the main pasture was full of life, both species were busily seeking partners, sadly though there are those odd unfortunate ones that fall prey to other grassland insects, indicated by the photograph attached to this post :( but, that's nature, I was quickly cheered by the wonderful display of Heath Spotted- orchid, they look better this year than for many at this pleasant location.

Attachments
Closed wing shot of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Closed wing shot of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
The Heath Spotted-orchid are looking really super
The Heath Spotted-orchid are looking really super
Marsh Fritillary in prime condition enjoys some sunshine
Marsh Fritillary in prime condition enjoys some sunshine
The demise of a beautiful butterfly...
The demise of a beautiful butterfly...
Devil's-bit Scabious with Marsh Fritillary
Devil's-bit Scabious with Marsh Fritillary
Ashywolf

Post by Ashywolf »

Glanville Fritillary (a fairly diluted imago but wings in perfect shape) at ************ yesterday (21st June). Glad I don't need to go to the Isle of Wight now :).

I was chasing small heaths for upperside shots and came across this "large heath". I had never observed the flicking wing behaviour when they land before. Loads of cinnabar moths also.

Late spring indeed. I feared I was too late. Only other butterflies included small heath, common blue, a single small blue (I never expected this to be here; less expected than a late glanville!) and meadow brown (one pair). Cinnabar moth and Silver Y only moths seen.
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of name of sensitive site
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Last edited by Vince Massimo on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of name of sensitive site
Isle of Mull? :evil:

Jack
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Jack Harrison wrote:Isle of Mull? :evil:
You wish................ :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ringlet at the Devenish - is that the first ?

Also Large Skipper, Meadow Brown, Adonis and Common Blues, Grizzled Skippers and Specklies

Have a goodun

Wurzel
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Thursday last at Bold Hill Aston Rowan lots of common blues and small heath. Also a large number of Common Spotted Orchids, 5/6 white variety? (Greater Butterfly Orchid) Cheers Sezar
Attachments
DSC00902A.jpg
DSC00801A.jpg
DSC00870A.jpg
DSC00846A.jpg
DSC00838A.jpg
Last edited by sahikmet on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

sahikmet wrote:Thursday last at Bold Hill Aston Rowan lots of common blues and small heath. Also a large number of Common Spotted Orchids, 5/6 white variety? Cheers Sezar
Hi, Sezar
Try Greater Butterfly Orchid.
Adrian Riley www.bugalert.net
David M

Post by David M »

Nice shots, Sezar.

I'm envious of anyone who's seen butterflies this past two days, as here in south Wales we have experienced a second successive 'write-off' of a weekend.

If I could guarantee 2 weeks of good weather at any time of the year it would be between now and 7th July, since so many of the more interesting species are about to emerge and if you work during the week then you are at the mercy of the weather on the available weekends within that time span.

Irritatingly, it looks as though the next four days (all weekdays) are going to provide just such conditions. :evil:
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The weather has been particularly unpleasant all weekend and finding anything has been a challenge. However, yesterday I did manage to find a single Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary in the depths of Rowland Wood. Today I called up to High and Over where a fresh Adonis Blue posed for me. It was blowing about like mad in the wind but a few times the wind dropped just enough for a few quick shots. A few Common Blues were seen roosting on the grasses and 2 Meadow Brown were seen flying.
Attachments
DSC_4298 - Copy (800x526).jpg
DSC_4351 (800x531).jpg
DSC_4365 (800x531).jpg
DSC_4405 (800x531).jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Plenty of white-spotted Northern Brown Argus now flying at St Abb's Head, just north of Berwick-upon-Tweed. More at base page viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=1140.

Love those Adonis Blue images Bob, particularly the last one - stonker!

BWs, Neil
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

adrian riley wrote:
sahikmet wrote:Thursday last at Bold Hill Aston Rowan lots of common blues and small heath. Also a large number of Common Spotted Orchids, 5/6 white variety? Cheers Sezar
Hi, Sezar
Try Greater Butterfly Orchid.
Adrian Riley http://www.bugalert.net
Thanks Adrian you are spot on. Cheers Sezar
cl-bucks

Post by cl-bucks »

does nayone know of any sightings of Heath Fritillary in Kent so far this year?
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

cl-bucks wrote:does nayone know of any sightings of Heath Fritillary in Kent so far this year?
Hi, there
You beat me to the question!
If I hear anything it will be posted on Bugalert. Could you please let me know if you hear anything from elsewhere?
Cheers,
Adrian Riley www.bugalert.net
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks for the comment Neil. Wish I had the stamina you seem to have to get the Northern species. Of course the N Argus I've had at Arnside did not have the white spot. I'm very envious. Really fab!!!!
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

does anyone know of any sightings of Heath Fritillary in Kent so far this year?
I understand from a couple of friends who visited East Blean on Friday (21st) that they only saw one Heath Fritillary on the wing. They are well behind this year at this location. The weekend gone was not very good weather wise although this week looks a lot more promising.

Dave
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Even though it was very dull here in Cambridge this morning, there was some lepidopteran excitement...
On my way to work, I pass a Black Poplar tree and every year in mid June, I see Hornet Clearwing moth.
I've been paying particular attention to this tree for the past couple of weeks and today was the day: :D
Hornet Clearwing ukb.jpg
Hornet Clearwing (male I think)

Fabulous mimicry and most people would assume this is a Wasp or a Hornet rather than a moth.
When freshly-hatched, a blue and purple dusting of scales on the wings is visible.
Within a couple of hours, he had buzzed off searching for a mate.

Trev
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

That's a superb image Trev...very well done.

nomad

Post by nomad »

8) Trev, a fantastic find and superb image of the Hornet Clearwing Moth. Never have soon one of those.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Guys, Heath Fritillaries are emerging at East Blean Wood. I saw 6 today in the car-park
P1040442.JPG
I've put more pictures in my Personal Diary.

Happy Hunting!

Hoggers.

Return to “Sightings”