May 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: May 2013

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I've been to Over 4 times over the past couple of weeks Nick, but as of this afternoon, still no Grizzlies seen. Surely they will appear there over the next few days :?

Trev
NickB

Post by NickB »

Trev Sawyer wrote:I've been to Over 4 times over the past couple of weeks Nick, but as of this afternoon, still no Grizzlies seen. Surely they will appear there over the next few days :?
Trev
I thought I would have heard from you if they were out... :wink:
But emerging elsewhere and the Cutting is usually one of the first places to see them
A nice bike ride on Monday and fingers crossed they're out by then...
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

At last, Speckled Wood are out and about along my local footpath :D I was getting a little worried about them. 3 seen today as well as my first confirmed Small White of the year, all around lunch time today.
Hopefully will get further afield tomorrow but weather not looking quite as bright.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Peerless day again! Out locally to see what was around early this morning...lots of Holly Blue (including some females), a few Large & GVW and several Speckled Wood.
HB_f_1_low_MRC_05_May_2013.jpg
HB_m_1_low_MRC_05_May_2013.jpg
HB_m_2_low_MRC_05_May_2013.jpg
Sp_W_1_low_MRC_05_May_2013.jpg
LW_1_low_MRC_05_May_2013.jpg
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Enjoy your bike ride tomorrow Nick - I've just been on another flying visit and found a couple :D

Trev
NickB

Post by NickB »

Trev Sawyer wrote:Enjoy your bike ride tomorrow Nick - I've just been on another flying visit and found a couple :D
Trev
Thanks; an early start I reckon :wink:
David M

Post by David M »

Anybody intending to visit the coast tomorrow should be on the lookout, as this afternoon at Crymlyn Burrows, on the Swansea coast, I saw four Painted Ladies.

Sadly, they were all flying purposefully and try as I might, I couldn't keep track of them to see if they would settle. I guess the recent southerly winds have helped them fly northwards, so if they've reached south Wales, then you can be sure they'll be about on the southern English coast too.

Other than that, just routine sightings, with 15 or so Orange Tips (including 3 females), 6 or 7 Green Veined Whites, 2 Peacocks, 2 Speckled Woods and 2 Commas.

I shall be spending tomorrow on the dunes at either Kenfig or Merthyr Mawr, so I hope to see a few more PLs.
NickB

Post by NickB »

David M wrote:Anybody intending to visit the coast tomorrow should be on the lookout, as this afternoon at Crymlyn Burrows, on the Swansea coast, I saw four Painted Ladies..
My sister rang me excitedly on Thursday evening to tell me she had seen her first PL of the year on the Cornwall Coast at Zennor... :)
David M

Post by David M »

NickB wrote:
David M wrote:Anybody intending to visit the coast tomorrow should be on the lookout, as this afternoon at Crymlyn Burrows, on the Swansea coast, I saw four Painted Ladies..
My sister rang me excitedly on Thursday evening to tell me she had seen her first PL of the year on the Cornwall Coast at Zennor... :)
Glad it's not just me, Nick.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about the first one. I was standing right on the highest dune by the beach when this large butterfly zoomed past. However, the other three all flew within 20 yards of me and were unmistakeably Painted Ladies.
cambsaurelian

Post by cambsaurelian »

I went to Over Cutting in Cambs this morning and eventually saw 2 Grizzled Skippers on the ground. There were quite a few small day flying moths there, some of which looked really similar to Grizzled Skipper in flight. One nice moth seen was Netted Pug.

