Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Maximus :D really like the Wall :mrgreen:
Must have just missed you as I'm currently at Gurnard on the Isle of Black just drying out as it's rained non-stop all day :( To top it all we're coming home tomorrow as my wife can't stand the accommodation and Glanvilles have just been spotted :roll: :cry: Still here's hoping Wrecclesham happens this year....

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos Maximus, looks like you made the most of some 'challenging' conditions.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Nick, thanks for your comments and yes this year has been very enjoyable, you just have to make the best of things and work around the weather. Dingy Skippers are a favorite of mine and its good to see plenty in 2013.

Hi Wurzel, thanks, must have just missed you too, we stayed at Wroxhall and it rained pretty well non-stop for us, we just made the most of the few sunny spells. Went to Wrecclesham on Monday no Glanvilles seen, lets hope it does happen soon?

Thanks Neil, we did make the most of the challenging conditions and it made the trip very worthwhile for us.

Regards

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up with your diary Mike and you've got some lovely shots there - my favourites have to be the Brown Argus and Orange Tip but I'm quite envious of the selection you have there :mrgreen: Funnily enough, I too was at Wrecclesham on Monday but it must have been late afternoon and all I saw were the Greenstreaks. I shall be watching with interest to see how the Glanvilles fare this year. Last year I saw them from the 25th but never more than a couple of dozen whereas the year before there were literally hundreds. Time will tell, not long now :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, thanks for the positive feedback on the photos. I think the Glanvilles are just late like everything else this year and hopefully will emerge soon.

We have been away for a week 'north of the border' to look for a certain little butterfly! The trip had been booked for several months and we hoped that it would coincide with the flight time of the Chequered Skipper? Weather reports looked resonable for the week ahead as we travelled to Fort William. On our first morning there we drove to Glen Loy which I had read about in Lee slaughters 'revisited' report.
What a beautiful place Glen Loy is, total quiet only punctuated by the call of the Cuckoo. We worked our way carefully up the Glen in the sunshine searching likely looking spots, but by the end of the day we had seen no Chequered Skippers. We did however find a nice colony of Green Hairstreaks and also saw some Green-veined Whites, including a mating pair, and, surprisingly, also a large Salmon in a deep pool of the river Loy!

P1020159 copy.jpg
P1020166 copy.jpg
P1020316 copy.jpg

P1020315 copy.jpg

Over the next couple of days we ventured back to Glen Loy, and with the weather still reasonable we searched the same areas and others that we had not, but still no sighting of a Checkered skipper. In view of this we began to have doubts that they had yet emerged as we had spent a considerable time searching for them at this location. Clearly a change of plan was required.
The next morning saw us on route to Glasdrum Wood in the pouring rain with the hill tops obscured by low cloud. When we arrived it was still raining and the outside air temperature sensor in the car read 10 degrees, I told Cathy I wouldl eat my hat if we saw one in these conditions! We set off up the right-hand path which takes you up the hillside and loops back round to the bottom. We arrived at a point where some power lines cut through the wood and took a path to the right beneath them. We reached a small burn, by which time the rain had stopped and the sky was brightening. I walked ahead and then heard Cathy call that she'd found one. I slowly walked (rushed over) and there he was with open wings, enjoying the first rays of the sun. It was at this point I felt a spot of hat munching was in order.

IMG_6727.jpg
P1020293.jpgA.jpg
P1020256.jpgB copy.jpg
P1020287 copy.jpg

Our brief visit to Scotland had come to an end all too soon, but at least it had ended on a high with finding a total of 6 Chequered Skippers - mission accomplished!

