Bridge Cameras?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Debbie

Bridge Cameras?

Post by Debbie »

I applogise for raising this subject again - I love my DSLR, and I am learning that each type of camera comes into its own at different times. I use a canon 500d for my DSLR.

I now need some clarificaation bringing to the Bridge cameras. I do not want a compact?

What Bridge camera do you use and why do you love it?

What is good or bad about its ISO or f stop range?

What is good or bad about its view finders?

Any comments about its Marco?

What x zoom is a must?

Which make / model to you love or hate?

Any other comments please.

Thank you.

Regards,
Debbie
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Bridge Cameras?

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Debbie,

What are you planning on using the bridge camera for. :?:

Regards Gruditch
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Mainly Butterflies when it is not practical to take the DSLR with me, or birds in trees, and other insects too. So I want the Zoom to get closer and the Macro for those who sit and pose. I am sorry if I am not more technical.

Thanks Debbie
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I bought a factory reconditioned compact Canon SX260 HS earlier this year simply because I wanted a pocket camera that I could have with me all the time and not have to lug my DSLR round the woods when I am working. Apart from no viewfinder I find myself using it more than I intended. Its 20x optical zoom and 80x digital has meant that I can take snaps of birds and insects for later identification. At higher magnification it sees more than the human eye. I use the macro setting to photograph moths as I empty a trap. Its two drawbacks are getting used to using a screen, and its flash is exactly were I want to put my left forefinger when aiming it. But for day to day use recording the birds, bees and butterflies I now wouldn't use anything else. It makes a good companion to my DSLR when I have not got the right lens with me.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Debbie - I normally use a canon 60d with both macro and 400mm but I bought a Panasonic fz150 off eBay in the winter and have used nothing else so far this year it is fantastic. If you are not going out specifically to take photos it fits in my field bag and I have taken photos of hobbys, ring ouzel, yellow hammer, roe deer, weasel and fox with the 600mm zoom. The articulated screen allows you to take photos of butterflies and plants from almost impossible positions that would no be possible if you had to use the viewfinder, I can't recommend it highly enough - it is superb. Mark.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Thank you for all your helpful comments.
Debbie
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I held back a bit as I do not use a bridge camera regularly, so can't offer direct experience of particular models. However, coming from a DSLR, there are one or two things to be aware of.

You are used to an optical viewfinder, whereas bridge cameras have an electronic screen in the finder. I think you are right to reject the compact, because the 'back of camera' screen can be very difficult to use in bright sunshine (butterfly weather!) The latest electronic viewfinders are much better than earlier ones but it is effectively a TV image that you are looking at, and it may blur on fast movement and 'bloom' on bright highlights. You really need to look through some examples to form an opinion of them.

Another difference from DSLRs arises from the small sensor and this is 'dynamic range'. You will find that highlights burn out much more easily than on a DSLR, so you have to be more careful on exposure. Some cameras have an 'HDR' feature, which automatically takes two or more photos at different exposures settings and them combines them for a 'high dynamic range' result (no good for moving subjects, though).

Finally, a small-sensor camera (bridge or compact) gives a greater depth of field, at the same aperture, when compared with a DSLR. This can be a plus or minus - it's easier to set a butterfly in context (as Padfield does so well) with a compact, but it's harder to make the background blurry, so that it doesn't compete with the subject, as one can with a DSLR.

I do hope that these somewhat 'techie' points are helpful. I would say that it is most important to make sure that the viewfinder suits you.

Mike
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Debbie,
I currently use an old Panasonic FZ100. If you read my Personal Diary since 2011 you will see what it is capable of. Obviously it does not compare fully to a DSLR, but it gets close enough for me, at a fraction of the price, (if you include a DSLR telephoto lens). I know a lot of people like the FZ150 and have not changed over to the latest upgrade, the FZ200. Both the FZ100 and FZ150 seem to struggle in very poor light when using the Intelligent Auto, but that is mostly in the dark winter months so unlikely to affect photos of butterflies. For the money I think that the Bridge Camera is brilliant value. You just need to accept that generally you will not win prizes with a Bridge Camera.
Hope this helps.
Dave
Last edited by dave brown on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hiya Debbie,

Some important points to consider offered by Mike. Bridge Camera's are getting better and better, five years ago I would not have considered one, now I have both a Panasonic Lumix FZ150 and a new Fujifilm HS50 EXR that I use for all my natural history interests, and apart from the really good image quality they produce, they are lighter, smaller and far more user friendly than DSLR's for a long day in the field. Regarding the EVF (electronic viewfinder) I can recommend the HS 50 EXR I have not seen a better viewfinder on a Bridge Camera to date, but the camera is bigger than the FZ150. Make sure you try out any potential purchase, both the Bridge Camera's mentioned have excellent vari-angle LCD screens, which I would not be without. The HS50 EXR is still on test and I will not sing it's praises too loudly just yet, however I'm more than pleased with the early results. As regards the FZ150 it has become a real favourite of many natural history hobbyists, and I'm more than pleased to have one in my camera bag.

The 1000mm range of the HS50 EXR is tremendous, the macro on the FZ150 is also great for insects, you really cannot go far wrong with either, but for birds the Fuji might be the better choice.

Do your homework and consider also the Panasonic FZ200 and the Canon HS50 (1200mm!!!) which are also top of the range offerings.

Regards,
Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Debbie. I personally use DSLR but I sometimes wonder why. Just look at the pictures taken by Sussex Kipper and Mark Colvin who both use Lumix cameras and produce better than fantastic pictures. Having said that I do love using my DSLR.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuts wrote:Hi Debbie - I normally use a canon 60d with both macro and 400mm but I bought a Panasonic fz150 off eBay in the winter and have used nothing else so far this year it is fantastic. If you are not going out specifically to take photos it fits in my field bag and I have taken photos of hobbys, ring ouzel, yellow hammer, roe deer, weasel and fox with the 600mm zoom. The articulated screen allows you to take photos of butterflies and plants from almost impossible positions that would no be possible if you had to use the viewfinder, I can't recommend it highly enough - it is superb. Mark.
I see you have turned to the Dark side Mark :wink: :lol: I remember you commenting on my FZ150 at Fermyn last year.

Debbie, I can only second the recommendation of the Panasonic FZ150, all the photos in my diary since last June have been taken with mine.

Prior to that I had a FZ38 which other members on here use to great effect. You could probably pick one up cheaply enough off e-bay to try out. Not so much of a risk if you are not sure if you will like a Bridge camera.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Gruditch, Johnr, Mark, Mike, Dave, Bill, Badgerbob, Neil.

Many thanks for your useful comments.

It is the view finder that I am concerned about, but I am going to get one, and see how it goes. I certainly do not want to stop using my DSLR, but I simply cannot take it with me everyday and I have missed a few photographic opportunites.

Hubby is scanning the net for a good deal.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Debbie

I will let you know what I end up... :)
paultim374

Post by paultim374 »

You will find that highlights burn out much more easily than on a DSLR, so you have to be more careful on exposure. Some cameras have an 'HDR' feature, which automatically takes two or more photos at different exposures settings and them combines them ...
Latest SY0-401 dumps and braindumps practice questions delivers in depth understanding so you will pass IFPUG exam on time. Also see more details on Armstrong Atlantic State University and University of Colorado at Boulder, best of luck.

Return to “Photography”