Cheers.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Lovely to see a couple of Small Coppers on Cissbury Ring this morning.
Cissbury Ring
Cissbury Ring
A Speckled Wood posed as well.
Cissbury Ring
Cissbury Ring
Cissbury Ring
Cissbury Ring
Many Peacocks,Red Admirals,Small Tortoisehells,Brimstones,a couple Orange Tips and a couple Green Hairstreaks.
But no Grizzlies or Dingys yet :(
Popped into Kithurst and Chantry but nothing showing,was a fleeting visit though.
Regards
Dave Browne
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Lovely HB pics, NickB.
Glad to hear the Grizzlies are out at Over, cambsaurelian. I hope I can squeeze in a trip sometime soon.
Beautiful Small Coppper, Buchan Boy - they're always a great sight.
nomad

Post by nomad »

Good numbers of Green Hairstreaks at Rodborough Common Glos, in several strong colonies. Several Dingy Skippers today the 5 May. Only one male Duke seen with a deformed hindwing! Peter.
Green Hairstreak on Gorse at Rodborough
Green Hairstreak on Gorse at Rodborough
Green Hairstreak well camouflaged at Rodborough
Green Hairstreak well camouflaged at Rodborough
Green Hairstreak feeding at Rodborough
Green Hairstreak feeding at Rodborough
Green Hairstreak Rodborough Common 4 May
Green Hairstreak Rodborough Common 4 May
Attachments
Dingy Skipper at Rodborough
Dingy Skipper at Rodborough
David M

Post by David M »

Great to learn that Dingies are out. Tomorrow could be a highly productive day assuming most of the membership of this site takes advantage of the excellent weather forecast.
NickB

Post by NickB »

David M wrote:Great to learn that Dingies are out. Tomorrow could be a highly productive day assuming most of the membership of this site takes advantage of the excellent weather forecast.
:) :) :)
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Was unable to get out today, however, a female Holly Blue appeared in the garden and just allowed enough time to shoot upstairs to get the camera. Over the last few days have managed to get a couple of day flying moths. A Small Purple-barred on Frog Firle and a Bridge Roller at Abbotts Wood. The Bridge Roller is apparently the first record for this moth at Abbotts since 1905.
Attachments
Bridge Roller
Bridge Roller
Small Purple-barred
Small Purple-barred
Female Holly Blue
Female Holly Blue
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

David M wrote:Tomorrow could be a highly productive day assuming most of the membership of this site takes advantage of the excellent weather forecast.
Unfortunately I will be spending the day at Chessington World Of Adventures tomorrow. I do not think there are any SSSIs there :wink: , but I shall be keeping my eyes open just incase anything flies through.
I spent a few hours at Oxenbourne Down today, but came away feeling slightly dissappointed. A couple of Orange Tips, a few Brimstones and one solitary Grizzled Skipper ( my first of the year) was all I managed.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

After a disappointing day at Denbies on Friday where the only species seen approaching reasonable numbers were Brimstones, I paid a hopeful visit today (Sunday) to Noar Hill as reports had been showing that the Dukes were out. Indeed they were, but some 2.5-3 hours searching was needed to get to a tally of four. Its still early days :| .
Courting Brimstones spiralling upwards and eventually out of sight
Courting Brimstones spiralling upwards and eventually out of sight
Duke at Noar Hill
Duke at Noar Hill
Duke on a stick
Duke on a stick
Bombylius major with fearsome looking proboscis used for drinking nectar
Bombylius major with fearsome looking proboscis used for drinking nectar
Moving onto Butser Hill where I met up with Mark Tutton we counted somewhere in the region of 2 dozen Grizzled skipper :D . Unfortunately my camera craft didn't match the occasion and only one of pictures turned out passable :roll: .
Good numbers of Grizzled Skippers at Butser
Good numbers of Grizzled Skippers at Butser
The grizzlies seemed to have it all to themselves as the only other species seen was Peacock. So far I've yet to see a Small Tortoiseshell which appears to be the most reported butterfly so far this year :? .
RobS

Post by RobS »

Yeah...small tortoiseshell on the walk into work yesterday afternoon and yet another on the way home this morning.Keep looking phil. :D
Glad you had success with the Dukes though :D :D
No Dingys yet at Noar im guessing?
cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Still early days in the GS season here - only 3 or 4 seen this morning at Over, along with Orange-tip, GV White, Peacock.....
GS_2b_low_Over_06_May_2013.jpg
...and Common Carpet and a few Lattice Heath moths just to confound!
Last edited by NickB on Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Sightings”