When we'd planned our trip to Scotland earlier in the year we had also toyed with the idea of making a brief stop in Norfolk to see if the Swallowtails were on the wing. So, as the weather for the Norfolk area looked promising we decided to go for it. After a gruelling 500 plus mile drive taking over 8 hours because of the appalling traffic on the A1, we finally got to our destination and managed to book ourselves into a hotel near Great Yarmouth. The following morning was sunny but the cool wind kept the temperatures down, and we had our doubts as to whether we'd see any butterflies at all let alone a Swallowtail! However, we were there and were not going to be deterred by the cool conditions, so set off for Strumpshaw Fen late morning. On arrival we saw the car park at the reserve was pretty full already, so we gathered our cameras and headed straight up the track to the Doctor's garden. The beautiful flower border was in full bloom and there were a couple of Peacocks busily nectaring. Whilst we stood admiring them a couple of Swallowtails in full aerial combat swooped overhead, did a circuit of the Doctor's garden then promptly disappeared into an adjoining field. We pursued them in haste and found a small group of fellow enthusiasts already gathered in the field, cameras at the ready, waiting for one of the two Swallowtails to perch on the abundant red campion. After only a few minutes one of the battling pair obliged and landed within feet of us, but, as is often the case with Swallowtails, its wings were rapidly fluttering which made a decent photograph nigh on impossible. However, we were afforded a couple of photographic opportunities where they settled, wings open and still.

IMG_7156 copy.jpg
IMG_7178.JPGB copy.jpg
IMG_7007 copy.jpg
IMG_7221 copy.jpg

We were fortunate enough to bump into the Doctor whilst admiring his garden, and had a really interesting conversation with this rather knowledgeable gentleman, a retired entomologist, who recounted tales of his past encounters with our native Large Blue on Dartmoor back in the late 1940s. He told us how during that time he had collected butterflies, as many did in those days, and had mounted them in a mahogany case, and, due to his deep regret in later years at having done so, had donated them to the Norwich Museum. He was quick to point to our digital cameras and say he wished they'd had them in his day to capture images of butterflies instead.

Friday 7th June, a couple of days after we'd returned, we decided to pay a visit to Chiddingfold Forest in the hope of seeing some Wood Whites. The forecast was for 'the hottest day of the year', but rather predictably was grey, wet and windy!! Nevertheless, we set off regardless and arrived in pouring rain at the Botany Bay entrance, where we parked up and sat in the car for a while until the rain eased off. While walking down the track we bumped into a couple who had also been searching for Wood Whites and who, after several hours, had only seen a few Speckled Yellow moths. We walked from one end of the woods to the other, also only encountering Speckled Yellow moths, but were pleasantly surprised by the number of Nightingales we heard singing, even managing to get a distant shot of one on the camera at full zoom, and also hearing the cuckoo a couple of times too. After a couple of hours the skies began to clear and the sun made an appearance, and almost immediately we spotted a Wood White bobbing along the edge of the ride. We were initially excited with seeing just the one, but as the weather warmed up we began seeing more and more of them.

P1020361.jpgA copy.jpg
P1020371 copy.jpg
P1020395 copy.jpg
Is this a form of courtship
Is this a form of courtship
Wood White in flight
Wood White in flight
Something sinister going on in the background
Something sinister going on in the background
Spider with Speckled Yellow moth
Spider with Speckled Yellow moth
A Nightingale sang...
A Nightingale sang...

Whilst walking along the ride we found a promisimg looking open grassy area in which we discovered quite a large colony of Dingy Skippers.

P1020390 copy.jpg
P1020391.jpgA copy.jpg

After a pleasant afternoon spent in fantastic surroundings we saw in total 35 Wood Whites and 22 Dingy Skippers, very satisfying considering the rather inclement weather at the start of the day.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lovely pictures and observations, Maximus. Yes, that is wood white courtship - a quite remarkable ritual. Some male butterflies are all aggro and adrenalin but wood whites do romance.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Well, what a memorable last few days you've had, Maximus.

Great images (especially the first chequered skipper and the wood white in flight).

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Guy, and its good to know that romance isn't dead!

Thanks David, yes it really was a great week.

Monday 10th June.

Today we decided on a visit to Figsbury Rings situated a couple of miles to the east of Salisbury, a site that we had last visited at the end of last August, where we saw some second-brood Adonis Blues. It was overcast as we set off in the morning but some sunny spells were forecast for the afternoon. When we arrived it was quite cool, but as we entered the site and walked along the perimeter ditch we disturbed the first Adonis Blue which flew up ahead uf us before settling on a tall grass stem wings closed. As we walked around the earthworks the sky brightened and it became noticably warmer, bringing the bank alive with the iridescent blue of a number of Adonis Blues. We stopped counting at 30 but estimated at least 50 plus, mainly males with a count of 6 females.

