Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Rowland Looking Good

This morning (11th November) I joined a large group of volunteers for the monthly work party at the BC Rowland Wood Reserve. The regulars turn out on the second Sunday of every month through the late autumn and winter, come rain or shine. Today it was definitely a case of shine, and the reserve looked stunning draped in vivid autumn colours. Huge areas of dense conifer have now been cleared by contractors, and the woods look better with every visit. Today we hauled, chopped and burned conifer brash, only pausing to observe a minute's silence at 11 am. After the disastrous summer it will probably be 2014 before butterflies really get going here, but when they do Rowland will become one of the best woodland sites in the South East.
UKB BC PCH 11.11.12.jpg
UKB BC Rowland Wood 11.11.12.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wildland Revisited

On Wednesday (13th November) I attended another meeting of the Wildland Advisory Group on Sir Charlie Burrell's Knepp Castle Estate (http://www.knepp.co.uk), where a ground-breaking rewilding scheme has been running since 2001. These meetings are always very interesting, particularly as they involve so many ecologists with very different areas of expertise. On this occasion the event focused on the work of Frans Vera (third from left), who believes that the primeval lowland forests of Europe had an open 'woodland pasture' structure, driven by the grazing and browsing action of large herbivores such as tarpan, European bison and red deer. This idea conflicts with the more established model of an extensive, closed-canopy forest. These varied theories obviously have major implications for a project which aims to restore a more natural landscape.

This year I took over the surveying and monitoring of butterflies across the project area and, despite the dismal weather, have already started to see some interesting patterns beginning to emerge (Transect data goes back to 2005 and casual records to 1995). Perhaps the highlight of the year for me was the sight of a male Purple Emperor gliding over a formerly arable field. Equally satisfying was the discovery of three Brown Hairstreak eggs, immediately after taking the image below. These were on the first blackthorn sucker I examined, which bodes well for the egg survey planned for this winter.
UKB Knepp Advisory Meeting 13.11.12.jpg
Last edited by Neil Hulme on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Yellow And Copper

On Wednesday (14th November) I attended the weekly work party at Heyshott Escarpment, where progress continues at an impressive pace. I met Mark Colvin on the way up to the site, although his recent injury has (very sensibly) prevented him from re-joining the labour force just yet. I'm sure I'll feel equally guilty for missing the next couple of sessions myself, from the comfort of a Canarian sun-bed 8) .

With the exception of Red Admirals, I suspect I saw my last butterfly of 2012 while we took a coffee break. Although a common species, and viewed from a great distance, the male Brimstone which was fluttering high around the canopy of the magnificent beech trees pictured below was one of the season's highlights for me. The colour combination of lemon yellow and burnished copper was as spectacular a sight as anything I've seen this year ... simply stunning.
UKB Heyshott 14.11.12.jpg
Colin Knight and I decided the day was just too perfect to head home after downing tools. So we headed to Pagham Harbour to twitch the female Hooded Merganser which has been in residence for a week or two. Expert opinion (not ours!) is that this bird is a good'un, rather than the more usual escapees from wildfowl collections.
UKB Hooded Merganser, Pagham 14.11.12.jpg

hilary

Post by hilary »

Sussex Kipper wrote:On Wednesday (13th November) I attended another meeting of the Wildland Advisory Group on Sir Charlie Burrell's Knepp Castle Estate (http://www.knepp.co.uk), where a ground-breaking rewilding scheme has been running since 2001. These meetings are always very interesting, particularly as they involve so many ecologists with very different areas of expertise. On this occasion the event focused on the work of Frans Vera (third from left), who believes that the primeval lowland forests of Europe had an open 'woodland pasture' structure, driven by the grazing and browsing action of large herbivores such as tarpan, European bison and red deer. This idea conflicts with the more established model of an extensive, closed-canopy forest. These varied theories obviously have major implications for a project which aims to restore a more natural landscape.
I found this very interesting. It does fit in so well with what Butterfly Conservation and other Conservation groups are doing by by controlling reserves by way of grazing with ponies and cattle to restrict the growth of scrub and then woodland. Given that after the last 'Ice Age' receded we (as hunters) followed the herds of wild ponies, cattle and deer into what became Britain, it does make sense that there must have been decent amounts of grazing to sustain them and us until we changed to farming and began to totally control the landscape and replaced the wild grazers with domesticated ones (except deer and apparently the Exmoor pony may have escaped 'improvement').
I find it easier to believe (and somehow more comforting!) that all the UKs non-forest species didn't have to wait untill we began clearing the forests, for their existence.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You wrote:
On Thursday (8th November) I attended a work party in some woods on the Cowdray Estate to the south of Fernhurst.
As I've mentioned before Neil, some 40 years ago I used to enjoy a strong colony of PB Frits just seven kilometres further south from your "Terra Nova". Doubtless that whole area abounded with PB Frits in the middle of the last century. Keep up the good work and you never know what might be achieved.

