Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Come Dine with Me

The strange behaviour of butterfly food choice ...
Close up of a male Silver-washed Fritillary taking fluids from a damp track, Chiddingfold Forest, 23 July 2012 by Mark Colvin.jpg
As with most insects, butterflies do the majority of their growing and eating during the larval stage. Nevertheless, the adults still require nutrition. This is predominantly obtained in the form of floral nectar, along with tree sap and other sugar-based foods for flight energy, with other micronutrients being required for egg maturation and successful reproduction. It is these that are gained from a number of apparently strange sources including animal dung, bird droppings, urine, human sweat, rotting fruit, fermenting juices from timber, dead fish, animal carcasses, honeydew (sugar-rich excrement produced by aphids) and even dew covered embers from fires.

The term ‘puddling’, which originates from the tropics, is often used when butterflies visit animal dung and urine-soaked ground. This behaviour can often be observed on patches of damp ground or streamside mud where animals have been drinking and then defecated. In our own quest for finding ‘exotic’ species in Britain, the magnificent Purple Emperor being a classic example, it is possible to use the equivalent, including human body fluids, to attract such butterflies. Puddling also occurs on seepages, muddy puddles, drying riverbanks and has been observed on roadside verges after heavy rain. The main purpose of this act appears to be the collection of key nutrients, which are otherwise scarce in their regular diets. Evidence suggests that the primary target is sodium, although nitrogen and phosphorous rich compounds may also be essential.
Red Admiral taking nutrients from a snail, Chiddingfold Forest, 1 July 2012 by Nick Broomer.jpg
Male Wood Whites feasting on horse dung, Chiddingfold Forest, 14 July 2011 by Mark Colvin.JPG
There is still debate as to why butterflies and indeed other insects require these additional nutrients. It has been suggested that sodium plays an important role in a number of physiological processes including assisting amino acid uptake during the digestive process and assisting neuromuscular activity. Another theory suggests that these additional nutrients are important to the male of the species by allowing them to better provision their spermatophores prior to passing to the female during copulation, due to the additional nutrients it contains. Whatever the reason, the act of ‘puddling’ is undoubtedly a fascinating behaviour. Whether it is for a slightly unusual choice of nuptial gift or the entomological equivalent of drinking a can of Red Bull (other makes of high energy drink are available), many aspects of this behaviour still remain unanswered …

Red Admiral taking nutrients from a snail reproduced with kind permission of Nick Broomer ©.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Great article, Mark. :-)

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Susie,

That's kind of you to say ...

I wrote this some time back and was planning to post it earlier but thought I'd hang on to it until the Sussex BC Report was published.

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

David M

Post by David M »

That's a most welcome 'short story', Mark. I've often wondered why butterflies are keen to take minerals on board. I daresay it's not dissimilar to pregnant women suddenly craving bizarre things to consume.

Nature always has its way.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

its nice to be able to read articles such as this one, on understanding the behaviour of puddling by our butterflies and, why its such an important part of their short lives. So well done.

All the best, Nick.

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Yes, thanks for a fascinating article Mark. It motivated me to inquire into other ways that Lepidoptera obtain supplementary nutrients:

Vampire moths drink vertebrate blood (including human according to one report). Their proboscis is divided into two halves, a rocking motion drills into the skin and the victim’s blood pressure raises hooks on the proboscis to ensure attachment (coming to a screen near you...).

Hemiceratoides hieroglyphica, a moth from Madagascar, visits sleeping birds at night and drinks their tears using a specialized, harpoon-like proboscis: http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... nsion.html
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... nsion.html

Susie

Post by Susie »

Brilliant, Colin :-D. Now if only that stuff was taught in schools I bet the little 'uns would be gripped. A bit like Horrible Histories, but with insects instead!

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear David, Nick and Colin.

Thank you for your kind comments - appreciated ...

I'm glad the article proved informative and stimulated interest.
Susie wrote:Now if only that stuff was taught in schools I bet the little 'uns would be gripped. A bit like Horrible Histories, but with insects instead!
I couldn't agree more ...