Male with wings open
Male with wings open
P1020498 copy.jpg
P1030816 copy.jpg
P1020454 copy.jpg
P1020506.jpgA copy.jpg
P1030833 copy.jpg
A beautiful female
A beautiful female

We spent some time admiring these beautiful butterflies and also saw a few Small Heaths and some DIngy Skippers basking on the bare earth excavated by rabbits. As it was only 2pm and a few breaks appeared in the clouds we decided to head across to nearby Bentley Wood hoping for a glimpse of some Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. We weren't disappointed as, when we arrived, the car park was empty and the sun was out in full. Our first encounter was as we entered the Eastern Clearing and saw one skimming the tops of the ferns. We wandered further into the clearing and cut across the small ditch into a damper area where we found many small PBF's on the wing. They were quite tricky to photograph while the sun was out in full, but as soon as there was a little cloud coverage they seemed to settle quite well, which gave us ample opportunity to get some reasonable photos.

P1020562 copy.jpg
P1020650 copy.jpg
P1020589 copy.jpg
P1020643 copy.jpg
P1030909 copy.jpg
P1020647 copy.jpg
P1030919.jpgA.jpg

A perfect end to a perfect day!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just caught up with your diary Mike. What wonderful adventures you have both been having and some very enviable photos there. I have been wanting to see a Swallowtail for 3 years now but can't seem to sort out the logistics.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent images, Maximus. I'm extremely envious.

CJB

Post by CJB »

What an amazing few days you seem to have had!

Some great pictures and absolute corker species. :mrgreen:

I was at Bentley this weekend and tried to head to Figsbury Rings afterwards but couldn't find it on the map. :roll:

What is next on your quest!?

Flutter on!

CJB

millerd

Post by millerd »

An astonishing series of photos with a huge variety of species in just a few days. I don't envy you the driving, mind!

Is the Figsbury Rings site at SU188338? This is really close to Bentley Wood.

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, thank you for your positive comments, your photos have always been an inspiration to me!! We have had a great couple of weeks and have had some good luck on our side as well. The Swallowtails envolve a 360 mile round trip from Hampshire, we were on our way back from Scotland so just made the most of it, but the drive and the crazy A1 pushed us both to the limit!

Thanks David, for your positive comments.

CJB, yes we have been very lucky but have done a lot of driving recently. Figsbury is just north of the A30 which is just north of Bentley Wood. 'Quest' what quest..... hang on just a minute though I have just seen that the weather forcast for Blandford Forum is not too bad tomorrow afternoon....

Hi Dave, glad you like the series if photos and its variety of species, but yes it was bonkers driving. Figsbury is bang on the reference you give of SU188338, which is 15 mins from Bentley Wood.

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

I can only second the previous comments, an amazing selection of species and some lovely images :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'll third that seeing the Wood Whites, Cheques and Swallowtails :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Neil and Wurzel, our internet has been down for a few days but is hopefully now up and running.

13th June.

This afternoon as some sunny spells were forecast we went to Wrecclesham. Although we looked in all the places that we saw them at this date last year there was no sign of the Glanville Fritillaries. Perhaps as the season is late they may yet emerge? There was a strong wind but we managed to find some Common Blues, Green Hairstreaks, Small Coppers, a very battle worn Peacock and our first Large Skipper of the year.

P1020669 copy.jpg
P1020700 copy.jpg
P1030943.jpgb copy.jpg
P1030946 copy.jpg

14th June.