Wet here again on Mull (surprise surprise). A leaking roof enables me to estimate the rate of rainfall by counting the drips as they plop into the bucket. The "tame" roofer says it can't be repaired until it stops raining. I moved to Mull well aware that it rains occasionally here :!: :?: but indoor precipitation was not in the plans. Still I can watch the Hooded Crows out the window of my "den" - very smart birds (but not loved by the farmers)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Hilary,
You might find this of interest http://www.nhbs.com/wilderness_in_europ ... 58846.html, also referencing an earlier work by Frans Vera.

Hi Jack,
Even as recently as the late 1970s/early 1980s the PBF was found in almost every suitable woodland clearing in this part of Sussex. Of the many things we have lost, the shocking decline of this species is particularly lamentable.
I imagine winters will be quite tough up there ... but I know from my time living in Scotland that the spring weather can make the West Coast and Isles one of the best places to be on the planet. Hope the roof gets sorted soon.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC AGM And Members Day

On Saturday (17th November) I attended the BC National AGM and Members Day at the Nottingham Belfry Hotel. I always enjoy these events as they provide a welcome opportunity to catch up with BC staff and volunteers, many of whom have become good friends over the years. David Dennis (Chair of BC) and Bill Bacon (Chair of East Midlands Branch) both did a fantastic job in providing us with a highly entertaining day, with the support of a great many local branch members and Manor Yard staff.

As always the talks were fantastic, but a highlight for me is always the period put aside to recognise the contribution made by branch volunteers, all of which have given huge amounts of time to the cause, often over much of their adult lifetime. This year the Role of Honour included David Redhead, Dr Bernard Watts, Dr Guy Meredith, Steven Palmer and Gordon Mackie. However, I was particularly pleased to see a much-deserved award go to Bob Foreman of the Sussex Branch (far left). Much of Bob's work goes on behind the scenes, and with great modesty, but the branch could not have grown so rapidly in recent years without his huge contribution. Congratulations to all six.

This year, recipients of the Marsh Christian Trust Awards included Dr Phil Sterling and Prof Christer Wiklund. Christer could not attend, but some of his short videos of tits (being terrorised by butterflies) were most entertaining, raising a collective titter. The Marsh Award for Promotion of Lepidoptera went to Patrick Barkham - a very popular choice.

There were some excellent stalls to browse during the break, including firm favourites such as the artwork of Richard Lewington. The exceptional quality and beauty of Richard's paintings never ceases to amaze, and always causes a twitching of the wallet. I resisted, at least for now, the magnificent Monarch pictured below.
UKB BC Outstanding Volunteer Award Winners 2012 - BC AGM Notts 17.11.12.jpg
Monarch by Richard Lewington.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

BC Sussex AGM

Although I shall miss the event myself (just off for two weeks in the sun 8) ), I can recommend the BC Sussex AGM this coming Saturday 24th November. Official business is always handled at maximum velocity, leaving plenty of time for THREE great speakers. Dr Dan Hoare from BC HQ, Dr Dan Danahar (BC Sussex) and the legendary Sgt. Blencowe will make it a highly entertaining event. If you're within striking distance of the Adastra Hall in Hassocks you really should consider going. More at http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html

Susie

Post by Susie »

I'll be there. Disappointed to miss you but hope you have a lovely holiday. Hope to see you next year when the orange tips roam the lanes of my neck of the woods again :-)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fuerteventura 2012

