Marsh Fritillaries on Anglesey

Discussion forum for sightings.
kevling

Marsh Fritillaries on Anglesey

Post by kevling »

Hi,

I am off to Snowdonia at the end of May and have read previous reports of a Marsh Fritillary colony at South Stack on the island of Anglesey.
Can anyone provide any information on whether this is still a reliable site for this gorgeous butterfly.

On my way to and from Snowdonia, I shall be stopping off at Eyarth Rocks reserve with the hope of seeing my first Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.
I have also heard conflicting reports as to the likelihood of seeing Grizzled Skippers at this site. Any feedback gratefully accepted.

Kind Regards
Kev
marshaross

Re: Marsh Fritillaries on Anglesey

Post by marshaross »

Hi Kev

Not sure about Marsh Fritillaries on Anglesey.

On 4 May 2011 we went to Eyarth Rocks and saw 100+ Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. As we were in the area again last week, we called by on Tuesday 7th May (a glorious sunny day with little wind). We too had hoped to see Grizzled Skippers this time also.

We were very surprised to see NOT ONE butterfly of any species. I can only assume everything is "a little late" because of the weather or the PBF are suffering because of the wet summer last year. Hopefully by the end of this month, there may be some activity and wish you luck with your sightings.

Marsha
kevling

Re: Marsh Fritillaries on Anglesey

Post by kevling »

Thanks for reply Marsha.

I will of course update the forum with my findings (of which i hope there will be. Fingers crossed).

Kev

Return to “Sightings”