Flutter of red Admirals

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Chocky

Flutter of red Admirals

Post by Chocky »

Hi
I thought this video might be interesting for those who haven’t seen this sort of behaviour.
It’s a first for me and I found it very interesting. One normally sees this on Ivy bush or a buddleia
It’s a Flutter of Red Admirals collecting fermented sap from the base of an Oak tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMIuWRsqVZk
Last edited by Chocky on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dilettante

Re: Flutter of red Admirals

Post by dilettante »

Amazing sight!
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely footage that. They're having the time of their lives.

Odd how only Red Admirals seem to be massing for the feast.I'd have expected the odd Comma or Peacock to be indulging as well.
Susie

Post by Susie »

That is quite amazing. Great footage!

I wonder if the same effect could be achieved by putting maple syrup out? Hmmmm..... :D
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Now that's an idea. Might go and get me some plums tomorrow in order to let them rot. Either that or find a local orchard like Kipper :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

I just thought it would be intersting
But I can see some of you like to make fun.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Chocky,

I am not quite sure what you mean in your message by making fun, but no one was making fun of you or the video clip (which is smashing) more we were thinking of ways we could replicate what we saw not having an oak tree sap run to hand :-)

Susie
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Well for a start you have changed you comment . You were wondering if it would have the same effect on humans if you put syrup on their head or face

and Pete Eels' comment ?

Now that's an idea. Might go and get me some plums tomorrow in order to let them rot. Either that or find a local orchard like Kipper

Cheers,

- Pete

Pete EelesAdministrator & Stock Contributor
Unquote
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nobody is making fun of you Chocky and I'm not sure why you might think that. As Susie says, our suggestions are to try and emulate what you've seen.

The reason I said "Might go and get me some plums tomorrow in order to let them rot. Either that or find a local orchard like Kipper" is because I might do just that (since Red Admiral are attracted to rotting fruit).

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

- Pete
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Interesting video. I've only seen this behaviour once - at Heligan, many years ago. I don't know why it is so rarely seen in this country but I suppose a combination of things is needed - good numbers of butterflies and the sap source. Further south, in Europe, it is quite common to see large groups of butterflies around damp spots and the like, but a rare sight here.

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Personally, I loved the video. I'd be prepared to do an experiment with something similarly attractive to see if I could attract such a swarm (far better when nature serves these things up herself though).
Susie

Post by Susie »

Chocky wrote:Well for a start you have changed you comment . You were wondering if it would have the same effect on humans if you put syrup on their head or face

and Pete Eels' comment ?

Now that's an idea. Might go and get me some plums tomorrow in order to let them rot. Either that or find a local orchard like Kipper

Cheers,

- Pete

Pete EelesAdministrator & Stock Contributor
Unquote
Right. Firstly I have NOT edited any of my of above posts and nor has anyone else.

And putting syrup on heads and faces? I didn't say that and it certainly is a strange thing to think of. I thought it was a lovely bit of video footage and I was concerned this morning that you may have taken offence at something someone had said but you take my consideration and are rude in return by alleging that I have said things that I have not said.

I look forward to receiving your apology for your misrepresentation and your rude behaviour.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Chocky
You have a very wierd grasp of the English language if you can read anything insulting in either Pete or Susies posts.
I have read and re-read them both and they are perfectly reasonable, and appreciative of the video you posted.
Secondly, Susie can not have altered her post as it would say "edited once" on it (as this one does)

I am sure you have misread the posts, and a simple apology will clear the air on this very friendly forum.
Cheers

Roger
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

OK if I misread your post my apologies

But the post about maple syrup on head and the efect on humans was changed

How ever : "Now that's an idea. Might go and get me some plums tomorrow in order to let them rot. Either that or find a local orchard like Kipper "
What's that suposed to mean?
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

OK. if I misread your post my apologies
But the post about putting maple syrup on a person or similar and having the same efect on humans was there

What is this suposed to mean: "Now that's an idea. Might go and get me some plums tomorrow in order to let them rot. Either that or find a local orchard like Kipper"
I have re-posted the video
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Have you read my earlier response?
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Chocky,

This is from Sussex Kippers' Diary post from Saturday-
This afternoon (15th September) I visited Maynards PYO fruit orchards at Windmill Hill Farm in the East Sussex village of Ticehurst. This family run business is set in beautiful countryside within a part of Sussex I seldom visit. I was keen to follow up on the report of 1000+ Red Admiral made by Tony Lloyd and Malcolm Phillips, who had counted the butteflies which are currently enjoying the decaying 'Brighton Belle' plums.
Perhaps that explains Pete's remarks.

Incidentally - your post now says this at the bottom-
Last edited by Chocky on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Susie had altered her post it would say this on hers as well - and it doesn't.

HTH

(Incidentally - I recall reading Chocky by John Windham in my youth. It was a young man posessed by aliens and hearing strange voices in his head.
He would be about your age by now...........................).
Cheers

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

I feel like I'm in the 'Twilight Zone' here!

Chocky, we all LOVE butterflies and everyone who's posted has appreciated your footage.

We liked it so much some of us want to try to recreate those conditions ourselves.

Now, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....
Susie

Post by Susie »

Chocky, I wrote no such thing and my post wasn't altered by me.

I am not sure what your problem is but as it's nothing to do with me i'll just let you stew in your wrongness and be wrong :lol:

Anyway, life's too short. Moving on .....
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Chocky
I think your video is fantastic and would have loved to have witnessed this spectacle myself. I think everyone else viewing it would have similar thoughts.

I am not sure how you have misinterpreted comments as I also can not see any negative comments in the posts. Maybe you misunderstood the :D

Hi Rogerdodge
I think a comment like this is only likely to antagonise somebody who wrongly thinks they have been ridiculed :roll: Surely this is all down to a misunderstanding :?: This is normally such a polite and well mannered forum, unlike some I have been on.
Rogerdodge wrote: (Incidentally - I recall reading Chocky by John Windham in my youth. It was a young man posessed by aliens and hearing strange voices in his head.
He would be about your age by now...........................).

Return to “Conservation”