I've just returned from a couple of hot and sunny weeks on our favourite Canary Island, Fuerteventura. As always we headed to the far south of the island, to the quiet resort of Morro Jable. Butterfly interest was quite limited, but we did see at least one Monarch most days, and Hannah managed to get a fantastic photograph of one while out on her own (to be published once the pain has subsided and she takes the camera back to her parent's house for downloading). Other species included the usual Geranium Bronze, Greenish Black-tip, Painted Lady etc, although there were far fewer around than during previous visits. The best image I managed was a record shot of a Striped Hawkmoth.
UKB Morro Jable, Fuerteventura, 2.12.12.jpg
UKB Striped Hawkmoth, Morro Jable, Fuerteventura, 3.12.12.jpg
The birdlife was rather more obliging and I managed to get some reasonable shots of Whimbrel and Turnstone.
UKB Whimbrel, Morro Jable, Fuerteventura 3.12.12.jpg
UKB Whimbrel, Morro Jable, Fuerteventura 3.12.12.(2).jpg
UKB Turnstone, Morro Jable, Fuerteventura 2.12.12.jpg
Even more confiding was a Little Egret, which allowed a very close approach while it hunted lizards along a dry stone wall. It was highly efficient at picking these off, sometimes at a rate of one every few minutes. This bird was equally oblivious to the African Ground Squirrels which scurried around its legs.
UKB Little Egret, Morro Jable, Fuerteventura 2.12.12..jpg
UKB African Ground Squirrel, Morro Jable, Fuerteventura, 2.12.12.jpg

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Neil
Your Little Egret looks like a Cattle Egret to me.

Lovely photos as usual.

Cheers

Roger
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

You're right Roger (also got a nudge from Mark C) - Little Egret has black beak and upper legs. Was still in UK mode!
Ta, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

But Cattle Egrets are apparently on the verge of colonising Britain so we will all get confused in the future. Not so here on Mull - no Egrets so far but Herons in far greater numbers than "down south".

By the way Neil, I loved your PE broadcast with Matthew. You two make an excellent double act. TV next?

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Jack. It would be great to get the opportunity to do more with Matthew.
Hope you're settling in to life up/out there. Have you taken a ride on Edie McCredie's bus yet?
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Winter Wonderland

Heyshott Escarpment looked spectacular this morning, blanketed in a heavy hoar frost that persisted all day. However, the biting cold did not deter the hardy volunteers of the Murray Downland Trust and BC Sussex, and another old chalk pit was cleared of scrub. Although the reserve appeared lifeless today, it is simply in a state of deep slumber and in five months time will be buzzing with insect life.
UKB Heyshott 12.12.12 (1).jpg
UKB Heyshott 12.12.12 (2).jpg
UKB Heyshott 12.12.12 (3).jpg
UKB Heyshott 12.12.12 (4).jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Beautiful photos.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Like I said to Mark you've got to do Christmas Cards with those Shots Goldie M :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Susie and Goldie. Heyshott is a great place for landscape photography at all times of the year. The first shot has already been earmarked for a Christmas card.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Waxwings

Nothing to report on the butterfly front, and it might be some time before that changes! In the meantime here are a few shots of the gorgeous Waxwings currently hanging around Tesco in Lewes, near the mini roundabout at the southern end of Mayhew Way. The previously reported 4 turned into 6 late this morning. As always, very confiding and a joy to watch.
UKB Waxwing, Lewes, 21.12.12(1).jpg
UKB Waxwing, Lewes, 21.12.12.(3).jpg
UKB Waxwing, Lewes, 21.12.12(2).jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sussex Kipper re Waxwings:
The previously reported 4 turned into 6 late this morning.
And I never knew that they bred at this time of year :twisted:

The winter solstice and come and gone and we're still here despite the doomsayers. So the days are getting longer now. However, the latest sunrise isn't for another ten days or so - earliest sunset was about a week ago so evening already pulling out. (This is slightly dependent on latitude). I do understand the reasons for this but Guy being the professional teacher will no doubt explain more succinctly than I can. (Equation of Time and all that). Sorry Guy!

Lovely pics by the way Neil

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”