Sunny periods were once again forecast for the afternoon so we decided at the last minute to head for Hod Hill in the hope of finding some Marsh Fritillaries, as I knew that Wurzel and Philzoid had seen them there fairly recently. We set off late and after struggling to find the right place finally arrived at the entrance gate at the top of the hill around 2.45pm (out of breath from the steep climb). The wind was awful as we set off but we found some shelter in the deep ditch which runs around the earthwork. We had only walked a short distance when we saw the first Marsh Frit which, due to the strong wind, was quite content to sit tight and be photographed. The sun was in and out (mostly in) as we walked further round the perimeter. Thankfully it was quite warm, sheltered between the grassy banks, as we then started to see a lot more action, with many Small Heaths, Common Blues, male and female, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers and a single Brown Argus at various points along the ditch.

P1020745 copy.jpg
P1020722 copy.jpg
P1040021 copy.jpg
Female full of eggs
Female full of eggs
P1030989 copy.jpg
P1020710 copy.jpg
P1020798.jpgA copy.jpg
P1020792 copy.jpg

In total we saw 9 Marsh Fritillaries, including this mating pair!

P1040013 copy.jpg

On our next outing Cathy will protect herself with a good coating of Deet based insect repellent as she found 3 ticks on various parts of her body after our last couple of outings!

In the meantime we are celebrating five new arrivals in our home!! The Orange Tip eggs we had in our kitchen have now hatched. They are on Garlic Mustard in a water bottle on the windowsill and are residing on separate parts of the plant, which is just as well as 'Big Jack', as we've named the first hatchling, would probably eat his mates given half a chance. We moved them inside as the previous eight caterpillars which we left out in the garden were predated. We will separate them from each other as they grow but are not sure what needs are required for their pupation? So if anyone can advise us on what course of action we should take we'd be most grateful.

Little Jack
Little Jack
Big Jack
Big Jack
Top egg darkening just before hatching
Top egg darkening just before hatching

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Maximus wrote: In the meantime we are celebrating five new arrivals in our home!! The Orange Tip eggs we had in our kitchen have now hatched. They are on Garlic Mustard in a water bottle on the windowsill and are residing on separate parts of the plant, which is just as well as 'Big Jack', as we've named the first hatchling, would probably eat his mates given half a chance. We moved them inside as the previous eight caterpillars which we left out in the garden were predated. We will separate them from each other as they grow but are not sure what needs are required for their pupation? So if anyone can advise us on what course of action we should take we'd be most grateful.
Hi Mike,

It's great to see so many people now taking an interest in rearing caterpillars :D.
Keep the larvae apart and watch then as they develop. When they reach a length of approximately 30mm they will be fully grown. At this stage they stop feeding and become restless and are likely to leave the food plant in search of a pupation site. If you want to observe further stages of development you will need to confine the larvae in a well-lit and airy container topped with fine netting and provide them with twigs set at an angle. Put in some food plant as well in case they decide to resume feeding. With luck they will attach themselves to the underside of a twig and pupate a day later, but they may also choose other locations (such as the netting or lid of the container).

Please keep us advised of progress and just ask if there are any further issues that arise.

Regards,

Vince

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Vince,

thanks for the information and I will certainly keep you advised of their progress.

Regards,

Mike

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

18th June.

Today we had a trip to Magdalen Hill Down primarily to look for the Small Blue which we had yet to see this year. Our son also came along as he wanted to try out his new camera. Although it was warm it was also overcast, but we need not have worried because as we walked up the path and turned right over the first stile we immediatly saw a Small Blue basking in the long grass. I'd forgotten what beautiful, delicate little butterflies they are! As we explored the reserve further we saw lots of Small Blues (20 to 30 plus), Common Blues, Brown Argus, Small Heaths, a single Brimstone and some very fresh looking Large Skippers. All in all we had a very nice afternoon in lovely surroundings with only the beautiful song of the Skylark to accompany us.

P1020840 copy.jpg
P1020883 copy.jpg
P1020948 copy.jpg
P1020957 copy.jpg
P1020909 copy.jpg
P1020872 copy.jpg
P1020865 copy.jpg
P1020868 copy.jpg
P1020871 copy.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I love that Small Blue shot with wings shut Mike. Beautiful silvery grey with a hint of blue and lots of detail. Great!

Return to “Personal Diaries”