Two very hungry caterpillars

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Mud

Two very hungry caterpillars

Post by Mud »

I have a bushy pussy willow sapling in the back garden about 1m tall. One day this summer I went out and it had been stripped bare of it's leaves. Here's a photo of the last two leaves and those are the only two caterpillers I could find, so I can only assume they ate the lot! (where did they put it all?) I'd love to know what they are. I know it's not a great photo, but can anyone id them? I assume they are moths?
IMG_6290t2.jpg
Ian
Mark Colvin

Re: Two very hungry caterpillars

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Ian,

They are Sawfly larvae, probably Nematus capreae (N. miliaris). This appears to be one of three species known to be found on Sallow. It is also reported to feed on Poplar. The larvae are quite characteristic. They are green, with a pattern of black dots and stripes running the length of the body and just over 2cm in length. There is a yellowish band behind the head and the rear abdominal segments are also yellowish in colour. The head is black. The larvae of N. capreae also assume the well-known S-position when they feel threatened (as shown below). The larvae pupate underground and there are usually two broods each year. The adults are typically on the wing in May and June and again in July and August. The eggs are deposited in the twigs of the foodplant.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards. Mark
UKBSAW4.jpg
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I also was sufficiently fooled by these larvae to send an image to the county butterfly recorder :lol:
Sawfly larvae.jpg
Mud

Post by Mud »

Ah brilliant.
Thanks
Looks like blue tit fodder then....

Return to “Identification”