Many years ago I remember taking a number of 'creepy crawlies', including giant millipedes, stick insects and hissing cockroaches, into my son and daughter's play school and their local Cub and Brownie packs. The children would all sit round in a semicircle and I would then give each and everyone the chance to touch or hold each 'mini-beast' after I had told them a little bit about each one. My son or daughter would hold them first as they were accustomed to doing so. The children were never forced to touch or hold anything, though encouraged to do so if they showed interest. You could clearly see which of the children had been brought up in an environment where anything with six legs or more was generally bad and to be avoided! I always involved the teaching staff and leaders, generally much to their displeasure, but they usually put on a brave face - at least for a few seconds ...

I'd highly recommend The AES Bug Club to anyone who has young children showing an interest:

http://www.amentsoc.org/bug-club/

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Marshside Nature Reserve, Lancashire, 10 April 2013

Avocet ...

With things quiet down south I headed north ...
Avocet (male), Marshside Nature Reserve, Lancashire, 10 April 2013.jpg
Located on the western edge of the old Martin Mere basin lies the town of Southport, constructed on a complex of sand dunes that once formed a natural obstruction to the drainage of the once vast lake. Here, at the mouth of the estuary, Marshside Nature Reserve sits where the dunes of the Sefton coast meet the salt marshes of the Ribble. Forming part of the internationally important Ribble Estuary, Marshside Nature Reserve, managed by the RSPB, has some of the best lowland wet grassland in the north-west of England. A freshwater marsh adds to a diversity of important habitats that supports enormous numbers of birds. There are Internationally important numbers of Pink-footed Geese, Bar and Black-tailed Godwits and Knot, and nationally important numbers of Grey and Golden Plovers, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Ruff, Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler and Shelduck. In spring and early summer the area supports important populations of nesting Skylark, Shoveler, Gadwall, Redshank and Lapwing as well as the largest colony of Avocets on the west coast of Britain.
Avocet (male), Marshside Nature Reserve, Lancashire, 10 April 2013.jpg
More from my trip on my personal blog at http://markcolvin.blogspot.co.uk

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 19 April 2013

Struggling to find any Orange Tips yesterday (though my luck was in today) my attention was drawn elsewhere ...

Stigmella aurella

The large group of moths known as the Nepticulidae are all extremely small, and because of the manner in which their larvae feed internally within the leaf structure, they are known as leaf-miners. The shape of the pale gallery or blotch created by the larva as it feeds, is usually a much better means of identification than by comparing the adult insect.

Stigmella aurella, pictured below, is probably the commonest and most widespread in the British Isles, its whitish larval mines are a familiar sight on bramble leaves everywhere. In addition to bramble, the larvae will also feed in the leaves of wild strawberry, agrimony, dewberry, water avens, and wood avens. The adults have a wingspan of only 6mm, have a metallic sheen, and fly in May and later in the summer.

Miners are generally restricted to a certain range of food plants, so the identification of a miner is greatly assisted by correctly identifying these plants. The shape of the mines (gallery or irregular blotch) and the patterns of the droppings (frass) within, in addition to the characteristics of the larvae and pupae, can all be key diagnostic features. Lepidoptera tend to construct galleries or blotches with single lines of frass. Diptera characteristically make twin trails of frass. Hymenopteran mines have characteristically more abundant and generally darker frass, particularly when compared to dipterous mines. Several species, including certain Coleoptera, make cut-outs in the leaf and the structure of these can help aid correct identification.

There's always something to see - you just have to look ...
Stigmella aurella, Five Oaks, West Sussex, 19 April 2013 by Mark Colvin.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 23 April 2013

Parental responsibility ...

Due to other commitments and interests, entomology, though far from forgotten, has recently taken a bit of a back seat with my outdoor activities significantly reduced. With the Sussex Butterfly Report now published, and my editorial commitments now on the back burner, I hope to spend more time in the field.

Late last season I acquired three Brown Hairstreak eggs; a pair and a single. I had watched and photographed the rather worn female as she laid her tiny white eggs on 16th August 2012. I made a point of marking their location, and when it became apparent that the hedgerow and verge were due to be cut, I checked for their presence and was pleased to find them exactly where I had seen them several months earlier. Having never reared a butterfly from eggs before, or for that matter from any other stage, I was keen to give it a go; having been inspired by the great work of Vince Massimo on this forum and many of my friends in the past.

The eggs were kept in a secure container in my garden shed for the duration of the long winter. I rarely disturbed them other than to occasionally check that they looked OK. Vince had kindly supplied me with several potted blackthorn plants, and my purchase of pot frames and net covers, meant I was ready to go when the time and conditions were right. With the blackthorn buds starting to waken, and with the temperature having finally risen to a more suitable level, on Friday, 19th April the eggs were carefully positioned in their new home.

I now wait and watch like an expectant father ...
UKBP1110211.JPG
UKBP1050347.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mark just across the road from the bird reserve in the Dunes I've seen loads of Butterflies Wall, STS ,Peacocks, even Dark Green Fritiliaries so you'll have to visit Southport again in the Summer :D
Good luck with your eggs I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with your bundles of joy :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks for your comments ...

I definitely intend to visit Lancashire and the adjoining area again as I have some unfinished business with the Red Squirrels at Formby Point. Marshside, Martin Mere and Mere Sands Wood are all sites I'd like to revisit and hopefully next time I'll take better weather with me ...

My 'bundles of joy' haven't hatched yet. Watch this space ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 25 April 2013

Aerial antics and amphetamines ...

Arriving at Chiddingfold Forest around 1pm today I had a couple of hours to spare before needing to be back home. Within a short time of arriving the battle commenced, as two Commas competed for territory; which appeared to include a small dry area of ground, a ditch and a small holly. After several unsuccessful attempts to depose him, the victor, an extremely tatty specimen, took his rightful place on the young holly.

As I headed along the forest track in the heat of the afternoon, it was impossible to miss the large numbers of Brimstone on the wing. Most were males, with a couple of females thrown in for good measure. I also stumbled across a mating pair - stumble being the correct term - as whilst I attempted to carefully creep up on them that’s exactly what I did - and off they went never to be seen again! I’d estimate I saw in excess of 25 Brimstone in the 2 hours I was there. In true Brimstone fashion, apart from the mating pair, they never stopped still for any length of time and only stopped for the briefest of moments at a nearby nectar bar. I really wasn't in the mood for chasing them and, to be honest, the outcome would have been inevitable, so I just watched and enjoyed their seemingly drug induced hyperactivity.

A pair of Peacocks on the other hand were of more interest, as the pair appeared to be trying to defend the same section of woodland track. One, with a large section of hindwing missing, appeared to be the main aggressor as they spiralled high into the air and chased each other along a section of track.

It was good to be out and I didn't see another soul ...
UKBP1120915.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 1 May 2013

Searching ...

Earlier this afternoon I decided to check out several areas of Chiddingfold Forest in the hope of finding a spring brood Wood White; my target obviously had other ideas, as I sadly drew a blank. That said, today really had an air of positivity about it and I was pleased to find seven species including my first Lycaenid of the year, a male Holly Blue (one of several taking nutrients from the forestry track). Despite thinking I had the wood to myself, I was pleased to be joined by UKB's P J Underwood in search of the very same treasure.

The search continues ...

Species seen:

Holly Blue
Peacock
Comma
Large White
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Green-veined White
Holly Blue (male), Chiddingfold Forest (1 May 2013) b.jpg
Holly Blue (male), Chiddingfold Forest (1 May 2013) a.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 3-4 May 2013

Brimstone ...

I spent much of yesterday in Chiddingfold Forest searching for early spring brood Wood White. After an extensive search of all Surrey sectors during the morning, I headed into Sussex sections of the forest in the afternoon, yet still failed to locate any specimens. Apart from several female Orange Tip, which at quick glance fooled me into thinking I’d found one, none were seen. It is my belief that Wood White, at least as of yesterday, are still not flying in Chiddingfold Forest. That said, I was far from beaten and managed to see ten species with Brimstone being by far the most prolific.

Before I left the forest, as I was now running rather short of time and didn't want to lose too many brownie points, I marked the location of several roosting Brimstone and returned early this morning in order to hopefully get some shots.

Species seen yesterday:

Small Tortoiseshell
Peacock
Comma
Holly Blue
Green-veined White
Large White
Small White
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Speckled Wood
UKBP1120998.JPG
UKBP1130023.jpg

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Lovely shots Mark :)
Mark Colvin wrote:It is my belief that Wood White, at least as of yesterday, are still not flying in Chiddingfold Forest
Indeed. Even when there is a first sighting, I'm always skeptical that this might be an anomaly or misidentification. I think the date of a first sighting has to be seriously questioned if a second sighting doesn't immediately follow!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

That top Brimmy pic is a stunner. Nicely done.
BWs, Neil

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks ...

You can't beat Blu-Tack and a good blob of Super Glue :wink:

Return to “Personal Diaries”